• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few final questions before I make the purchase (1 Viewer)

steveo

King Midas in reverse
United States
I'm pretty sure i'm gonna get the canon eos 30d with a sigma 170-500 lense. First obvious question is, are they compatable as is? Is this an overall good birding camera? Is 8.2 enough megapixels? Is this lense gonna be enough zoom.I probably sound redundant from my other post but i'm pretty ignorant with this stuff and this is a huge purchase for me that I don't want to screw up.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure i'm gonna get the canon eos 30d with a sigma 170-500 lense. First obvious question is, are they compatable as is? Is this an overall good birding camera? Is 8.2 enough megapixels? Is this lense gonna be enough zoom.I probably sound redundant from my other post but i'm pretty ignorant with this stuff and this is a huge purchase for me that I don't want to screw up.

Why not have a look at this thread - there's probably others as well.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=85297

I find the 8.2 MP of the 30D OK for bird photography, and the 5fps is more useful than the 3fps on my 5D.
Can't answer your question about that Sigma lens. I've had one Sigma rechipped. The other, a 500mm, and much more useful for bird photography is too old, so I now stick to Canon. Don't accept the lens unless you try it out stopped down on your 30D or whatever. It's just possible that it may work OK at full aperture, but not when stopped down. That's what stopped mine working.

Hi,

To answer your question re megapixel: in the film days a slide was often scanned in a resolution that allowed a 20*30 (cm) outprint in 300 dpi. That corresponds to 8.3 megapixel, and is pretty much what you can extract from a decent 100 ISO flim. So, yes it is enough. I can get high quality prints in 12*18 inch from my 8 mp Rebel XT.

Thomas

8.2mp is definitely enough, as others have said it will allow you to make large high quality prints.

All current Sigma lenses are compatibe wit DSLRs, however some of the older lenses (more than three years old) do not work properly on a DSLR. So if you are buying new you should be fine, but you do need to be a bit careful if you are buying secondhand. If you have any doubts about a lens being compatible you can always email Sigma with the serial number and they will be abel to confirm if it will be OK.

As for it being enough zoom... in most instances a 500mm lens will be excellent for birding, however there will be times when it just isn't enough. I think a 500mm lens will be fine, whatever lens you do end up with you'll want more reach at times.

As for it being enough zoom... in most instances a 500mm lens will be excellent for birding, however there will be times when it just isn't enough. I think a 500mm lens will be fine, whatever lens you do end up with you'll want more reach at times.

When does one have enough reach then!? 600mm + 3x converter! ;)

:clap: Thanks alot everybody i'm gonna buy it today your help has been indispensable.

The only point I would add is that you will not have any image stabilisation with Sigma which you will get if you buy the Cannon lense (depending on which one it is)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back