• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Benalmedena in June (1 Viewer)

Keith Dickinson

Opus Editor
I'll be in Benalmedena in about 4 weeks (10 -17 June) whilst not an out and out birding trip - I will have a car and time to get out for a few hours each day. Any tips on where to go that will give rewards without draining the patience of a non-birdwatching spouse.

The reserve at Guadalhorce is your nearest port of call. DO NOT under any circumstances leave your car nearby - mine was broken into and bag stolen a few years back and I'm not the only one. I'm off to Spain in the morning and will update you with more when I get there.

I'll be in Benalmedena in about 4 weeks (10 -17 June) whilst not an out and out birding trip - I will have a car and time to get out for a few hours each day. Any tips on where to go that will give rewards without draining the patience of a non-birdwatching spouse.

Hi Keith.

Despite you wanted to go on your own, have a look at my website to know about the best places to visit from Benalmadena.

www.birdaytrip.com

Have a nice time here!

Hi Keith

I was there a good few years ago now and at the time I was very limited on my birding options - a two year old son wasnt conducive to me nipping off regularly. However, I did go up the 'mountain' at the rear of the resort - theres a cable car that goes up, and I managed to see a fantastic bit of raptor migration with birds coming down, spiralling and moving off. It didn't last long - maybe an hour or so - but it was brilliant while it lasted. I can't put my hands on my notes to tell you what I saw unfortunately. From memory, Honey Buzzard was a major player. The ubiquitous Sardinian Warblers provided background amusement. Sorry I can't give you more info.

Hi Keith

I was there a good few years ago now and at the time I was very limited on my birding options - a two year old son wasnt conducive to me nipping off regularly. However, I did go up the 'mountain' at the rear of the resort - theres a cable car that goes up, and I managed to see a fantastic bit of raptor migration with birds coming down, spiralling and moving off. It didn't last long - maybe an hour or so - but it was brilliant while it lasted. I can't put my hands on my notes to tell you what I saw unfortunately. From memory, Honey Buzzard was a major player. The ubiquitous Sardinian Warblers provided background amusement. Sorry I can't give you more info.

I'm guessing you were there either in early May, or more likely late August/early September and happened to chance on a bit of honey buzzard movement. Honeys are exceptional for several reasons, including their intense arrival and departure seasons. The main reason is that unlike most other raptors that need to concentrate on the immediate vicinity of the Strait to take advantage of the short sea crossing, honeys couldn't really give a stuff. They like a short crossing, but they will also set out on a broad front and brave a long crossing. They have the strength to do it.

I was on the Strait until last weekend and after a good Honey movement on 6th/7th, they tapered off considerably. Other raptors, especially griffons were coming in, but all on a narrow front restricted to the area between Gibraltar and Tarifa.

By June as referred to in the initial query, I wouldn't expect to see any migration movement at Benalmadena, or even anywhere else. It's just too far from the Strait, and everything will be through in any case. Best bets are to look to the local small stuff, with forays to Guadalhorce and points north of Malaga, such as El Torcal de Antequera and Laguna de Fuente de Piedra and the surrounding area, but a car will be needed for these. Further east I've heard that there are white-rumped swifts at Almuñecar, but I don't have detail of their location there.

Montes de Malaga, inland from Velez-Malaga should be good for stuff such as Iberian grey shrike, Chough and other upland species.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you were there either in early May, or more likely late August/early September and happened to chance on a bit of honey buzzard movement. Honeys are exceptional for several reasons, including their intense arrival and departure seasons. The main reason is that unlike most other raptors that need to concentrate on the immediate vicinity of the Strait to take advantage of the short sea crossing, honeys couldn't really give a stuff. They like a short crossing, but they will also set out on a broad front and brave a long crossing. They have the strength to do it.

I was on the Strait until last weekend and after a good Honey movement on 6th/7th, they tapered off considerably. Other raptors, especially griffons were coming in, but all on a narrow front restricted to the area between Gibraltar and Tarifa.

By June as referred to in the initial query, I wouldn't expect to see any migration movement at Benalmadena, or even anywhere else. It's just too far from the Strait, and everything will be through in any case. Best bets are to look to the local small stuff, with forays to Guadalhorce and points north of Malaga, such as El Torcal de Antequera and Laguna de Fuente de Piedra and the surrounding area, but a car will be needed for these. Further east I've heard that there are white-rumped swifts at Almuñecar, but I don't have detail of their location there.

Montes de Malaga, inland from Velez-Malaga should be good for stuff such as Iberian grey shrike, Chough and other upland species.

Yeah, hurriedly worded reply to be honest. I was really trying to suggest the area for a bit of birding rather than a guaranteed raptor spot. I'm pretty sure I was there late may, and as you say, mid june is probably not the best time for Raptor Migration watching!

Ronda for sure

Hello, Keith.
Visit the Serranía de Ronda and even Grazalema, for these reasons:
  • Very close to Benalmádena
  • Amazing mountain scenery
  • Proximity of forest and paths with shadow
  • A great spot for raptors
These are our usual birding routes, that you can make on your own as well: http://www.wildandalucia.com/birdwatching/

Find attached my phone number in case you need friendly and professional advice.

Cheers

Attachments

• CARA.jpg
    CARA.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 77
A few Honey Buzzards in-off at Bolonia in a real howling gale yesterday. Haven't done La Janda yet.

Get out into the countryside after dark. I saw three Red-necked Nightjars last night. Amazing call!

Don't give up hope! I saw at least 30 Honey Buzzards coming in off the sea east of Sotogrande at 3p.m. today. The wind had an element of west in it meaning birds coming over towards Gib. We were only there for about half an hour.

Thanks for all the help guys. Now back home and anxious to visit the area again as I wrenched my knee last weekend at the airport and spent the whole week hobbling rather than striding around. This meant that a projected visit to Guadalahorce was shelved as I couldn't risk the knee going totally when out on the reserve.
We made a few bus trips and I did see a fair bit from those - the best trip being up to Granada and the Alhambra where I discovered that Spanish blackcaps have very different voices to the English birds.

Thanks for all the help guys. Now back home and anxious to visit the area again as I wrenched my knee last weekend at the airport and spent the whole week hobbling rather than striding around. This meant that a projected visit to Guadalahorce was shelved as I couldn't risk the knee going totally when out on the reserve.
We made a few bus trips and I did see a fair bit from those - the best trip being up to Granada and the Alhambra where I discovered that Spanish blackcaps have very different voices to the English birds.

Sorry to hear that Keith. However, the Alhambra is a true gem - we went by train from Jimena a few years ago, and saw lots of Iberian Magpies not far from Granada.

Sorry to hear that you were incapacitated. Do consider trying somewhere further west next time. One of the joys of birding Cadiz province is that, if you pick your location and the time of the visit with care, you can enjoy the spectacle of raptor migration from the terrace or poolside so wrenched knees need not stop play!

Thanks guys.

Sadly the timeshare is Benalmadena - there's nothing further West. We will return though and I'll give it a better shot next time - have an appointment with GP to see about putting the knee to rights.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back