• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can't send emails out (1 Viewer)

Marmot

Can anyone help with this problem which has been happening over the past 4 days.

I use windows mail and I am unable to send any messages out but there is no problem whatsover with incoming messages.

I am getting this message after trying to send a test message. I have edited some details at begining.

An unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Cannot establish SSL with SMTP server [ I have taken my details out], SSL_connect error 10053', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

I have not downloaded anything new in this time although a few days ago when I turned my computer on it said it was starting with a black screen due to some problem [sorry cant remember reason]. We have ran full virus and cclean and spybot and none of these have picked anything up.

Can't help much, especially with little to go on :)
However, incoming and outgoing email communicate with different servers, or at least different addresses. Is it possible the email provider has changed the outgoing address, or has a fault at their end?
Otherwise maybe a firewall problem, but I'm not really very good at networking.

I would go into the mail program and look at the properties for the account to check that all settings still are what they should be according to the information you received from the provider.

Assuming that does not help, I would then contact the mail provider, they may have changed some setting somewhere (even down to which port communication need to go to) or they may have a technical problem.

Niels

Problem now sorted. A little more research revealed quiet a few people have had the same issue, spanning several months now. It look a lot more research to find a solution though. Virgin Media provided the solution on their website but it took a bit of locating.

The problem seems to be with the ISP (Virgin Media) changing servers or at least the server settings. Once changed from ntlworld.com and virginmedia.com and the ports changed, the email works fine again.

Just seems a little odd that only Marmots computer was affected and mine is okay, despite being connected through the same router/superhub.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back