• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zenith 6x42 roof (1 Viewer)

looksharp65

Sweden
A very long time ago, I had an ongoing opportunity to look through a smaller number of binoculars when I had a summer job at an optician's shop.
There were not many of them, but there were two I loved to look through again and again. The first was a Swarovski SLC 8x30 which I thought perfect but also rather uninspiring and highly expensive.

The other really wowed me every time. It was a fairly cheap Japanese roof prism with the very moderate 6x magnification and tall barrels.
There was a very elongated, knurled focus knob covering all of the center axis's length between the two hinges. It moved the eyepieces just like with porros. Its surface was coated with black rubber. Eyecups were foldable rubber.

The environment where I used it didn't reveal any weaknesses. On the contrary, I found its image extremely natural, 3D-ish, bright and colour correct.
It must be told that the only reference I had at that time was the Jenoptem 8x30 and that SLC. A few years later, I was totally amazed with the Bushnell Discoverer 7x42 :-O

It was a long time since I regularly browsed the local ad sites, but when I did today, I found this gem again. And I couldn't help but think I have to meet it again. Looking at the specs (field 8.3 degrees), apparently not waterproof, maybe with a rocking ocular bridge and with my much more blasé eyes (not to mention with smaller pupils than 25 years ago...) I do realise it will probably not stand out as amazing as back then.

Anyway, for old times' sake I couldn't help but place a bid where I couldn't go terribly wrong if it's a dud.

//L

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back