• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cabelas Euro HD? (1 Viewer)

Just got a Euro HD in the mail.

First thoughts are it's solid, heavy, and controls CA quite nicely. Will check it out more after work...

Right on. I've been wanting to see it as well. Is the only thing that has changed is the inclusion of ED glass? I look forward to your thoughts/review.

Thanks. Not sure how they compare to the old Euro as I've never seen one.

So far, not seeing any color casts that I've sometimes heard in regards to Meopta and white does look white. I'll compare them some more to my Minox APO HG 8x, but so far, they seem very nice. Only thing I noticed was a bit more distortion of straight vertical lines that are within 20 feet than the Minox. But there's so much less CA in the Euro HD... B :)If I remember right, probably a similar amount to the Zen ED2 7x but these are 10X.

Usual disclaimer: I'm very sensitive to CA, noticed it first at age 11. :eek!:

Last edited:
Thanks. Not sure how they compare to the old Euro as I've never seen one.

So far, not seeing any color casts that I've sometimes heard in regards to Meopta and white does look white. I'll compare them some more to my Minox APO HG 8x, but so far, they seem very nice. Only thing I noticed was a bit more distortion of straight vertical lines that are within 20 feet than the Minox. But there's so much less CA in the Euro HD... B :)If I remember right, probably a similar amount to the Zen ED2 7x but these are 10X.

Usual disclaimer: I'm very sensitive to CA, noticed it first at age 11. :eek!:

Dubbya Dubbya,

Thanks for that initial report on the 10x42 Cabela/Meopta HD. The CA control sounds excellent since the 7x ED2 has very low CA but you would expect that for a 7x ED bin.

I'm told my first words were "lights and balls" because we lived across from Palisades Amusement Park. My second two words were uttered after my parents bought me a pair of toy binoculars -- "color fringing". :)

According to Allbinos, the distortion (pincushion) in the 10x42 Meopta was found to start curving lines @ 34% +\- 4% from center.

That's fairly steep. By comparison my 10x35 EII, which shows just a bit of "Funhouse Effect" while panning, started curving lines at 49% +/- 4% from center.

They measured my 10x42 SE @ 61% +\- 3% from center. I see a slight "rolling" in the image sometimes, so that makes sense.

So far their findings seems to match my observations and yours. But here's where I part company. Allbinos measured the pincushion in the 10x42 HGL as starting 61% +\- 3% from center.

Huh? You mean the HGL has more pincushion than the SE? Not to my eyes. The full sized HGL's show more "rolling ball effect" than any other bins I've used, and that comes from a lack of distortion. Unless there's some "waving mustache effect" in the HGL whereby there's pincushion in the center and barrel distortion near the edges, this number can't be right.

We diverge even farther with the 10x42 EDG. For the EDG, Allbinos measured the first curved line starting at....
88% +\- 3% from center! To my eyes, the amount of pincushion in the EDG is similar to the SE.

Something's rotten in Polska.

Brocknrollingballer

I hope nothing is rotten in Polksa. After reading this thread and doing a little digging I couldn't resist the urge. No, I did not order one of the new HD models but I did take the plunge and order another 8x32 Meostar. I always loved that bin and really was sad when I had to sell it.

Well, lo and behold, I found one for an irresistable price so I grabbed it. Will report on it once it arrives. I look forward to comparing it directly to the Sightron that I have become so fond of.

;)

Dubbya Dubbya,

Thanks for that initial report on the 10x42 Cabela/Meopta HD. The CA control sounds excellent since the 7x ED2 has very low CA but you would expect that for a 7x ED bin.

I'm told my first words were "lights and balls" because we lived across from Palisades Amusement Park. My second two words were uttered after my parents bought me a pair of toy binoculars -- "color fringing". :)

:t::t: :-O

Not sure if this should be a separate thread:

CA:
Got to test them some more on a huge & mostly dead oak tree against a cloudy sky. Very little CA in the middle 25+ % of FOV or so. Just barely visible green on a few select branches, and even then it kind of went in and out of view. Per an allbinos style, I'd rate it negligible to vey low in center.

This also doesn't seem to one of those bins that go from almost no CA to a lot just a little off center. It increases fairly slowly and just on the outer 70-80 percent, I'd say medium. Didn't look for a slight blue rim because I don't care if it's that hard to see!

