• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine Falcons - Manchester (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Just thought I would share this great piece of news with you all. On the BBC Look Northwest (news) programme tonight it was announced that work on the outside of the Manchester Piccadilly Plaza has been brought to a halt as there are a pair of Peregrine Falcons setting up home on top of the building. An architect is to design a special nest box for the birds, I hope he waits until next year before erecting it.

I wonder if Tom McKinney or anyone else in Manchester has seen the birds yet?

Ann

Hi Anne, great news and I hope they breed there successfully. Do you know if the pair that used to nest at Liverpool docks are still there.? I believe it was the old Imperial Tobacco building.

Hi Helen,

I wonder if they have taken the penthouse apartment? above the radio station or hotel? I wish they had moved in when I used to live in Manchester, what a sight that would have been.

Don't know about the Liverpool birds Johnny but if I hear anything will let you know.

Ann

You are talking about the hotel there, opposite Piccadilly gardens aren't you? Where the bus station is/used to be (not been for ages).

My wife who works in Manchester regularly sees one or other of the birds chasing Feral Pigeons through St Peter's Square.

They can also often be seen on the Portland Tower building.

Probably explains why we no longer see (or hear) Black Redstarts!

Oooh I'll be in Manchester again soon so will have a look out for them! It looks completely different there now, Piccadilly Gardens is all but gone. I used to like it when it was like a little park with grassy slopes, blossom trees and a fountain. Now it's all levelled-out concrete, a bit of grass and a few benches. *sigh*

the peregrines reared young on the dock warehouse and at least two other broods flew from other building nestsites in the merseyside area last year

There is a small article and photo about this in this morning's Daily Mirror. Also an piece about the Osprey's "Love Triangle" at Wythop Wood in Cumbria.

Thanks Carol, I used to listen to Eric Hardy on radio Merseyside who used to give out all the info on the local birds and wildlife unfortunately they dropped the programme when Eric became ill.

Johnny1 said:
Hi Anne, great news and I hope they breed there successfully. Do you know if the pair that used to nest at Liverpool docks are still there.? I believe it was the old Imperial Tobacco building.

Hi Johnny

The Liverpool Docks birds are still there, and appear to be brooding right now.

Mal

Rob Smallwood said:
One of the Manchester birds was showing very well yesterday soaring around Piccadilly.
That's good to hear, hoping to get up there soon. I'll be wandering over to Piccadilly to see them.

carol poole said:
anyone heard anything about the birds on liverpool cathedral

Hi Carol

I think that they only nested once, and that was some time ago. There is a pair in Birkenhead, and a pair in North Merseyside that I know to be regular breeders. Not sure about elsewhere in Merseyside.

Mal

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back