• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (39 Viewers)

The 2 Large, White, Snake-necked Ones seemed almost to be hopping west, along the saltmarsh at Stiffkey today. It was not too difficult to visualise them (pace Mark), as their necks were twice as long as those of their Little confrères.

At one stage, fanning occurred- quite impressive.

Yesterday, 2 (again) Hobbies hunted over Salthouse and there was a solitary Swift over the erstwhile Coastguards at Cley.

I am afraid I’m not that highly evolved and am constantly seduced by these maras.

Poor photo from some distance, with East Hills as backdrop. What surprised several of us was how few people had bothered to turn out; it's not as though the coast was dripping with migrants.

Was all ready to pop along and see these beauties but Dad decided working on his 1958 Land Rover was more important! Can't win them all!

The complete lack of small birds at Strumpshaw yesterday was more than made up for by spectacular views of a family of three Hobbies feeding. We watched for half-an-hour as they performed their aerial antics - plummeting down in a stoop and pulling out at the last moment to skim across the meadow to catch dragonflies. They would then climb again and call loudly to bring in the juvenile[?] for a food pass. My most thrilling birding experience so far. I am still buzzing!

Ron

awesome photos, got some great memories of hobbies at Strumpy also

Still hard to find much on the deck today with 3 Yellow Wags, Peregrine and a Tree Sparrow (the latter 2 which I missed!) being noteworthy within the parish. I added a new species to my Happisburgh list in the form of a Curlew Sandpiper which flew in off with 2 Barwits and 7 Curlews mid-morning. The flock wheeled round appearing to want to land on a stubble but the CS was having none of it and promptly flew back out to sea and eastwards.

This afternoon, pre- weather front and rain, Hirundines were observed heading south at Smallburgh in small, occasional parties with a couple of Swifts tagging along for good measure. Don't suppose I'll be seeing too many more of the latter this year...

James

Nick,
Until I read back on the posts, I was quite worried about you having a PMA (Pre-Menstrual A = attitude?) or whatever! However, because I've been out birding with you a few times and have seen you find and identify birds (about 50 to my one), I guess I have to tell everybody that, yes, you are that good!
MJB

Thanks Mike - apparently its all about visualisation (and/or a Positive Mental Attitude!) ;)

My point was that my 65:1 ratio of Thetford Nunnery Lakes : Scolt Head/East Hills visits in the last 2 years has resulted in a 1:2 ratio of half-decent birds... ie hit rate is at least partly down to location, location, location. Not that that's news to anyone; just thought the stats were striking.

Last edited:
My point was that my 65:1 ratio of Thetford Nunnery Lakes : Scolt Head/East Hills visits in the last 2 years has resulted in a 1:2 ratio of half-decent birds... ie hit rate is at least partly down to location, location, location. Not that that's news to anyone; just thought the stats were striking.

Not too different from DIM Wallace's patchwork, really.
MJB

I do not know about visualization , but any bird watcher worth his salt will know what the comming weather might bring and work out for himself where its likely to find the birds rather than blindly following the sheep to where ever the pager points them. So what if you miss some rareity , there is alway another year to try and find it.

What joy and satisifaction there is in looking at a bird that someone else has reported is a mystery to me. Its rather like someone putting a big fish on your hook and then telling you , you have a bite. Go out find your own birds , keep quiet about them and know the wildlife of the area will be undisturbed by the birding hoards.

I do not know about visualization , but any bird watcher worth his salt will know what the comming weather might bring and work out for himself where its likely to find the birds rather than blindly following the sheep to where ever the pager points them. So what if you miss some rareity , there is alway another year to try and find it.

What joy and satisifaction there is in looking at a bird that someone else has reported is a mystery to me. Its rather like someone putting a big fish on your hook and then telling you , you have a bite. Go out find your own birds , keep quiet about them and know the wildlife of the area will be undisturbed by the birding hoards.

Agreed! While I do follow the pager quite a bit I try to get out as much as I can!
Example: Tit flock in my village today (mostly Long-Tailed) bought up a surprising warbler sp. Too flighty to identify, very faint super, slight pattern on the back and a brown general colouring. Probably won't ever know what it was educated guess says Garden Warbler or Juvenile Booted if I'm feeling brave/daring (Sarcasm) but you never know.....
Wouldn't have seen it at all had I sat on my PC waiting for a pink footed elephant headed snake bird to appear on the point!

Brown warbler. A new species for Norfolk!! A week of strong west winds. Not a great week for finding a barred warbler even if armed with either pma or a copy of stringing magazine!!

Brown warbler. A new species for Norfolk!! A week of strong west winds. Not a great week for finding a barred warbler even if armed with either pma or a copy of stringing magazine!!

or maybe it was Yellow....one of them in Iceland 2 days ago....stranger things have happened B :)

Titchwell September 5th

Today’s highlights

Curlew sandpiper – 4 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 4 on fresh marsh
Ruff – 35 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 over fresh marsh
Osprey – 1 over beach @ 15:50

Paul

I added a new species to my Happisburgh list in the form of a Curlew Sandpiper which flew in off with 2 Barwits and 7 Curlews mid-morning. The flock wheeled round appearing to want to land on a stubble but the CS was having none of it and promptly flew back out to sea and eastwards.

Fussy blighter ! ;) Nicely, humourously descibed events nonetheless :t:

Firecrest finally confirmed in the garden today. Has been either a Goldcrest or Firecrest flitting around the last couple of days but today was the first time I managed good enough views!
Will hopefully manage pictures tomorrow but the strong winds and rain might stop that.

Green. Pink and purple warbler just as likely!! It all about visualization!! Look forward to your firecrest photos. Little gems of the highest quality. Even better to have one in the garden. Regards. Mark.

Indeed it is! Will do my best tomorrow, think my best chance was today, ironically when I was on the phone to orange! But will give it a go!

and it was definitely to Orange, not to Yellow Pages ?

Orange Juice, Wolverhampton Wanderers, The orange plastic bits on ink cartridges, Orange guitar amps, pumpkins, doritoes, cheese, carrots, leaves, lava.....These are all orange...as are Firecrest's crests....I'm satisfied!

The future's Orange

With all these colours swirling around, this thread has taken on a psychedelic character. I know my collective is ‘Acidic’, but it’s not Lysergic.

Have I suddenly gone environmentally colour blind ? The last time I looked at lava, it was solid- and as grey as Sir John Major’s Spitting Image puppet. (I must admit, I wasn’t inside Mt Etna at the time.)

And leaves ? Most of these are green, surely ? This is England, not New England in the fall.

However, we’ll all be healthy, having 5-a-day of this citrus fruit- the disadvantage being that we could end up looking like the Dutch football team, or David Dickinson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back