• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid worth it ? (1 Viewer)

Hi Lee,

I am new to birding so no glue what Ammersee hotspot is good. All I can tell you is there are more lakes that are worth a trip. Chiemsee is where I live (70 km from Munich), Walchensee ... One of the best birding lakes orround here should be Neusiedler See National Park in Austria. Almost every TV Show I came across showed birds and birders there. It is in Austria though ... And have a look at the Mountains, Munich is next to the Alps, always worth a trip !

Thanks for all the info Max :t:
Prosit

Lee

I'm debating about purchasing the 8x42 Trinovid (model prior to current HD). I wanted to move from the 8x32 to the 8x42 format, but don't know that I want to spend SLC-HD/SV/Ultravid money. Oh the internal debates...

I'm debating about purchasing the 8x42 Trinovid (model prior to current HD). I wanted to move from the 8x32 to the 8x42 format, but don't know that I want to spend SLC-HD/SV/Ultravid money. Oh the internal debates...

Justin:

I know you have had some nice glass. I recently posted my thoughts
about the Trinovid models.
I found the Trinovid model you are referring to, lacking a bit in brightness,
although built very well like all of the good top Leica's.

The new Trinovid HD, is better to me in several ways, brightness, a better
sweet spot, and in a more slim better handling frame.
It compares well to the Conquest HD, which is a fine binocular.

Lots of choices now in the midrange, some new ones now hitting the
marketplace.

Decisions....

Good luck.

Jerry

Justin:

I know you have had some nice glass. I recently posted my thoughts
about the Trinovid models.
I found the Trinovid model you are referring to, lacking a bit in brightness,
although built very well like all of the good top Leica's.

The new Trinovid HD, is better to me in several ways, brightness, a better
sweet spot, and in a more slim better handling frame.
It compares well to the Conquest HD, which is a fine binocular.

Lots of choices now in the midrange, some new ones now hitting the
marketplace.

Decisions....

Good luck.

Jerry
Jerry,

Thanks, I will investigate your findings. The Trinovid is appealing from what I can recall mostly because of its physical qualities; I don't remember being a huge fan of the Trinovid for its prior asking price (~$1400) but have since found its closeout price more appealing. I will look into the 8x42 HD Trinovid as well, since it is likely in store at Cabela's, etc.

I'm leaning towards the 8x42 SLC-HD/SLC-WB but trying to justify not spending the money...

Why not buy a lightly used Ultravid? Seems good value. I'm usually not a fan of buying second hand, but my 2 year old Ultravid still looks as if it came right out of the box, you really need to abuse these bins to degrade their performance. So provided you can inspect the specimen before buying, why not go second hand?

Why not buy a lightly used Ultravid? Seems good value. I'm usually not a fan of buying second hand, but my 2 year old Ultravid still looks as if it came right out of the box, you really need to abuse these bins to degrade their performance. So provided you can inspect the specimen before buying, why not go second hand?

Look for Demos. Dealer's often have them and you get an 11 year warranty with them from Leica. I got a Demo 8x42 Ultravid Blackline and saved $300.00.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back