• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

phone vs camera (1 Viewer)

mr h

I have a swaro 80 hd 25/50 w i have been using my mobile phone its a nokia n8 just holding the phone to the eye piece the pictures are pretty good pity i can't up load them (it say file to large),g reat for record keeping but when you want a quick shot its a bit of a fidle ,i'm thinking of saving to get camera and adaptor the swing style(a bit of a price ),what compact camera would be good as a starter how much better would the pictures be my phone is 12mp and 4x ,many thanks

I use a Nikon P6000 with the Swarovski 25-50x.

These are out of production now, but can be bought in good condition for about £150 on ebay. The image quality is excellent, but the frame rate and ISO performance are only so so.

Other cameras recommended on the forum include Canon S90 or S95 and Nikon P300.

The Nikon V1 and 10-30mm lens is the latest thing, but is expensive and probably not a good beginner's camera.

The swing style adaptor will give you lots of options, since the camera will not need a filter thread. Most modern cameras don't have these any more.

With a good camera and adaptor, your pics should be much better than hand-holding a phone to the eyepiece.

Last edited:
tested a V1 for a mate who was buying it for his daughter. nice wee camera.

as for the file to large, i get that with my images taken with my Canon 450D (also out of production) i just use my photo editing software to shrink the images until they are the correct size (i think its 325KB, my full size images are about 4MB i think)

i cant say much else about what you should use because i dont digiscope, but i know the V1 is good but expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back