• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Cyprus (Paphos) (1 Viewer)

Skelly

Durham Birder
I'm off to Cyprus in June and was wondering if anyone could recommend any good books on Birding in Cyprus, especially the Paphos area.

Skelly said:
I'm off to Cyprus in June and was wondering if anyone could recommend any good books on Birding in Cyprus, especially the Paphos area.

There are a couple of birdfinding guides for Cyprus, (one is a Birdguides by Dave Gosney) and they cover the Paphos area well. You should contact Birdlife Cyprus to find the current Birdline number and whether they are running an information centre this spring.

Steve

Steve Lister said:
There are a couple of birdfinding guides for Cyprus, (one is a Birdguides by Dave Gosney) and they cover the Paphos area well. You should contact Birdlife Cyprus to find the current Birdline number and whether they are running an information centre this spring.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I'll check Birdlife out.

Hi Skelly
I seem to remember that Dawn Balmer (BTO) put a request out for Cyprus info last week so she should be a good person for up to date info when she gets back. She is a BF member.

Steve

Skelly said:
Cheers John, the more help the better.

Skelly,

Go to Amazon; books, search, put BIRDS OF CYPRUS in the search and their are a few decent guides there. Not really bargains but helpful and just what you need. Don't get the Bannermans, you just need the cheap/ish guides.

John.

Skelly said:

Hi

I'm not long back from Cyprus (end of March) and had a great time. I've put some info under my own thread on Cyprus - have a look.

I used the Graham Hearl and Arthur Stagg book and found it to be very good. A few of the maps are a bit out of date now but you'll find you way around.

Paphos headland has changed such a lot since I last went 11 year ago. There is now a big fence all around the site (with various holes in so you can get in before the 8am opening time). Inside, it is very much overgrown but we managed to see quite a lot of good birds there. The areas around the diggings proved to be the best as the grass had been cut there. We found the around outside the fence, around the headland to be good for wheatears, although again the area is quite disturbed by joggers. I suggest you try to get out as early as possible in the mornings.

We found Cape Drepanum, north of Paphos, to be a good site. Again early or late visits were best when there was least disturbance.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. If you have a car there are several sites close to Paphos well worth a visit. Hiring a car is cheap and easy and well worth it. We hired in the UK from Holiday Autos (Europecar) for £55 for a week. We didn't find a four-wheeled drive was necessary anywhere.

Best wishes
Dawn Balmer

Dawn Balmer said:
Hi

I'm not long back from Cyprus (end of March) and had a great time. I've put some info under my own thread on Cyprus - have a look.

I used the Graham Hearl and Arthur Stagg book and found it to be very good. A few of the maps are a bit out of date now but you'll find you way around.

Paphos headland has changed such a lot since I last went 11 year ago. There is now a big fence all around the site (with various holes in so you can get in before the 8am opening time). Inside, it is very much overgrown but we managed to see quite a lot of good birds there. The areas around the diggings proved to be the best as the grass had been cut there. We found the around outside the fence, around the headland to be good for wheatears, although again the area is quite disturbed by joggers. I suggest you try to get out as early as possible in the mornings.

We found Cape Drepanum, north of Paphos, to be a good site. Again early or late visits were best when there was least disturbance.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. If you have a car there are several sites close to Paphos well worth a visit. Hiring a car is cheap and easy and well worth it. We hired in the UK from Holiday Autos (Europecar) for £55 for a week. We didn't find a four-wheeled drive was necessary anywhere.

Best wishes
Dawn Balmer
Many thanks Dawn.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back