• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED2 7x36 impressions. (1 Viewer)

Cluster

Whilst others have posted much more detailed reviews of the ED2 7x36, I thought that I might add some comments, along the lines of my impressions of this binocular and how it fits in with my existing “collection”.
In “Test mode” all that has been written seems to be the same for my example. I see a good sweet spot of around two thirds of the field, then definition dropping of fairly quickly to the edge. Very good sharpness, brightness and contrast, a little more CA for me than has been described by most, although it is up there with the best I've seen. The CA I see is limited to a discolouration of the shadows in a contrasty scene (I may never see my favourite Neon-banded Gulls with this bin). I found that the focus is smooth and nicely damped. The focus point is reached in a progressive and predictable manner and remains within a significant movement of the focus knob. Not at all like some of the peaky and fussy focus mechanics I've had in many past binoculars. Really very good, just a little let down by a few mm play in the mechanism.
Comparing A to B with some of my collection provided some surprises. In so far as I can compare an 8x porro with a 7x roof, the ED2 7x36 (to my eyes) gives a similar view to my EII 8x30. It has a sweet-spot only slightly smaller than my EII, although the EII has a greater AFOV and so the onset of edge softness appears further out. The level of softness at the edge and the transition from the sweet spot to the edge is very similar. The ED2 is brighter and more contrasty than the EII and more so compared to the excellent Leica 7x42BN whilst offering a similar easy, comfortable view. Colours seem to pop with the ED2.
I had regarded the sharpness/contrast/brightness of my HRWP8x42 as being a benchmark, bettered only by some very expensive roofs. The ED2 at least matches and may just better it in this respect.
In the field the ED2 view is outrageously detailed. It's not too heavy and feels robust. For me, it brings the easy view of the 7x42BN together with the immersive experience of the EII. It won't provide the kind of 3D imagery of the porros but is now easily my binocular of choice for most uses. Far from being a cold weather alternative, it may just be good enough to replace the bins that were previously my first choice.

I'm aware of the edge distortion when I look for it and have not yet experienced any glare issues. I will wait and see if these and any other feature of this binocular becomes a problem for me over the next few months.

BTW, my original purchase (from Lanius Books for European buyers) had a problem. This was rectified as quickly as was possible by Zen Ray and Lanius Books. I appreciate the service that they gave me.

Last edited:
...Far from being a cold weather alternative, it may just be good enough to replace the bins that were previously my first choice...

Early production had very stiff focus after spending time in my freezer. Some reports maintain that this has been corrected. Can you confirm?

--AP

Early production had very stiff focus after spending time in my freezer. Some reports maintain that this has been corrected. Can you confirm?

--AP

Not yet, I haven't taken it out in very cold weather yet. It may not get really cold here in the UK for a while. It's not been in the freezer, that's a bit extreme for replicating possible conditions here.

Dave

Cluster,

Thanks for sharing your impression of Zen Ray 7x36. I have read a lot of this brand that it has an amazing optical performance for the price. And 9,1deg field of view makes this model very attractive.

Because I wear eyeglasses eye relief is one of the most important factors when I choose binoculars.
Please will you measure for me: what is the diameter of the ocular lenses?
And how much is the lens recessed from the eyecup edge fully downfolded?

Regards, Patric

Last edited:
Hi Patric,
The lens (exposed glass) diameter is a little over 23mm, the inner diameter of the eye-cup is a little over 29mm. When down (retracted) the lens is 5mm below the cup lip and 12mm when extended fully.

Last edited:
Thanks Cluster for your help! :t:

The reason I asked is that these factors usually are more important than the stated mm of eye relief. The lens size tells a lot and how much it's recessed tells how much of the eye relief is useful. 23+ mm is great, it's a large lens. But the recessment seems to be deeper than for example my Swarovski SLC 7x42 and Conquest HD 8x42. So it's a risk that I will not find the useful ER of these binoculars to be adequate, especially considering it's a wider apparant field of view.
But the price is tempting...

