• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (26 Viewers)

I was disturbed to see some people well on their way to East Hills today, with the tide almost as high as it could be. They disappeared over the ridge, having taken the ‘shorter way’- and I didn’t see them again. I was half expecting to see a yellow helicopter......
Maybe (hopefully) they had a boat ride back to Wells with someone:eek!:

Very sad indeed!

I suppose you have to put it down to Human nature and those who must see/photograph the bird at any cost, to the peril of the bird or other observers, they simply do not care about anyone else and certainly not the birds!!! It's very sad.

Bilvo, we are in agreement there. I reluctantly refer you to my signature line...

Found all the details out from some VERY helpful children and a lady in the street who has awesome pictures on her phone! It roosts in an amazingly massive Copper Beech Tree (purple leaves) which is next to a Wall in Thomas Street. See street map HERE
Don't even think of driving your car down Thomas Street - I did and I won't be again and also not fair to the residents. It is a a very short, incredibly narrow street. Park in Guanock Terrace just around the corner. Apparently its been in the local papers, RSPCA have been out and quote from the lady 'not much help'. Baytree Garden Centre have been out and nobody can catch it. Its driving the local dogs crazy apparently.

I might email the Hawk & Owl Trust, as its not in an ideal situation at all, for it to be in. Very built up area and also very small children running around!!!!! Plus its only going to end up getting shot the second its caught someone's precious dog or cat!

I didn't see it whilst I was there and now going back with my camera.

Penny:girl:

UPDATE - Saw the Eagle Owl sitting on a roof and photographed it - fabulous bird! Full update on my blog shortly and pictures to follow. Please note I have just amended the street to 'Thomas Street'. Also its been there at least 6 weeks!!! DO NOT PARK IN THIS STREET PLEASE!

Fabulous photo of a great bird - anyone worked out if it is the Hunstanton one?

Titchwell May 29th

Today’s highlights

Temmincks stint – 1 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 1 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 6 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 on saltmarsh, 2 over west
Garganey – pair on Patsy’s reedbed
Yellow legged gull – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Birding Boudica's Way Parts Four and Five. Shotesham - Norwich Railway Station

I undertook parts four and five of this walk on Sunday 26th and Monday 27th and have decided to combine them into one post as to be honest it became increasingly difficult to come up with anything new in the way of sightings.
Ultimately, one of the problems of the second half of the walk was that it almost completely avoided the immediate and generally interesting Tas Valley and weaved its way through extensive farmland. There was a lot of hard road walking towards the end which I found quite wearing at times and I was seeing or hearing much the same species.
It was however interesting to see how the landscape changed during the course of the 30 odd miles from a rather flat scrubby landscape with lots of rough hedgerows between Diss and Tasburgh to a more maintained rolling arable landscape interspersed with many small woodlands from Shotesham onwards.
This probably accounted for the increase in Green Woodpecker numbers to at least half a dozen and the drop in Lesser Whitethroats to just two after passing through Shotesham. Another Lapwing was found and I'm very pleased to find a species which is having a hard time at the moment holding several territories in my vicinity.
I finished the fourth day at Caistor St Edmund Roman Town. The birds had pretty much dried up but the good weather supplied plenty of insects including Holly Blue, Large Red and Azure Damselfly. There was a good gathering of around 250 Swifts over the Roman town mid-afternoon.

I wimped out and left the scope in the car for the last leg of the journey to Thorpe Railway Station but insects became the main theme anyway so this turned out to be a good decision. Insect of the day was a Bee Fly. I've seen several of these this year and don't know if they've had a good year or whether I'm simply more aware of them than I used to be. I love the way they behave - probing small flowers for nectar or pollen, hovering at each one just like a miniature Hummingbird Hawk Moth and they are now one of my favourite insects.
I tried really hard to add new birds to the list but just couldn't find anything new. Inevitably I succumbed to weariness and began having delusions about getting just one big one to finish - Bee-eater over or Woodchat Shrike perched on top of a hedgerow - some chance!!!
However I reached Norwich and did add one more species when I noted a Grey Wagtail singing atop a warehouse roof so some consolation and shortly after I was at the station and end of my venture.

