• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orion 10-25x42 Zoom Monocular (1 Viewer)

edwincjones

The Orion Telescope and Binocular Xmas catalog has a zoom monocular for $79.99.
It seems like a good idea, but I know zoom binoculars have a bad rep.
Anybody know anything about this zoom, or other zoom monoculars?

edj

You're not expecting a whole lot out of 80 bucks are you?

One review from Amazon sez hope springs eternal.

" ... don't like binoculars I can never get to where the image is clear with both eyes. I am very happy with this item. I can zoom all the way out and read the emblem on a refriderator in a guys yard at almost half a mile. Zoomed all the way out it's hard to keep from shaking but I was standing at the door to my office, not resting my arms on something."

Last edited:
I have had the 10 x 42 version for a couple of years. It's pretty good for the $45.00 I paid for it but it really needs a lightweight monopod to get it's best performance. It has a tripod adapter mounting thread in the center of the tube. Try it with a little Stoney Point Monopod. It won't be like using a little Nikon 50mm zoom scope but it could be a lot of fun.

Bob

you are not expecting a whole lot.........

today I picked up the grandkids at school
as I was waiting i noticed a bump on a tree limb a half mile or so away
used an 8x monocular and could just barely make out a hawk
extra mag would have been nice
then I thought of the above zoom monocular

are better quality zoom monoculars available-I have not been able to find others than this one under different names

edj

My only intention was if you didn't expect a whole lot out of 80 clams of glass then you wouldn't be disappointed. I know nothing about monoculars and precious little about binoculars save which end to look through.

It's bound to better than all those 30mm spyglasses. If I was going to look for one I think I'd snoop around some of the low power and less expensive older spotting scopes if size wasn't a problem.

I have an old LW 22x80 binocular and if it didn't weigh 3 1/4 lbs I couldn't hold it as steady as I do and 14x and 12x though providing smaller pics are clearer easier to steady and show more detail.

The monoculars came this week.
In comparison with my wife's Brunton Eterna 6x30 and a Minox MD8x42CWP,
optics not as sharp, less bright, but adequate for the price.

I plan on keeping in my truck as a compliment to my pentax papillios
when more detail, higher mag is needed.

edj

"I can zoom all the way out and read the emblem on a refriderator in a guys yard at almost half a mile. "

For those who are scratching their heads, this Arky would like to point out that some of us help keep Jeff Foxworthy in material. Besides the refer being in the yard is no big deal. They are rainproof and we have 50-foot extension cords all over the place.

Cheers,

WJC, ASU class of 1974 :D

Jay,

There is about 3+mm distance between the eye piece and the top of the eye cup.
The cup will fold down about 2mm. You might gain another 1/2 mm by removing the cup.

The zoom goes from 10x to 25x with a 1/4 turn of the eye piece.

edj

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back