• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you prefer a Binocular or Camera? (1 Viewer)

I can't comment on Twite's birding skills, but his social skills seem to be stunted. I assume he's very young, and perhaps time will help him with the arrogance problem.
In any case, you're right;it's a waste of time to bandy words with a twit(e).

|:x|

I'm a birder and a bird photographer.

I cut my teeth in simply birding, bins and scope, many years ago before expanding into photography in the past decade and half. I certainly would not have had the same benefit of field skills should I have gone down the photo/camera route only from the outset, not that option was really plausible when I started 30 pre digital years ago.

Binoculars are fundamental to the core basics of birding and becoming a better birder, cameras really do not serve the same purpose in my view.

True you can look at a bird through a camera's view finder, and I have learnt much over the years through doing this but this is only after a particualr bird has already been located by using Binoculars. Observing behaviour, plumage etc has all been done whilst waiting for that special shot however it is the experience of using a pair of bins that really provides the 'in the field experience' of watching the bird to its maximum potential. A camera is to take the memory and preserve on a screen on a print as a single snap shot.

I go birding and have a camera over my shoulder incase I should find something that takes my interest in photographing and preserving the moment, I certainly would never ever ever leave my bins behind.

Should I really have to chose between the purpose of the thread here, Bins or Camera, I would go with Binoculars every time and thats from someone who loves taking photos.

Where a camera lets you down is those fleeting glimpses, those briefest of encounters. Let me give a little example. The other day I was lucky enough to kick up a wryneck while birding my local patch - I had it in my bins, in focus, for what must have been less than a second. Not very long, but long enough to know what it was.

There is no way on earth I'd have got a suitable shot with a camera. It would have ended up a suspected wryneck, rather than a confirmed one.

It would have ended up a suspected wryneck, rather than a confirmed one.

Does of course sometimes work the other way - quick snap of a distant fleeting bird, zooming up on screen letting you study the finer points, etc.

And the category of "took a picture of a Little Auk off Dawlish, but got home and thought something odd..."

Does of course sometimes work the other way - quick snap of a distant fleeting bird, zooming up on screen letting you study the finer points, etc.

And the category of "took a picture of a Little Auk off Dawlish, but got home and thought something odd..."

But would you have been able to re-find the next day with a camera? ;)

Eventually binoculars will follow the way some scopes are heading and have a camera built in which will solve both arguements, the battery though will probably be the size of a small volkswagon.

For me, a camera all the way. Partly because I've yet to find bins that will open wide enough to fit my eyes. But mostly because i love taking pictures.

For those critical of people like me who take a picture and post it for an ID... If you don't want to reply to us lesser birders, don't. Thankfully, there are many individuals who, like me, love to look at a photo and try to analyze what type of bird it is and share that info with the photographer. And, also thankfully, many of them are better at it than i am.

I would say that most of the photos I post are crappy, because if I got a good photo, I would have gotten the id myself. I might look into the gallery functions more so I could post some better stuff.

But, back to the point, a camera all the way.

i like (anymore) to use a small 'point and shoot' when the feelin' hits me. 'closer' is always better - unless you're a real photographer with real lenses. the above shot is from 12 inches away.

Attachments

• 230917_223396424353385_100000490868800_902950_1512693_n.jpg
    230917_223396424353385_100000490868800_902950_1512693_n.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 64
Where a camera lets you down is those fleeting glimpses, those briefest of encounters. Let me give a little example. The other day I was lucky enough to kick up a wryneck while birding my local patch - I had it in my bins, in focus, for what must have been less than a second. Not very long, but long enough to know what it was.

There is no way on earth I'd have got a suitable shot with a camera. It would have ended up a suspected wryneck, rather than a confirmed one.

though last year i took a pic of a passing flock of migrating teal, it wasn't till i got home and looked at the picture on the computer that i realised one of the birds was a female red crested pochard, and all the birds were too far away to see properly with bins

Carry them both. There have been instances when I had one or the other and regretted not having the other. Like they say - the grass is always greener...

I've always thought that for photographers there is the added benefit of satisfying the human hunting instinct without the bang and gore. I've been a birdwatcher for over 50 years, but only in the last 20 or so have I been photographing them, and I find it immensely satisfying to get a good shot of any bird - my photos are my "trophies". I'll get as big a buzz out of a good shot of a Spuggie knowing that what fieldcraft I have has enabled me to get it, as seeing a distant rarity that I have no chance of shooting.

I've always thought that for photographers there is the added benefit of satisfying the human hunting instinct without the bang and gore. I've been a birdwatcher for over 50 years, but only in the last 20 or so have I been photographing them, and I find it immensely satisfying to get a good shot of any bird - my photos are my "trophies". I'll get as big a buzz out of a good shot of a Spuggie knowing that what fieldcraft I have has enabled me to get it, as seeing a distant rarity that I have no chance of shooting.

