• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

They're coming (at last) (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

Don't know what it's like in other parts of the Country this a.m. but here it's frosty and foggy (down to 50m in places when I went to the shops).

Up to now have not had our usual Winter influx of Pied Wagtails, just one Male and a couple of Females, plus odd visits from a first-Winter (total 4). Now this compares with 20+ by this time in the last 2 Winters, and 14 in the Winter before that (prior to that, just the odd one, we were suddenly 'colonised'). The Male ('Stroppy') has dropped anchor and tries to shoo off the others, without much success I may say, so this morning when we suddenly had 8 of them, he was in danger of developing the 'Blackbird Syndrome' of spending more time chasing than eating. Fortunately for him the 8 were a quick visit and now we've settled down to 3 again but.......

I shall be watching events with even keener interest over the next few days, especially if the frosts continue.

This is 'Stroppy'

Bill

Attachments

• DS pied wagtail frosty garden 2011 2.jpg
    DS pied wagtail frosty garden 2011 2.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 33
Mornin' Bill,
Beautiful day here and have just seen a butterfly!!!! Too far away to ID but obviously been woken from it's sleep by this warm weather!
Quite a lot of Pieds here more than usual too i would say so far! And finding plenty of insects this morning!!
Where do they go and come back from do you know??
Best wishes,

Hello to you both,

We've not seen any pieds this year at all but that's probably cos of all the building work that's been going on. It's now finished HOORAY!!!!!

Hopefully that means we'll see them too when they arrive.

Saw the first Grey Heron of the year this morning, so it looks like things on the wildlife front are gradually getting back to normal at last!

Cheers,

BTW Bill, the pic is lovely, he's got a right cheeky look about him! :t:

Stroppy is a handsome fellow! We awoke to 5 inches of new snow and it continues to snow at a good rate! HOORAY for SNOW!!!!

Many sparrows outside filling their bellies with food now.

C3D

bill moss said:
Hi folks,

Don't know what it's like in other parts of the Country this a.m. but here it's frosty and foggy (down to 50m in places when I went to the shops).
Bill

Hi dear Bill,

Your weather matched ours, in fact we had the same all day here even though a friend 3 miles away has a BEAUTIFULLY sunny day! Still, we're in a valley and it stayed put.

A lovely photo of Stroppy, looks as though he matches his name! We've had a few Wags around here but nothing much just letting you know they're about when in flight and a coule on the roof. The main thing we have most of here though is, Blackbirds - and loads of them! They've even almost cleared the Crab Apple tree of it's fruit so the Blackcaps will be stamping their feet in fury after Christmas, which is their main time to visit.

Keep stroppy Bill !! :t:

Love, Sue

How come you people get all the beauts?
All right, we have some pretty nice ones over this way too, I guess.
Love the wagtails. Someday, I hope to see at least two different kinds.

Best
Elizabeth

The last couple of days have been very cold and frosty here, down to -5C the day before yesterday and a wonderful white frost. I've been away for a while visiting Marks & Spencer etc. and getting the Christmas goodies which are not available here!Came back to find the first Marsh Tits hanging from the remains of a fat ball and promptly topped up their supplies. The Blue Tits seem to have accepted me as one of them as they dash down and take peanuts before I've moved my hand away!!! The Yaffles are busy feeding and the winter Thrushes and Lapwings look as if they are here for the duration. Currently there's a Tawny making a great deal of noise outside so all's well with the world!

Hello Pam,

It sounds just lovely especially with the Marsh Tits there with you too, we've had them with us twice, but that's all, that we know of anyway. If I don't get chance to speak to you again before Christmas Pam, then do have

A Very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy New Birding Year!

Love, Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back