• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB discontinue Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski Bins from website (1 Viewer)

I gave my reasons in earlier post in this thread and I'm sure you find it.

Your reason was 'they should sell them'! Well glad you have such a well-thought out reason for your disappointment.

Must go down to my local supermarket now and find out what they don't sell, so I can vent my disappointment in the street outside.

Apologies, maybe I am just tired of the repetitive posts by this guy criticizing the RSPB at every turn.

Jos I can see your heart is in the right place and everyone on here has the right to feel frustrated with what other members post but expressing this using insulting language isn't acceptable.

I have been an RSPB member myself for 47 years and have at times felt exhilarated by their achievements and at other times frustrated. But as a retired businessman I know that running any organisation consisting of hundreds of people is difficult and mistakes are bound to be made. It is easy to stand on the sidelines criticising when you don't have to make those difficult choices yourself.

I also know that when someone irrationally criticises something you love, there is an all too human tendency to defend it irrationally too, to go to the other extreme just to balance out the unfairness you perceive. I have done this myself and to onlookers all they see is two irrational people. Don't be one of those people. You are quite capable of making your point eloquently without resorting to insults.

Now lets move on.

Lee

Just my two penn'rth...

High price ticket items (like alpha binos) would be a classic target for credit card chargeback fraud e.g. where the card payment is reversed as a fraudulent transaction by the legitimate cardholder AFTER the goods are received by the fraudsters (usually having been collected for them by a courier or taxi). It is possible that RSPB has been hit by a spate of these and doesn't have systems in place (or the resources at present) to properly verify all transactions.

One of our dealers explained to me that they have been regularly targeted over the years by organised "gangs" from overseas attempting to buy alpha-priced gear. The intimation was that once the "gang" gets a transaction through the dealers system, several more would follow - with optics costing £2,000 plus each that would get expensive for the dealer very quickly.

Relatively lower value items such as the Viking and RSPB branded products are not as attractive due to the need to purchase and resell many more to generate cash from the stolen items.

Cheers, Pete

Just my two penn'rth...

High price ticket items (like alpha binos) would be a classic target for credit card chargeback fraud e.g. where the card payment is reversed as a fraudulent transaction by the legitimate cardholder AFTER the goods are received by the fraudsters (usually having been collected for them by a courier or taxi). It is possible that RSPB has been hit by a spate of these and doesn't have systems in place (or the resources at present) to properly verify all transactions.

One of our dealers explained to me that they have been regularly targeted over the years by organised "gangs" from overseas attempting to buy alpha-priced gear. The intimation was that once the "gang" gets a transaction through the dealers system, several more would follow - with optics costing £2,000 plus each that would get expensive for the dealer very quickly.

Relatively lower value items such as the Viking and RSPB branded products are not as attractive due to the need to purchase and resell many more to generate cash from the stolen items.

Cheers, Pete

Thanks for this Pete.

Lee

Edwin,

I don't think you're correct there. The RSPB actually stock very little Alpha bins, they only have what is available on the reserve shops. Anything else is usually ordered through their supplier.

Anyhow, it shows how commercially inept they are in removing top end products from their website, which even if they don't sell that many of them would open a bigger window for potential sales of their own products.

Where do you think is the cheapest place to get Swarovskis atm? UK USA Germany?
Defiantly not in the motherland Austria, their factory store prices were more expensive then what I could get them for in Australia.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back