• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disappointed in Leupold's service dept. (1 Viewer)

I recently had a similar experience in that I returned a Golden Ring HD, was informed they could not be fixed and offered the new McKinley as a replacement. Granted my sample size of experience with the two models is n=1 of each, to my eyes the McKinley's are clearly superior. I like sharp edges, and they are indeed sharp to the very edge of the FOV and comparable to my Nikon SEs in that regard. The GRs were not. Other than that I'd say, for the two Leupold specimens I have owned, it's a toss up.

Belated update here...I opted to have them send the GRs back to me. To their credit, they're doing so at no cost. So, on that end of it at least, I'm satisfied with their service.

Belated update here...I opted to have them send the GRs back to me. To their credit, they're doing so at no cost. So, on that end of it at least, I'm satisfied with their service.

It often takes considerably less talent to package something and put it in the mail, than it does to perform a meaningful repair--especially if that repair taxes a person's experiences. :cat:

Bill

There are a couple of things in play here I think. Bill touched on one of them. Like many businesses these days, qualified people are hard to find. Sadly sometimes it comes down to the mood and competence of the person on the phone sometimes.

The second thing is that the Gold Ring appeared some ten years ago, so what the major parts availability, especially for major things like objective lenses, may be getting to the point where that becomes problematic.

I have decades of experience with Leupold. I have not used the warranty or repair services a lot, but I don't think they take customer service lightly. They have always been stellar performers for me. In my experience, if they had the objective lenses, you would have received them in a repaired binocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back