• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song Sparrow Feeding Cowbirds Under Feeder (1 Viewer)

jward

I noticed a song sparrow feeding two Brown Headed Cowbirds below my feeder yesterday evening. I sat and watched her (?) picking seeds from the ground and feeding them to the two chicks. I can not express how saddened it made me at first. I can only assume that the song sparrows natural offspring did not survive. She was working so quickly to satisfy their appetite!

While I am still a bit saddened, I have changed my perspective somewhat. It can only be said that nature is playing out its cold, balanced hand. In the end, I suppose that is the way things should be.

Any thoughts on this? Has it happened to you, and if so what did you do???

Yes, the Song Sparrow was carrying out nature's role. For some readers who may not know, the Sparrow was an unwitting foster mother to the cowbirds. The cowbirds are "brood parasites" by nature and lay their eggs in the nests of other species. In this case, the cowbird chicks hatched in the Sparrow's nest with her own, but then quickly outgrew the sparrow chicks and likely "starved" them to death. I've seen this also and agree it is sad.

jward said:
I noticed a song sparrow feeding two Brown Headed Cowbirds below my feeder yesterday evening. I sat and watched her (?) picking seeds from the ground and feeding them to the two chicks. I can not express how saddened it made me at first. I can only assume that the song sparrows natural offspring did not survive. She was working so quickly to satisfy their appetite!

While I am still a bit saddened, I have changed my perspective somewhat. It can only be said that nature is playing out its cold, balanced hand. In the end, I suppose that is the way things should be.

Any thoughts on this? Has it happened to you, and if so what did you do???

As Dave points out Brown-headed Cowbirds are nest parasites and it is just natural behaviour and I'd feel privileged to witness it. As for the question what can you do? then the answer is nothing and nor should you. As you said yourself, it's the way things should be. It's not as though the Song Sparrow parents are actually saddened that their natural offspring have perished.

E

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back