I had a sample of an SLC HD that did nowhere this good (it was just a touch less than the Minox) and had high CA past that 25-30 percent mark.
Of course, these are all non technical and personal observations, but at least it was the same day and roughly the same object/eye position (and same abnormal brain?). :eek!:

Distortion:
As far as the rolling 8 ball of doom, doubt you'll see it in the Euro HD. Distortion is pretty high, I'd say it starts about 30-35 percent off axis.

But it's not just where the distortion starts, it's how mild it is or isn't. My Minox has some too starting from around 45ish, but it's far, far more gradual and hard to notice. Even of outer margins look reasonably straight with just a touch of curving lines. The Euro HD in the outer 70-80 makes things look somewhat like Cupid's bow.

Edge Sharpness:
Well, it's not as sharp on the edge as the Minox. I'd say the outer 33 percent or so starts showing some darkening, loss of sharpness, blur, compression of vertical lines, etc. Hard to tell them all apart... The Minox is sharp to about 70 some and it's more of a gradual fall off.

I was comparing very textured tree trunks in the yard, and corduroy objects in the house and feeling in a picky mood. But wondering if the Minox Aspheric lenses make a difference...

Colors man:
No yellow tint here! And also not cold like the Ziess FL. I'd say it looks pretty neutral, although once I thought reds looked a tiny bit pink on a few trees, but maybe they were really pink in real life. It wasn't as scientific as my white (whitefish?) testing e.g. looking at a piece of paper, or my tuxedo cat, etc.

Also, not seeing the 10 percent difference in transmission between barrels that Allbinos saw in the 10x42 Meostar. Very little difference.

Brightness:
Still trying to think of a good test for this as I have no other 10X and my Minox's are very, very bright so hard to compare.

Resolution
Still need to properly test, but so far I don't see obvious issues.

Build Quality/Accessories:
Very sturdy looking and somewhat fat... but good looking... :eek!: Nothing seems too cheap on the bin itself. Fairly heavy at 30 ounces, but not as bad as Leupold, Kowa, etc. The weight seems to increase both steadiness and muscle pain at the same time - still trying to figure that one out.

Accessories are ok to very good, with a nice wide (at more than 2 inches) padded neck strap and a wool case.

The rainguard is very good, but I would have liked the objective lens caps to be much more firm/sturdy. The way they are now, if you press down on them a bit while putting them on, it might make them touch the glass, which isn't recessed quite as far as some bins out there.

The cleaning cloth looks nice with the Meopta logo, but left a few little pieces of itself when I used it on the lenses at first. Seems better now, though.

Feel/Karma:

The bins are quite nice to hold, with thumb indents underneath that are wide so you don't have to steal a pair of elf thumbs like you normally would.
Focus was a bit stiff and hard in 1 direction at first, but that went away pretty fast. The travel takes around 1.5 turns, which isn't bad.
Eyecups twist out, but don't seem to have intermediate stops on them. Considering they are fairly stiff and don't go that far because of 15mm eye relief, doubt it's much of an issue. I'd say the effective eye relief is about 11mm, though.

I really, really like the lack of strap lugs intruding on my focusing finger. They are about as high as the top of the focus wheel, so they are out of the way. The lugs are also recessed a lot which is good, but makes it take a bit longer to get the strap on.

Other thoughts:

Coatings - not sure how they are supposed to look, but seems Purple/Pink/Orange on the objectives, Yellow on prisms and Green/Pink/Orange on the eyepieces. Don't quote me on this, though.

It doesn't seem like there's any rain repellant "Nano" coating or whatever on these. But I've seen lenses that are a fair amount harder to clean than the Euro HD's.

They also have a good, hearty smell... But not as yummy as the Minox ones. Much better than the cheap deals I've bought and returned, though...

Overall:
I'm still thinking of if I should keep them. I guess the only concerning thing is edge sharpness, which I really looked hard for in testing. But maybe with 15mm eye relief, I'll never see the edges. But they certainly deliver on their most advertised quality of less CA! :t: Nice to see ED glass in sub $1000 euro bins... o:D

P.S. As this is a somewhat abbreviated and non technical review, if you want to know anything else, please ask! Pictures will follow, perhaps tonight/tomorrow as the ones on Cabela's site as difficult to see.