Patric

Last edited:
hi Patric. I'm not sure how helpful this information might be for you, but the original version of the 7x36 had a stated 16.8mm of eye relief, but I found it difficult to get the full view while wearing my eyeglasses. The current version's eye relief is also stated at 16.8mm, but it has been said that the eyecups were modified to provide more effective eye relief. Maybe eyeglass users who have used the current model can offer some advice?

I wanted to add that, although the ED2 gives a bright and contrasty (& possibly consequently apparently sharper) view than my EII and is close to my HRWP8x42, both of these do resolve better detail when the view is studied carefully, as you might expect for an 8x compared to a 7x. This difference is quite fine though, and although the overall package of the ED2 7x36 gives a wonderful viewing experience, the EII 8x30 won't suffer from under-use just yet.

I also would like to share my enthusiasm for the ED2 7x36. I've been using the new version for a few days and oh my, its a sheer pleasure to use, even with the fuzzy edges and occasional glare which would usually annoy me. Its much sharper and brighter too than I remember from the old version I owned years ago, I can see now that one must have been a dud in the sharpness department as this one is phenomenal.
Out today with my 10x and these 7's has convinced me that 7 is the perfect magnification handheld, at no point did the 10 have any advantage even when supported on a gate etc. My eyes feel rested, relaxed and restored after using these.
7x36 must be the perfect configuration surely? Such a shame there are so very few 7 x available.

Last edited:
After trying the stream of binoculars that I have bought and then sold, my wife has independently settled on the Bushnell EX 7x36 as her preferred bin. She is not at all technically up to speed on the specs of my binoculars, but just likes the easy view and particularly the better DOF of these. If she gets to try my ED2 7x36 (and can put up with the extra weight of this larger binocular), I may have to buy another ED2.

Whilst others have posted much more detailed reviews of the ED2 7x36, I thought that I might add some comments, along the lines of my impressions of this binocular and how it fits in with my existing “collection”.
In “Test mode” all that has been written seems to be the same for my example. I see a good sweet spot of around two thirds of the field, then definition dropping of fairly quickly to the edge. Very good sharpness, brightness and contrast, a little more CA for me than has been described by most, although it is up there with the best I've seen. The CA I see is limited to a discolouration of the shadows in a contrasty scene (I may never see my favourite Neon-banded Gulls with this bin). I found that the focus is smooth and nicely damped. The focus point is reached in a progressive and predictable manner and remains within a significant movement of the focus knob. Not at all like some of the peaky and fussy focus mechanics I've had in many past binoculars. Really very good, just a little let down by a few mm play in the mechanism.
Comparing A to B with some of my collection provided some surprises. In so far as I can compare an 8x porro with a 7x roof, the ED2 7x36 (to my eyes) gives a similar view to my EII 8x30. It has a sweet-spot only slightly smaller than my EII, although the EII has a greater AFOV and so the onset of edge softness appears further out. The level of softness at the edge and the transition from the sweet spot to the edge is very similar. The ED2 is brighter and more contrasty than the EII and more so compared to the excellent Leica 7x42BN whilst offering a similar easy, comfortable view. Colours seem to pop with the ED2.
I had regarded the sharpness/contrast/brightness of my HRWP8x42 as being a benchmark, bettered only by some very expensive roofs. The ED2 at least matches and may just better it in this respect.
In the field the ED2 view is outrageously detailed. It's not too heavy and feels robust. For me, it brings the easy view of the 7x42BN together with the immersive experience of the EII. It won't provide the kind of 3D imagery of the porros but is now easily my binocular of choice for most uses. Far from being a cold weather alternative, it may just be good enough to replace the bins that were previously my first choice.

I'm aware of the edge distortion when I look for it and have not yet experienced any glare issues. I will wait and see if these and any other feature of this binocular becomes a problem for me over the next few months.

BTW, my original purchase (from Lanius Books for European buyers) had a problem. This was rectified as quickly as was possible by Zen Ray and Lanius Books. I appreciate the service that they gave me.

