• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrines at Symond's Yat Rock - Volunteers needed! (1 Viewer)

Denis

Gwent Wildlife Trust
Hello,

Whilst some of you will know me from my postings in the Moths area and elsewhere on Birdforum - many of you won't so a here's a few words by way of an introduction!

After working in the high-tech rat race for 25 years I decided I'd finally had enough and am now, at the ripe old age of 43, trying to build a new career in conservation. I've been extremely fortunate to have landed my first job - with the RSPB at the Peregrine viewing project at Symond's Yat in the Forest of Dean from March 28th until Sept 2nd. Some details of project can be found here.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/brilliant/peregrines/index.asp

The reason for this posting is to see if any Birdforum members would be interested in volunteering - to come up and help us with our work over the summer? It's a great opportunity to help to educate and inspire the public about all things bird related and also to enjoy some great views of the breeding Peregrines in a truly outstanding setting high above the river Wye.

Some volunteers come for day or two a week through the season whilst others take advantage of the residential program to join us for a week or more - it's really up to you and how much time you have available.

If you think you might be interested in taking part, please drop me an email in the first instance with your contact details and we can have a chat about what's involved. No previous experience or special skills are needed just an interest in birds and the ability to pass on your enthusiasm to the public.

Many Thanks

Denis Jackson

To the moderator of this forum

Could this be a sticky?
It might get lost otherwise and it seems like a great opportunity for BF members to get involved with.

Thanks

Congratulations on the job Denis.
I haven't got the time to volunteer but look forward to seeing you up there over the summer.

It's a bit far for me, but I hope you'll get a good response from this. Sounds like a fantastic thing to do, I've been to Symonds Yat and watched the Peregrines and it's an awe-inspiring place.

Hello again!

Sorry to be a pain but we STILL need some volunteers....especially for our Family Fun Day event on March 30th.

Pleeeaaasssse think about coming up to give us a heand - you really will enjoy it.

Thanks

Denis

Just a quick reminder for anyone looking for a few hours out today.

I'm 20 or so miles away from this venue, the drizzle has stopped - looks like it will brighten up some more. Visibility is clearing,already about 1 to 5km.

And I'm stuck with a broken car!

Sorry Denis, I'd meant to 'bump' this up a couple of days ago - hope your day works out well!

Cheers,

Andy.

HI Guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding - this week has been manic.

I'm afraid our "Fun Day" was a bit of a washout. It rained here almost continuously for 36 hours and as a result, we only saw 12 kids all day. On the whole though, we have had a good week with great views of the Peregrines, Goshawk seen every day and the first spring migrants coming through - swallows, willowchiffs and the like.

In terms of volunteering for the summer, we'd certainly be greatful for your help Alex. You can really do as much or as little as you wish. Some of our volunteers simply come and help the public to see the birds - point the telecsopes in the right direction, point out passing migrants and the like whilst others want to get involved in membership recruitment. It can be surprising to us birders just how much trouble folks who aren't used to using telescopes can have trying to spot a distant, cryptic bird so you do need to be patient and prepared to answer questions like "so what do Peregrines eat then" many times during the day.

The rewards come from the exclamations of joy we get several times an hour from those people seeing these magnificent birds for the first time. I must repeat again though, you don't need to be an expert on birds.

Alex, can I suggest if you think you might want to join us that you PM me with your phone number and we can have a chat.

Cheers

Denis

PS We thought earlier today that our female had started laying but then later in the day they were seen mating again so now we're not so sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back