Last edited:
:t::t: :-O
Not sure if this should be a separate thread:

CA:
Got to test them some more on a huge & mostly dead oak tree against a cloudy sky. Very little CA in the middle 25+ % of FOV or so. Just barely visible green on a few select branches, and even then it kind of went in and out of view. Per an allbinos style, I'd rate it negligible to vey low in center.

This also doesn't seem to one of those bins that go from almost no CA to a lot just a little off center. It increases fairly slowly and just on the outer 70-80 percent, I'd say medium. Didn't look for a slight blue rim because I don't care if it's that hard to see!

I had a sample of an SLC HD that did nowhere this good (it was just a touch less than the Minox) and had high CA past that 25-30 percent mark.
Of course, these are all non technical and personal observations, but at least it was the same day and roughly the same object/eye position (and same abnormal brain?). :eek!:

YMMV, for sure, but still good news on the CA front. I've seen a fair number of ED bins at this point, and I found that they vary in their ability to suppress color aberration even at the same magnification and even at the top tier, as you mentioned as I've seen myself.

Which, like Marvin Gay, makes me wonder: What's Going On?

I know all ED glass is not created equal, but "how comes" (to use Bradford, Pa. slang) a $400 Celestron 10x50 ED porro can suppress CA better than a $2,000 10x42 EDG roof? Surely the ED glass must be as good if not better at the top tier.

Same thing with the 7x42 Ubervid HD vs. the 7x36 ED2. How can cheaper bins outperform much more expensive ones in terms of CA control when both have ED glass? I haven't tried the the ubers but read reports of CA even in the HD model (in fact, most reports state that the HD didn't do much if anything in regard to CA control).

For example, on this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=108416

What other factors affect CA besides how low the dispersion of the glass?

Distortion:
As far as the rolling 8 ball of doom, doubt you'll see it in the Euro HD. Distortion is pretty high, I'd say it starts about 30-35 percent off axis.

But it's not just where the distortion starts, it's how mild it is or isn't. My Minox has some too starting from around 45ish, but it's far, far more gradual and hard to notice. Even of outer margins look reasonably straight with just a touch of curving lines. The Euro HD in the outer 70-80 makes things look somewhat like Cupid's bow.

Interesting point. I thought where the bowing started was an indication of how severe the pincushion is since it gets worse near the edges. So if straight lines start bending at 33% out, you know that at 70% its going to be much worse. If it starts at 45% out, it's not going to be as bad as the 33% bin at 70% out.

The distortion level in the Cabela/Meopta is a "red flag" for me, because it might bother me like the way the distortion in the ZR 7x36 ED2 did.

Edge Sharpness:
Well, it's not as sharp on the edge as the Minox. I'd say the outer 33 percent or so starts showing some darkening, loss of sharpness, blur, compression of vertical lines, etc. Hard to tell them all apart... The Minox is sharp to about 70 some and it's more of a gradual fall off.

I was comparing very textured tree trunks in the yard, and corduroy objects in the house and feeling in a picky mood. But wondering if the Minox Aspheric lenses make a difference...

Which Minox model are you referring? Some of their models have very conservative FsOV, so it would be easier to make the edges sharp on those models.

I prefer bins whose sharpness falls off at the edges gradually so it's hardly noticeable when panning. Sounds like the Meopta stays sharp to a good way out but then fall off sharply at the edges from the way you described it, with a combination of distortions, even though allbinos rates the edge sharpness as a 7 out of 10 with the first blur occurring at 87% out! 7 out of 10? I wonder how many bins are still sharp at 87% out?

To get a "10" you might have to go so low on pincushion distortion, it could create the "rolling ball effect," at least for those of us who are sensitive to it.

Colors man:
No yellow tint here! And also not cold like the Ziess FL. I'd say it looks pretty neutral, although once I thought reds looked a tiny bit pink on a few trees, but maybe they were really pink in real life. It wasn't as scientific as my white (whitefish?) testing e.g. looking at a piece of paper, or my tuxedo cat, etc.