Overall to sum up, I am glad I did this but was relieved when I got to the end. I had some nice sightings along the way although most of them came during the first half when the weather was more changeable. I discovered some really nice areas nearby for future birding although from now on I will visit them as little bite-size pre-breakfast or late afternoon jaunts.
I was disappointed and saddened to have walked 30 miles through South Norfolk and not seen or heard a single Turtle Dove, Cuckoo or Spotted Flycatcher among other things which from this experience alone is proof that these species are in serious decline in the area. I'm not saying they weren't there at all but if they were common or at least holding on, I would expected to have come across maybe two or three of each along the way. Not the time for an environmental rant but we really need to change our ways if we are going to bring these species back if its not already too late.

So its back to the usual birding scene now and I must say a nice male Red-backed Shrike sounds tempting for an opener so I hope there's one around somewhere at the weekend still. You'll know me if you see me coz I'll be wearing my "I've birded Boudica's Way T-shirt"!

New species - Grey Heron, Grey Wagtail.

Other new wildlife - Holly Blue, Small Tortoiseshell, Longhorn Moth, Azure Damselfly, Large Red Damselfly, Bee Fly.

Last edited:
Below is a characteristic view of today’s lovely male Red-backed Shrike at Walsey.

I was glad to see, when I arrived, that watchers had heeded the request not to enter the crop field. This year, the crops were sown- and are growing- all the way to the field's edge, hard by the willows.

Attachments

• 009pse.jpg
    009pse.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 209
Gun Hill and Burnham Overy Dunes

I worked hard to find something at Gun Hill this evening and I couldn't believe I was the only one out there!!! I found 2 Spotted Flycatchers, a poss. nightingale sp. and a Spoonbill. Being greedy, I was hoping for more though. Great to see two Spot Flys though!:t:

Full update on blog.

Last edited:
Get out there !!!! Just found 2 spot flys before I have really got going this evening!!!!

Icterine W and RBS'S at BP this evening so far.....

14 hours flogging the "wrong" side of the wash today, with little to show for it. Ringers caught a Greenish warbler this morning, but we didn't see it. Seems like Norfolk is finally beginning to hit its stride this spring!

Good luck to all and happy birding!

Morning and early afternoon spent at Holme. Small arrival on land with 2 Spotted Flycatchers and an Arctic Skua offshore. Sacked it off mid-afternoon to join the warden on an errand to Walsey Hills where we enjoyed the male Red-backed Shrike.

What with the 2 Red-backed Shrikes, 2 Wrynecks and Icterine Warbler (well done Martin) at least on the Point this evening maybe I should have persevered. Wonder what tomorrow will bring...

On a similar note I was very disturbed to hear about birders ignoring signs put up asking them to view a certain bird from that positon. Not only was walking into said area enough but driving down into this area.
Sadly the viewer of this incident didn't take a number plate reading....
Doesn't matter what species it is, someone will always try and push it.

How many birders when asked if they would like info about an unamed rare breeder would say "Oh no, please don't tell me"? I guess there are a few out there, but they are probably rarer than the rare breeders themselves. Continuing with the conceit of not naming the species in question, despite (I thought) being a well-informed local birder, I didn't learn about them until Saturday. When I spent an hour and a half at the site at least three parties of birders from outside the county passed through, and I'd put money on local guides already taking paying customers to the site. The resident official guardian named a well-known local celebrity photographer as having ignored the posted request to stay at a distance and got way too close for the birds' welfare. So, it's all very well to bemoan the leaking of information, but once it's out there it's probably best to provide clear directions so that the situation can be managed and over-enthusiastic behaviour policed, rather than risk poorly informed searchers causing unintended harm. Just saying...

I might email the Hawk & Owl Trust, as its not in an ideal situation at all, for it to be in. Very built up area and also very small children running around!!!!! Plus its only going to end up getting shot the second its caught someone's precious dog or cat!

I didn't see it whilst I was there and now going back with my camera.

Hi Penny, not sure if you have contact details but if you need to email then this is good contact who will pass details on to relevant people if you wish:
[email protected]

Thanks for the clarification John. Your response read like a Eton entrance exam question;) Shirley us with Poly degrees need to go back to school;)

Keep it up guys, nothing like a bit of Norfolk Argy Bargy! :king:

Highly amused from afar :clap:

apologies in advance, my future posts will probably contribute very little to Norfolk birding:flyaway:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back