• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Footsteps in the Gambia - November 2016 (1 Viewer)

Thanks everyone for the information. We're off on 28th and staying at Palm Beach Hotel next to Kotu Creek so hoping it might be a little more bird-filled by then :)

In was told that the Senegambia have chopped lots of their trees down and the birds have moved in to the Kairaba gardens now. Odd thing to do for a hotel with a birding reputation unless maybe the monkeys have become such a pest they are trying to discourage them by removing their escape route!
Must admit, I didn't much like the Senegambia and the Palm Beach is a tad on the rough side . The birding outside there was the best around the Kotu Creek a week or two ago though.

I use both a DSLR and a Canon SX50, the SLR sparingly when I'm going to see something specific and the SX50 most of the time: it is brilliant for travelling when you don't use half your luggage allowance on camera and lenses, and the SX50 gives great results. Yours are superb, why lug the SLR when you get pictures like these and you are not intending to sell or publish them?
The only downsides are focussing on a bird in a bush or confusing foregrounds and trying to follow or pick up fast moving/flying birds when an SLR is needed.

The bridge camera can be very versatile but on the other hand a bit limited too. There was no way I could capture shots of some of the gorgeous Sunbirds they get in The Gambia. They just flit about too quickly!

Agree with Foxy - the SX50 is a cracking entry level camera for bird photography. I loved using mine for 3 years, and was more limited by my own abilities than the camera's. The SX50 thread has load of shots that its hard to believe come from such a cheap camera and such a tiny sensor.

Those Blue-bellied Rollers are absolute stunners!

Cheers
Mike

Another question if anyone can help. In the Helm guide it notes breeding and non breeding ranges - which times of the year are which for Gambia so I can brush up on the right species?

Thanks, so on that basis breeding ranges in Helm guide equate to wet season and thus we will be unlikely to see any breeding range only species - just resident and wintering ones. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back