Also, not seeing the 10 percent difference in transmission between barrels that Allbinos saw in the 10x42 Meostar. Very little difference.

Glad to hear they got rid of the tint in the full sized models. They are apparently looking to reach out to buyers beyond the hunting community.

You'd notice a difference of 10% in brightness. It could be that allbinos had a defective sample.

I noticed a difference in brightness and contrast btwn the two barrels in the 10x42 HG I bought. When I looked down the objectives, I saw one surface that was coated on one side wasn't on the other. The HG was returned to the store for a refund.

Brightness:
Still trying to think of a good test for this as I have no other 10X and my Minox's are very, very bright so hard to compare.

Cloudy days are the best test unless you plan to use the bins at twilight. That's when differences in brightness will show up.

Resolution
Still need to properly test, but so far I don't see obvious issues.

... snipped....

Feel/Karma:

The bins are quite nice to hold, with thumb indents underneath that are wide so you don't have to steal a pair of elf thumbs like you normally would.
Focus was a bit stiff and hard in 1 direction at first, but that went away pretty fast. The travel takes around 1.5 turns, which isn't bad.
Eyecups twist out, but don't seem to have intermediate stops on them. Considering they are fairly stiff and don't go that far because of 15mm eye relief, doubt it's much of an issue. I'd say the effective eye relief is about 11mm, though.

I really, really like the lack of strap lugs intruding on my focusing finger. They are about as high as the top of the focus wheel, so they are out of the way. The lugs are also recessed a lot which is good, but makes it take a bit longer to get the strap on.

Other thoughts:

Coatings - not sure how they are supposed to look, but seems Purple/Pink/Orange on the objectives, Yellow on prisms and Green/Pink/Orange on the eyepieces. Don't quote me on this, though.

It doesn't seem like there's any rain repellant "Nano" coating or whatever on these. But I've seen lenses that are a fair amount harder to clean than the Euro HD's.

They also have a good, hearty smell... But not as yummy as the Minox ones. Much better than the cheap deals I've bought and returned, though...

Overall:
I'm still thinking of if I should keep them. I guess the only concerning thing is edge sharpness, which I really looked hard for in testing. But maybe with 15mm eye relief, I'll never see the edges. But they certainly deliver on their most advertised quality of less CA! :t: Nice to see ED glass in sub $1000 euro bins... o:D

P.S. As this is a somewhat abbreviated and non technical review, if you want to know anything else, please ask! Pictures will follow, perhaps tonight/tomorrow as the ones on Cabela's site as difficult to see.

As you, JB, Roadbike and I have said in different ways: A bin is more than the sum of its parts.

Your example of the different things going on at the edges of the Meopta shows that measuring an isolated factor and putting a value to it in terms of how favorable or not favorable it is doesn't give you the "big picture" of what's going on, and can even be misleading.

So what to do? Don't measure edge sharpness, CA, distortion, etc? Add the multiple effects that effect edges together for a total? That wouldn't work if one of those effects was field curvature since that varies depending on the user's eyes.
Now review will tell you more than trying a bin for yourself, but not everyone lives in a big city or has a big store like Cabela's within driving distance. And not everybody has a $4,000 credit line on their credit cards or even if they do would use it for purchasing two or more binoculars to compare. So many people rely on expert reviews and other users' opinions to make their purchase decisions.

More experienced and knowledgeable users can "read in between the lines" of reviews and pick out prejudices that the reviewer might have. For example, with allbinos, edge sharpness and low distortion are two "ideals" that everyone might not share equally.

Even if a bin is sharp to 87% out, it's only going to get a 7 out of 10 pts. Even if a bin's low distortion makes panning look like a view in a carnival "Funhouse" mirror, the bin is going to score high in that category.

It's fair to give opinions at the end of the review in the commentary section, but inevitably reviewers' biases enter into the values they assign the results of each of the characteristics they evaluate.

So how do you remove the "human factors" from reviews? A better question: Is it even desirable to do remove the "human factors" in a review?

I used to think so but don't anymore. I'm not looking for an abstract list of numbers from some robotic reviewer. I want informed opinions but opinions none-the-less. Real people looking through the tubes and telling you want they think.

