• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1D MarkIII (1 Viewer)

Keith Reeder said:
Camera

Just having a bit of fun really - I've done the "early adopter" thing myself, and although it's always a risk, I reckon Canon will get it right (or thereabouts) first time.

Misfocussing 30Ds and underexposing 400Ds. Are you sure about that Keith.

I hope Canon do get it right, allowing for the price of the thing. Its just that there are issues with the last two camera's that they have released.

Paul

After seeing so many expert opinions about Canon, I am afraid that I might have to dig up the bottom of every drawer to see if I 've got enough "coins" to pay for the 1D mark III!

peteh said:
You will have a nice 22MP to play with there by all accounts.

Have you checked the specs on the camera it is only 10 MP...

And as for the new live view thing, I would never use it... it would just feel wrong and the only time i think it would come in handy is with remote shutter release for large primes otherwise it would considerably increase equipment shake to have your eye not on the camera...

paul goode said:
God help us, with a Live View LCD we'll have to put up with the ruddy things stuck at arms length outside hides 8-P

Allowing for the fact that the 1D is the favoured toy of the paparazzi, this part of Canons blurb conjures up an interesting mental picture. 'Live View mode enables photographers to frame without having to look through the viewfinder – particularly useful for shooting from awkward positions.'

Only when using a wide angle lens with plenty of DoF... 8-P

AF does not work in live-view mode...

It would be cool if there was a way to operate the focus remotely when using the live-view mode over a USB2.0 cable or wireless...

nigelblake said:
AF does work in live view mode, and live view also enables you to see the camera image when shooting remotely via a PC or laptop.
All details are here.. http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eos1dm3/index.html

Hi Nigel,

My reading of the literature and watching the FLASH demo for Live View is that you can only use this mode in manual focus. It might be possible to remotely adjust the focus, whilst looking at the LCD monitor, but again the paragraph is written in a way that the manual focus adjustment may be at the lens and not by clicking on a button on your PC.

Hopefully someone will clarify this soon.

Thanks

Austin

Keith Reeder said:
Nigel, this Flash movie on using Liveview suggests otherwise - the first thing you do is set the camera to MF:
http://tinyurl.com/2dumu7

Yeah Just seen this and another piece on Rob Galbraithes site, but I did see somewhere that AF worked and you could change the focus points for it remotely, also that you had 5x and 10x magnification via computer screen for fine focusing in manual mode, this also being used for lens (front/back adjustment) focus calibration

Aye, I've seen references to AF working in Liveview too, Nigel.

Unless there's some really meaty technical reason why AF can't work, I wonder why they've gone down the MF only route?

In Live View mode, the MF switch position could be to tell the camera to switch off the AF electronics in the camera and then listen for requests to adjust the focus via USB2.0. So you use the larger laptop screen and the 5x and 10x magnification facility and adjust the focus via USB 2.0 ( hopefully )

Alternatively, the Live View may just be a big screen viewing faciltiy and you still have to physically touch the lens to make the adjustments that can be seen on the larger screen.

We need a Live "Review" to clarify.

it states ajust Focus and Aspect Befor Live Viewing opperation so its Manul focus.
using the rear screen .
Rob

Ref. AF in Live View mode.
I have just been reading a US review from someone who has actually used the mk III and it appears that my earlier "wish" is not far from the truth. The focus CAN be adjusted in Live View Mode. 6 buttons on the laptop are used to adjust the focus manually whilst observing the effect on the laptop screen. The refresh rate of the image on the laptop used in the review was not brilliant but satisfactory.

Any news on the 1Ds MK III ?

what cf cards do we need for the mk3 to get the best write speed out of the camera ?
i use extreem 2 at the moment in my mk2 but with the mk3 i want the best :)
Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back