Thanks for that mini-review of the new and apparently improved ZR 7x36 ED2. The earlier versions had QC/design issues: really awful veiling glare; stiff and uneven focusers; and sweet spots that varied in size from EP to EP. I also had a drifting diopter on one sample, which eventually made it impossible to focus both barrels together, but I haven't heard anyone else complain about that issue so it was probably a lemon.

The sweet spot in both samples' right EP was about 70% and the fall off was gradual enough after that it wasn't distracting. The sweet spot in the left EPs on both samples fell off at 55% and went really sour after that. Most of the field curvature could be refocused but that 55% sweet spot was too small especially considering the wide FOV.

The image was very sharp and bright, and the centerfield had no CA I could detect. Only the Swaro 10x42 SLC-HD, which costs $1,300 more, rivaled it in that respect, but it's easier to control CA @ 7x. The 9* FOV was immersive like my 8x EII. There was still more veiling glare than I'd like after the fix, but that could be countered to a degree by repositioning my eyes.

The open bridge ergos worked well for me, same as the Hawke 8x36 Frontier. The hard plastic eyecups were okay, but not the most comfortable since I had to press hard to see the entire FOV, and one eyecups was "floppy" on my first sample.

The thing that bothered me the most was the excessive pincushion distortion that started not far off axis. By the edge, it was Cupid's Bow bent to the maximum. The gobs of pincushion caused a weird sensation of movement while panning and particularly while tilting up and down with the bin. The flat road ahead of me looked like a sink hole.

Everybody's eyes are different in terms of the amount of distortion you bring to the "picture" so asking you if you see this wouldn't be of much help, I'd have to try one myself. I could probably have learned to live with the excessive pincushion if the sweet spot had been 70% on both sides with gradual fall off and there was better QC, because for the price, the 7x36 ED2 is a good bang for the buck, something you usually only hear said about Porros.

Brock

Old vs new version of this bino, is this determinable via the serial-no?

Hello Oetzi,

The first two version of this glass had a lock for the diopter ring. The original also had a problem with internal reflections. The current version has no lock.

I still have an ED2 early model, but I found the edges to be too fuzzy, but the colour rendition was very good.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Last edited:
I've had the new one with no diopter lock for a few months now and it really is a keeper, which is quite rare for me, usually after a few weeks of using a bin next to my SE its flaws will start to bug me. Not so with these.
Sweet spot is wider than I remember from the old version and they seem a little brighter too. They are most definitely sharper than my old ones, but that's maybe sample variation. In fact a few years ago when I owned the older version and some Opticron HRWP 8x42s the ED2s would always pale in comparison, these would absolutely spank the recent HRWPs I briefly owned in terms of sharpness, a case of sample variation in extremis I'm convinced of it.
So, get a good sample and the ED2s are a stunning pair of bins, yes there is a little glare sometimes and the edges are a little fuzzy, though mine have a very large sweet spot with gradual fall off ( better than my old 7x42 FLs) but overall they are almost perfect for my needs and Im a bit fussy, my FLs and Swaro SLC HDs ( though Im convinced were not great samples ) made me quite grumpy whereas Im happy as Larry with these :)

I've had the new one with no diopter lock for a few months now and it really is a keeper, which is quite rare for me, usually after a few weeks of using a bin next to my SE its flaws will start to bug me. Not so with these.
Sweet spot is wider than I remember from the old version and they seem a little brighter too. They are most definitely sharper than my old ones, but that's maybe sample variation. In fact a few years ago when I owned the older version and some Opticron HRWP 8x42s the ED2s would always pale in comparison, these would absolutely spank the recent HRWPs I briefly owned in terms of sharpness, a case of sample variation in extremis I'm convinced of it.
So, get a good sample and the ED2s are a stunning pair of bins, yes there is a little glare sometimes and the edges are a little fuzzy, though mine have a very large sweet spot with gradual fall off ( better than my old 7x42 FLs) but overall they are almost perfect for my needs and Im a bit fussy, my FLs and Swaro SLC HDs ( though Im convinced were not great samples ) made me quite grumpy whereas Im happy as Larry with these :)

Thanks a lot for the feedback on the 7x36 ED2. Yes, the 7x is always a pleasure to use, especially in the woods.

Charles

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back