What I would like to see, however, is some standardization in testing methodologies. Henry's questioning of allbinos methodology, Kevin's questioning of Stephen Ingraham's methodology, and the "Tech Wars" BF thread where three experts squared off against each other debating results in arc seconds suggests to me that "objective" tests might not be as objective as we think.

Having some international standard might help make the numbers more honest, and the reviews can still insert their interpretation of those numbers with "points" they give each of those factors based on what they think are the most desirable characteristics. IOW, give their opinions about the standardized results. Otherwise, why would you bother to read the review if all it contained were number values you could get in any review?

Given such standardization does not currently exist, and that the point values are weighted on the biases of each reviewer's personal likes and dislikes, those of us who read reviews to influence our purchase decisions, would be well advised not rely on any one reviewer or any one user opinion, but collect as many opinions as possible, find areas of agreement, and knowing what your own likes and dislikes are, make a personal "pros and cons" list, giving each a point value based on how important each characteristic is for YOU.

Armed with that personalized perspective, you will be in a better position to make a purchase decision. However, you might still get a surprise as I did the first time I looked through a full sized Nikon HG. I read every review I could find, but none warned about the now infamous "rolling ball effect".

Thanks to users reporting this effect, more reviewers are aware of it now and some reviewers such as Holger Merlitz make mention of it in their reviews when binoculars have very low distortion.

Similarly, chromatic aberration, which was rarely mentioned years back is now a regular staple of most reviews.

I think users reporting what they see through binoculars also helps companies get feedback on their bins so they can make adjustments when certain features are found lacking.

The "slow" EL focuser, the "veiling glare" in the first gen. 7x36 ED2, the rough Ultravid focusers, and the original Zeiss Victory's "meat hook" strap lugs.

This is why, for example, I keep harping on the uneven smoothness in Swaro focusers and posting links to others who have found the same issue with their samples. I know Swaro can do better, for $2K, it should do better.

It must do better if the company expects me and other "picky" users who have spoiled by the smooth focusers of the Nikon HG or EDG or Zeiss FL to "join the Swaro family of optics".

Brock

Last edited:
I think the level or degree of materials/correction throughout the entire optical path of the instrument also plays a role.

Makes sense but it that's the case why can't Leica reduce the CA as much as lower priced bins even with the addition of HD glass? The optical glass is from Schott, can't ask for better materials than that.

As far as the correction, German optical engineers are supposed to be the best. Are Leica engineers slacking off?

I suggested, as Renze did on the above thread I linked to, that color balance might be a factor in why some top bins show more CA than others since both the Ultravid and Nikon HG have user reports/reviews of greater than average CA, as in this article from Alula Magazine by Kimmo Absetz, but Henry shot down that theory faster than the Red Baron, and Kimmo included the EL in his comparison, which is not as "warm" as the Ultravid and HG:

"Leica image has considerably more chromatic aberration [than Z Fls], being roughly equal in this respect to the similarly sized Nikon HG and Swarovski EL models. However, people differ greatly in how easily they perceive chromatic aberration and in how much it bothers them."

Couldn't resist adding this part for Dennis :):

"The contrast of the 32mm Zeiss is good, but not on the level of the Ultravid or Zeiss’ 42mm FLs."

And here, Kmmo demonstrates that one man's "natural" view is another man's "surreal," to answer a question somebody asked me earlier about if the views through the EII or SE looked more "natural":

"The Zeiss models have a slight yellow bias, while the Ultravid has a slight reddish-brown bias, which makes black and very dark colours seem deeper and more natural than in the Zeiss. Users generally felt that the Ultravid showed more vibrant colours, but the FL’s relative lack of chromatic aberration cleans up the colours, as it were, whereby there is less colour “spillover” in the image."

Here's the entire article:

http://www.lintuvaruste.fi/hinnasto/optiikkaarvostelu/optics_12_zeiss_leica32mm_GB.shtml

Brock

Brock, my Minox is the 8x43 APO HG and one of the made in Germany ones. FOV is decent at 379 feet at 1000 yards. It's a wonderful bin and almost perfect in every way, except it has too much CA on the edges for good wintertime use. Hardly notice any when the sun is shining, or when using in the woods, but as you said, clouds are a good test...

