• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 300mm f2.8 Firmware Update (1 Viewer)

i321587

This was posted on 'Canon Rumors' of 19 September.

Has anyone had their lens updated yet? If so with what results?

"To the Users of the EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF500mm f/4L IS II USM, and EF600mm f/4L IS II USM Interchangeable Lenses for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

UPDATE:
Please see the changes to the “Identification Procedure” section below regarding the criteria for affected serial numbers. The identification procedure has been enhanced to include the first, second and third digits from the left in order to more precisely identify affected products.

Thank you for using Canon products.

Canon has released a firmware update for EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF400mm F2.8L IS II USM, EF500mm f/4L IS II USM and EF600mm f/4L IS II USM lenses. This firmware update will be performed by Canon Service Centers. Please contact us using the contact information listed at the bottom of this page.

Firmware changes:
Firmware Version 1.1.1 incorporates the following enhancement:

1. Changes the control algorithm of the focus drive, and enhances the drive’s responsiveness for more precise
focus and adjustments. In particular, the new firmware enhances the AI servo AF capability of the lenses
to track objects that move irregularly in sports events, such as soccer or rugby.

Affected Products:
Firmware Version 1.1.1 is for lenses with Firmware Version 1.0.0. If the lens’ firmware is already Version 1.1.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware."

This firmware update came out in August 2012 and is only required if the mark 2
300 2.8 lens serial number is between 790xxxxxxx to 913xxxxxxx
400 2.8 lens serial number is between 790xxxxxxx to 913xxxxxxx
500 f4 lens serial number is between 880xxxxxxx to 910xxxxxxx
600 f4 lens serial number is between 880xxxxxxx to 910xxxxxxx
after that number they have the latest firmware

Last edited:
This firmware update came out in August 2012 and is only required if the mark 2
300 2.8 lens serial number is between 790xxxxxxx to 913xxxxxxx
400 2.8 lens serial number is between 790xxxxxxx to 913xxxxxxx
500 f4 lens serial number is between 880xxxxxxx to 910xxxxxxx
600 f4 lens serial number is between 880xxxxxxx to 910xxxxxxx
after that number they have the latest firmware

Thanks very helpful I am about to go for a new 500 I hope they have resolved the issue

Any new lens will now have the latest firmware,my 600 f4 had the latest firmware in it when i got it and that was about 18 months ago

Following my original post I took my lens to the Canon service centre at Elstree last Thursday. They emailed me the following day to say they update had been completed. I telephoned them on Monday and they were happy to courier the lens back to me. It arrived on Tuesday, updated, fully checked, tested and cleaned - all free of charge.

One very satisfied customer.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back