• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Drop in polarising filters for bird shots (1 Viewer)

mikenott

Flawed but improving!
England
As it has been very quiet on here, I thought I woudl ask a question that has been perplexing me for a while. Is it worthwhile spending money on a polarising fillter (in my case a Canon PLC-52) into a 600m lens? I often go to a hide which faces east and the glare from the water is quite strong until about 2pm. I have often wondered whether a polarising filter woud make a difference to that glare?

Before anyone says - yes, I could go after 2pm! And yes - it woud probably drop a stop and the bird would still probably be silhouetted. But does it make enough difference to warrant a purchase or is it a big no-no?

Grateful for any thoughts

Michael.:flowers:

Unfortunately I no longer have an F4 600mm! With my Canon 300 F2.8 the filter is sometimes useful - but not very often. With my Canon 800 F5.6 L IS it simply costs too much light!

I have one but it is rarely used.

I was going to respond earlier, but events...
I have an EF 500 F/4L IS, and also the shorter 300 F/2.8L IS. Some years ago I bought the appropriate circular polarising filter, the 52mm, and after running some tests after purchase, haven't found any use for this filter. OTOH I do routinely use a circular polarising filter on my Legria HF G30 video camera - it's very useful when I'm shooting damselflies against the surface of a pond. If you are tempted, beware, there is a smaller size (49mm?) which fits the earlier range of Canon L lenses.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back