• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (9 Viewers)

Took a family road trip to Santa Fe and Albuquerque, New Mexico for a wedding last week, driving through northern Arizona along I-40 to get there, thus allowing me to see two new states...and four new life birds. In order...

#472: Broad-tailed Hummingbird - 8/7/14, Lowell Observatory, Flagstaff, AZ
#473: Canyon Towhee - 8/9/14, Randall Davey Audubon Center, Santa Fe, NM
#474: Chihuahuan Raven - 8/12/14, Kings Highway (NM 472), NM
#475: Juniper Titmouse - 8/12/14, Wildlife West Nature Park, Edgewood, NM

I dipped on a few other potential lifers I was hoping to see (most notably Common Nighthawk and Scaled Quail), but I did get to see a few species I hadn't seen in years (Virginia's Warbler and Curve-billed Thrasher, as well as "Gray-headed" Dark-eyed Junco), as well two likely future splits (the interior forms of White-breasted Nuthatch and Western Scrub-Jay), so overall, still a success.

I was recently on a large trip that took us through 16 states in the midwest and a little out west. (SD, WY, CO, NM, TX) I racked up 48 life birds! My latest was a Neotropic Cormorant in San Antonio.

Last of over 450 lifers in a three week trip to Peru - Junin Grebe. Also Spatuletail, Long-whiskered Owlet, White-winged Guan, both Crescentchests, 2 Tinamous, 5 Antpittas including Pale-billed - bird of the trip......

Carpooled with two other birders from L.A. up to Arroyo Grande in San Luis Obispo County (a 3-hour trip one way) on Friday to chase a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird hanging out at Brad Schram's feeders. As it happens, Schram is the author of ABA's A Birder's Guide to Southern California, so naturally I had him sign my copy for me while we were there. In any case, we lucked out, since the bird disappeared after Saturday morning.

Latest lifers from California

David - Yellow-breasted Chat (3 seen at Big Morongo)
Sarah - also saw YB Chats but then finally connected with Ladder-backed Woodpecker just before leaving the reserve

Latest ABA bird: the whiskered tern that was found in Cape May on Friday. Only the 3rd N. American record. Interestingly, the other two records were also at Cape May.

Yesterday, while on a wale-watching cruise out of Long Beach ("hijacked" by about a dozen birders, including myself), I saw several Black Storm-Petrels (#477), my first time seeing storm-petrels since 3 years ago when I saw my lifer Leach's and Fork-tailed on a pelagic trip out of Humboldt County.

That's cool enough by itself, but as the boat was pulling back into the harbor, our birder group found out about a pair of rare eastern warblers (Blackburnian and Bay-breasted) discovered at a nearby park along the L.A. River. Naturally, we set out to find them, and after about an hour's worth of searching (easy to do when there are a dozen birders all looking for the same thing), we picked up both, with Bay-breasted giving me a second, and most unexpected, lifer for the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back