• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

beginner needs info (1 Viewer)

ralcan

Hi,
I've always wanted to try photography. Now that I can't work I have time to try, just on a very limited budget. I bought a bridge camera for 140 bucks. It's a GE X500, 16 MB with 15 times optical zoom . I am learning how to use it but that will take awhile.I like this little camera but I want to be able to take nature pics at greater distances and also take pics of the moon and planets. After looking at many sites about digiscoping I am thinking that maybe buying a spotting scope and an adapter would be the answer. My biggest problem is trying to figure out which scope and which adapter would suit my camera. I have looked at many and read many reviews and opinions but it is very confusing. Can someone tell me which scope I could get with at least an 80 mm lens an a reasonable magnification that would work with my camera and which adapter would fit both? Of course I would have to keep the price way down. Maybe around $150? Or even a way to make an adapter- a step by step way as I an a complete beginner to any of this. Someone with an X500 experience would be perfect but all info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi ralcan and welcome.

Cameras with long zooms don't tend to work very well for digiscoping. 3X zooms are generally the ones that work the best.

A $150 scope will produce quite poor results that you wouldn't be happy with. You would need to spend 5 to 10 times that amount on a scope with good enough glass for digiscoping. Digiscoping requires good quality equipment all the way through I'm afraid. If you try and do it cheaply then you would likely give up after the first attempt.

Sorry I can't give you better news but it's best to be direct rather than you waste a load of money.

Paul.

Agree with above, I use good kit (swaro sts80HD scope and Lumix G1 camera) and I get a few good shots but heaps and heaps that go straight to delete!

Go for a second hand DSLR and lense. Good luck.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back