• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Triangulation Software (1 Viewer)

Stritchy

Zoologist / Bonobo Habituator
Hi I need help. Over the summer I collected some data from radio tagged barn owls. With another researcher we collected a large amount of data. We collected a data point simultaneously (i.e at the sae time) from 2 different locations for 2 months.

With this data I am triangulating it on a map but by hand for each point. This involves using 2 compass overlays and drawing 2 lines then plotting where they cross. It is taking a long time.

Anyone know of software for a mac that can do this quicker for me?

Thanks

Not software, but a formula that might be of help if you have the national grid coordinates of your two data points.

In the olden days when I was a young land surveyor and we hadn't been exposed to computers, we had to set out and fix all of our local survey stations using a triangulation formula, seven figure logarithmic tables and a hand-cranked Facit adding machine.

If you have an electric calculator with scientific notation it should have the co-tangents (or 'cots') that you need to calculate your required location.

Consider your required point as being point 'C' on a triangle of points A, B and C (running clockwise). A & B are your known locations and the angles measured from them to Point C are 'a' and 'b'.

Here goes. I hope it's clear enough.

Eastings C = (Eastings A .cot b + Eastings B. cot a - Northings A + Northings B) / (cot a + cot b)

Northings C = ( Northings A. cot b + Northings B. cot a + Eastings A - Eastings B) / (cot a + cot b)

It's a formula I've not used since 1974, but just typing it brings back a lot of memories.

Hope it's some use to you.

Thanks,
I had a look at equations before settling on hand drawing the locations. As I have to plot the locations on a map afterwards anyway I though I might as well kill two birds with one stone (so to speak, I didn't actually hurt any owls)

I was looking for a way to quickly visualise point on a map.

I can however put that equation down as an alternative method when presenting my results.

I would look into GIS software such as ESRI.COM. You can purchase their home use version for around $100 or they have a lot of educational prices. Their software would require running a virtual windows machine or booting up in windows though.

I would look into GIS software such as ESRI.COM. You can purchase their home use version for around $100 or they have a lot of educational prices. Their software would require running a virtual windows machine or booting up in windows though.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have sorted it now by hand. I will consider this for future use though.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back