In total agreement....When you first use bins!...and are aiming at a sitting.. then a flying target you invariably fail to connect..once you get your ''eye in'' and are able to reference matrix the subject to the background (more often than not)..on a firing from the hip basis there is a great sense of self achievement. I too have taken up ''imaging'' over the last nine years..and if push came to shove..although I would find it a wrench! my existing 30x bridge camera would win at day-end. Yes I might miss the odd bird...but hey!..being able to access the images of that fast moving warbler..and to be (If your lucky) able to count the emarginations plus all the other detail that your ''minds-eye'' can't see or recall...then I believe that's a price worth paying...but then..I carry both..total weight 3lbs, and I never leave home without them. :)

Last edited:
Isnt the simple answer to this thread that a someone who is predominately a photographer will take a camera and someone who is predominately a birdwatcher will take binoculars?

Isnt the simple answer to this thread that a someone who is predominately a photographer will take a camera and someone who is predominately a birdwatcher will take binoculars?

Perhaps twenty plus years ago it might have been that straightforward, nowdays with the advent of digiscoping, and lightweight Bridge cameras, the goalposts may have moved somewhat (might be interesting to know..if possible what percentage of birders now use a camera..as opposed to those that don't when they bird, as compared to yester-year?

This thread made me curious and I borrowed a superzoom camera from a friend.

I have never tried to take pictures in the wild, only at feeders before. The superzoom was challenging and I found it frustrating. Hard to see and line up what I wanted to photograph, going into sleep mode when I really wanted it for a quick shot, zoom was noisy, and I was missing everything going on around me. That was probably the biggest. The ability to sweep and follow, quickly find the Crane or Hawk flying overhead, and a glance at the Moon or far away deer. I rarely use any type of camera and of course that would be a contributing factor to a lot of the problems I was having.

None of those comments are meant to say one is better than the other. I could see me setting a tripod up and watching a nest or a certain area where I have observed behavior, while checking things out with the binoculars.

For me it is more about that moment, yet there are many times I want to capture it to show others. I certainly realize the skill level now of those that get great looking pictures.

My earlier post about one person with a camera and one with binoculars is still my ideal after this trial.

Camera every time for me. I enjoyed photography before becoming interested in birds, my interest in birding was ignited when I was out taking photos and I happen to come within close range of a male Malachite Sunbird and managed to get some photos of it. From that point I found myself wanting to find birds to photograph, and from that point I became interested in other aspects of it, more interested in the birds habits, their migration and their rarity.

One can argue all they want, but nothing has helped me in bird identification like photographs have. I can study species in books all I want but when I take a photograph and then go through the matching process of the book to my image, it implants the image in me. I am now easily able to ID all the birds I have photographed before.

I rarely use my binocs, as carrying a Bigma and binocs ends up being a bit much.

My goal is to photograph every species I see, even if the shot isn't great, I love the idea of actually having proof of what I have encountered, but definitely aim for the best possible shot.

Bins first & foremost.

I think one does need to apply some effort into studying the birds, learning habitat, field marks, calls etc. I think this is more the hallmark of a birder than bins or a camera. You have to realize what you are seeing......

I don't think taking photos and then asking others to ID them qualifies anyone as a birder.

Have lost the bird fiddling with the camera, have regretted not having the camera, have taken the shot & glad I have proof. Have gotten a shot of a lifer and didn't know it. As a novice birder, saw a hawk, chose to enjoy the moment & chose not to take the shot. Regret it til this day since I now know it was a rarity for the area and without the photo, I have NO PROOF.

Both birders and photographers can be arrogant and poorly behaved. My experience leans towards photographers the most poorly behaved & arrogant at this point. That could change any time!!! Both can be extremely knowledgeable, fun, great teachers and great birders! Not every birder is a great photographer (I suck) and vice-versa. I know many awesome birders who are now great photographers.

Always have the bins and always have the camera - your shot may not be beautiful, but it can be proof!

Bins first & foremost.

I think one does need to apply some effort into studying the birds, learning habitat, field marks, calls etc. I think this is more the hallmark of a birder than bins or a camera. You have to realize what you are seeing......

I don't think taking photos and then asking others to ID them qualifies anyone as a birder.

Have lost the bird fiddling with the camera, have regretted not having the camera, have taken the shot & glad I have proof. Have gotten a shot of a lifer and didn't know it. As a novice birder, saw a hawk, chose to enjoy the moment & chose not to take the shot. Regret it til this day since I now know it was a rarity for the area and without the photo, I have NO PROOF.

Both birders and photographers can be arrogant and poorly behaved. My experience leans towards photographers the most poorly behaved & arrogant at this point. That could change any time!!! Both can be extremely knowledgeable, fun, great teachers and great birders! Not every birder is a great photographer (I suck) and vice-versa. I know many awesome birders who are now great photographers.

Always have the bins and always have the camera - your shot may not be beautiful, but it can be proof!

Photographers who like birds will prefer a camera; birders who like photography will prefer bins. Simples!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back