The Euro HD is a bit softer on the edges, but to be honest, it's really hard to put numbers on it. Maybe the last 30 percent or so compared to a slightly more gradual softening on the last 25 percent of the Minox. But the Minox costs 50-70 percent more retail.

As the non HD Meopta got pretty good results on blur at edge of FOV on allbinos, I am wondering if my test is perhaps more severe. I think they use graph paper, I was using tress with tiny, tiny bits of lichen and noted even the slightest blurring on them. Or something changed, or they had a better sample. Could be so many things.

As for the distortion, to me it seems that it can start fairly soon, but still be fairly mild in curvature. I don't know anything about the technical possibilities for that, but to my eyes, it sure seems like that is what's going on.

I'm not too bothered by distortion being there or being absent. I could hardly (if at all) tell the difference on that one URL that had an example with/without RB. Maybe I should have tried the Swarovision? :king:

But everyone likes/dislikes certain things, but it seems we agree on CA! If I ever run for office, my platform will be making it punishable by heavy fines and heavy labor. :smoke:

I still need to get my camera working, but I was able to use the Euro HD some more and I'm quite impressed. Another wonderful cloudy and rainy day and very, very little CA. The Robins, Red bellied woodpeckers & Jays looked great closer up than 8x and almost no CA except so far on the edge I could hardly see it. And definitely no color cast that I could see, much like the view through the swaro scope.

I agree that there should be some standard way of testing, if people could agree on a standard. Maybe it would require noted legal experts, sub committees and be no less with 6.7 inches thick, single spaced.

Last edited:
8x42 HD arriving when?

I really want the meopta 8x42's in HD. Anyone know if they will be available before x-mas? Or are the standard meostars just as good? Anyone know?

I really want the meopta 8x42's in HD. Anyone know if they will be available before x-mas? Or are the standard meostars just as good? Anyone know?

Hi,

Meopta does not have any concrete plans on releasing the Meostar B1 8x42 as an HD version... not for 2011-12 anyway.

It sounds like Meopta should start work on this one. Demand is there
already. Not everyone wants a 10X.

Meopta's decision to upgrade the 10x42 to HD first rather than the 8x42 appears to be due to Cabela's, which requested the upgrade to their 10x42 Euros:

"Cabela’s relentless pursuit of superior optics led us to Europe, where we partnered with a glass company renowned for excellence. We asked them to improve our already excellent Euro binoculars by drawing on the level of expertise that prompted NASA to use their optics in the space shuttle and the U.S. Army to install them in tanks. The result is our Euro HD..."

I am surprised, however, that the 8x42 Meostar HD will not be following suit next year. Meopta already has the design and ED glass developed. Given the price of alphas these days, I would think that a high quality 8x42 roof that costs half the price of an alpha would get scooped up, so what's holdin' up the woiks?

Joe Palooka

Meopta's decision to upgrade the 10x42 to HD first rather than the 8x42 appears to be due to Cabela's, which requested the upgrade to their 10x42 Euros:

"Cabela’s relentless pursuit of superior optics led us to Europe, where we partnered with a glass company renowned for excellence. We asked them to improve our already excellent Euro binoculars by drawing on the level of expertise that prompted NASA to use their optics in the space shuttle and the U.S. Army to install them in tanks. The result is our Euro HD..."

I am surprised, however, that the 8x42 Meostar HD will not be following suit next year. Meopta already has the design and ED glass developed. Given the price of alphas these days, I would think that a high quality 8x42 roof that costs half the price of an alpha would get scooped up, so what's holdin' up the woiks?

Joe Palooka

Hi,

Honestly, mostly it's just time. But you are correct, the Cabela's demand called for a 10x42 HD first and foremost. I agree that the 8x42 HD makes sense and will have large demand, but for next year it's not possible to get it rolled out to stores.

Thanks!

I should be getting a new Euro HD in the mail soon. I'd talked to Cabelas and they tended to think I got a bad sample because of the less than ideal edge sharpness.

Everything I've ever read about Meopta's non HD 10x42 seems to say the the field is almost totally flat. Hoping they still have a field flattener lens in the Euro HD. MeoptaMan, do you know?

If the edges were sharper, I'd say the bin is darn close to perfect for me...

I too would like to see an 8x42 model with ED glass.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back