• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (6 Viewers)

Hi DaveG466 and welcome to the forum. It will be borderline but the last date I saw one last year was March 27th but I believe it stayed for a while longer so you may just be lucky. I will try to find some other last dates and I will post.
Welcome also to Marina! We will be at La Gola soon I hope. You had some great birds there last year so good luck for the spring, a few surprises would be nice.
Mike

Nice photos Bob. I am still visiting Albufera regularly, but still haven't found Marbled (or Pintails) yet!

We saw a Pintail today, at Albufereta from one of the new watchtowers behind the small pine forest. My wife spotted it, I probably would have missed it.

Martin

Attachments

• IMG_9356.JPG
    IMG_9356.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 80
Thanks Mike, Ian & Clive. last few shots of Wood Sandpiper, Reed Bunting,Godwit and Swamphen.
Also attached pic of the Pine Caterpillar's from Formentor, there were 16 of them in the chain.
Clive I saw the Marbled Teal from Bishop 1 Hide on evening of 10th,a pair swam into view from the right just as I was about to leave so good luck more than anything.
The Pintails were seen from the same hide last Sunday evening, a friend of mine picked them out right over the back of the Marsh but too far out for even record shot.
Thanks all and hope to meet up again early May.

Bob

Attachments

• godwit2-bf.jpg
    godwit2-bf.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 57
  • pine-catts-bf.jpg
    pine-catts-bf.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 40
  • wood-sand-bf.jpg
    wood-sand-bf.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 86
  • reed-bunt-bf.jpg
    reed-bunt-bf.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 56
  • swampy-bf.jpg
    swampy-bf.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 45
Albufera yesterday - 2 Gargany, 2 Little Stint, 1 Redshank, a few Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, Green and Common Sandpipers, and 1 Wood Sandpiper I think (distant). 4 Black-tailed Godwit at Bishop 1, Water Pipit, lots of Snipe. The Godwits are normally on the far side of the water at Bishop 1 in my experience, but one came close enough to the hide for a decent photo. But I see Bob Freeman got some good shots too.

Attachments

• Black-tailed Godwit_3356.jpg
    Black-tailed Godwit_3356.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Black-tailed Godwit_3418.jpg
    Black-tailed Godwit_3418.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Redshank_3510.jpg
    Redshank_3510.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 64
  • Teal_3532.jpg
    Teal_3532.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 59
Egyptian grasshoppers are appearing again. I believe the photo is a newly emerged adult but I could well be wrong. I have been trying to find out whether they hibernate or migrate but am not getting very far. Any help would be appreciated.
No bird news yet today, a few Common swift arriving.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN6865.jpg
    DSCN6865.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 54
An incredible evening at the lighthouse, Porto Petro, where a staggering 1,018 mixed Shearwaters flew past in a single hour from 5.30pm. I was not able to keep count of the two species but I think the Balearic Shearwaters outnumbered the Scopoli's by about five to one. Mike

An incredible evening at the lighthouse, Porto Petro, where a staggering 1,018 mixed Shearwaters flew past in a single hour from 5.30pm. I was not able to keep count of the two species but I think the Balearic Shearwaters outnumbered the Scopoli's by about five to one. Mike

Sounds fantastic Mike.You lucky so and so. ;)

Thanks Ben Nevis. I feel lucky every day, especially as I got the "all clear" on my scan yesterday, the first time for two years. I can now get on with my life and concentrate on becoming a better birdwatcher! Mike

Thanks Ben Nevis. I feel lucky every day, especially as I got the "all clear" on my scan yesterday, the first time for two years. I can now get on with my life and concentrate on becoming a better birdwatcher! Mike

So you will not be a grumpy old man anymore??

Excellent news

Birds beware!

Excellent news on the health front, Mike. I had a prostate cancer scare nine years ago, but I am still around thanks to my GP sending me for tests so that it was diagnosed and treated early. I should be arriving at the Pollensa Park hotel for another fortnight on April 1st, and I will endeavour to keep everyone up to date on sightings, particularly if the Scops Owls are back in the usual place. I am another who is wishing that the Alpine Accentors hang around a bit later than they have in previous years. Hugh M Northampton

Mike, I will always be a grumpy old man.
Hugh, good to know you are coming again, good luck, I hope you see lots of great things. Thanks also for sharing about your good news.
Migration is well under way with some Wheatears, Alpine Swift and about 50 raptors past the tower this morning, mostly Marsh Harrier. I hope someone who was there will post.
I am going tomorrow so will list all sightings here. Mike

Salobrar de Campos on 16th held the biggest flock of Garganey I have ever seen (at least 80 birds)! Also present was the hybrid Reef heron x Little Egret (though I see that a bird which looks much closer to a pure example has recently been seen near Palma), five Temminck's Stints, 15 Ruff, 92 Avocets and various other typical waterbird fare. Additionally there were plenty of Iberiae Yellow Wags plus a bird which looked rather good for cinerocapilla, though I resisted calling it with certainty due to the faint hint of white behind the eye and the fact that it appeared to be holding territory... Later that evening revealed the Pallid Harrier within the harrier roost, along with over 20 March and two Hen Harriers. Of interest, I have sought some further opinion on this bird due to it showing a moderately prominent 5th primary in some of my images, leading to some concern that it may be a Pallid x Hen hybrid. However, the expert consensus is that the bird is a pure Pallid Harrier, and not a hybrid with Hen.

Lots of Green Hairstreak butterflies flying at Porto Colom yesterday.

Attachments

• 1C0A5578_crop.jpg
    1C0A5578_crop.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 64
  • 1C0A5537_crop.jpg
    1C0A5537_crop.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 1C0A5509_crop.jpg
    1C0A5509_crop.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 78
Thank you Jason for the valuable information on the Pallid Harrier, there was some talk of it being a hybrid so I'm glad that it has been confirmed.
I have been to Salobrar most days recently and have seen pretty much the same as you, less Garganey but more Avocet, the populations seem to change on a daily basis although it's quite a large area so I guess they disperse all around the marsh. Lots of Ruff and Dunlin recently and hopefully some Curlew sandpipers soon. It's a very good site for Collared pratincoles and terns. On the right day it can be outstanding. I had one such magic day last year which I will not forget. Mike

Last edited:
Just a note on the seawatching here. The east coast is excellent at the moment. Having done a bit of seawatching in Cornwall, I have found that a different approach works well. I just focus the telescope on the best bit of water and watch the Shearwaters flying by. It's easier to count and saves scanning all round which is hard work. It is also the best way of catching the elusive Storm petrel. You can just see them whizzing through the scope so they can be scanned thereafter. I have never found one by looking all over the place but have seen quite a few this way. I know everyone has their favoured technique but I thought it may be worth mentioning. Good luck to anyone who goes, Porto Colom and Punta de n'Amer are some of the best places and late evening is the most productive time, 5pm onwards. Mike

A very good morning at the tower, Albercutx with eleven birders enjoying the first Black Kite of the year, two Sparrowhawks, two Alpine swift, 14 Marsh Harrier and close views of a Black vultures.
Also two Alpine Accentors were seen first thing, one at the tower and one at the Mirador below. Not seen later though.
Eleven dolphins created a wonderful diversion breaching the sea below the tower, always terrific to see.
Also the first Redstart reported (Steve) so migration is now under way. Lots more good days ahead at the tower. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back