• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D mkii rumour mongering (1 Viewer)

As Roy states opening price will be fairly high and give it a few months the price will come down. But if you want to be the kid on the block with a first, your choice and money.

I wonder in line with the other top models will we see in due course a 7D mk3, etc.

The starting price in the UK (£1599) is cheaper that the 7D MkI was to start with over 4 years ago. Perhaps Canon are starting to realise that money does not grow on trees lol.

Stand by for all the boring 'rip off Britain' posts by those who do not understand the earlier adopters premium practiced in the UK (and the rest of Europe). If past Cameras are anything to go by the early price will mean the GBP is in parity with the USD but the UK price will fall by around 30% fairly quickly once the initial rush is over and stocks becomes plentiful.

Not wishing to disappoint Roy ;) I note that the US price is approximately £230 cheaper than the UK price at current exchange rates.

I'd be interested to know why you think that complaining about a practise that is an obvious rip-off is boring and equates to a lack of understanding. What is there to understand here? Is there a valid reason that early adopters in the US pay a lot less than early adopters in Europe?

I tend to vote with my credit card when the price differential is significant, and order from B&H.

I might just get myself one of these. I don't know what the shutter count is on my 7d, but it's coming up to four years old and with about fifteen foreign trips in that time, plus constant use at home, the count isn't going to be low.

A birthday coming up in October fits in nicely with a mid-November release date and there'll be time to get my hand in before my first 2015 trip in January. It would be nice to have some indication of the noise performance at ISOs of say 800 to 1000 for hand holding in dull light with my 400/5.6.

Last edited:
Not wishing to disappoint Roy ;) I note that the US price is approximately £230 cheaper than the UK price at current exchange rates.

I'd be interested to know why you think that complaining about a practise that is an obvious rip-off is boring and equates to a lack of understanding. What is there to understand here? Is there a valid reason that early adopters in the US pay a lot less than early adopters in Europe?

I tend to vote with my credit card when the price differential is significant, and order from B&H.
The difference between the states and most other countries is three fold,
a) It is a lot bigger market
b) because of the market size and stiffer competition they tend to start up with the 'street' price whereas in the UK (and other European countries) they charge a premium for early adopters.
c) The US prices you see do not include state taxes (whereas ours does).

There is also the exchange rates between each currency and the Yen to consider.

With Cameras the prices in both the States and in the UK tend to end up fairly similar after the initial rush and when stocks become plentiful.

BTW when you consider all the taxes payable, and postage costs to import one from the states you will not save anything!!!!

Roy, if your arguments about the US being a bigger market, more competition, taxes, exchange rates etc were valid, wouldn't the price differential be permanent, rather than just for the first few months of a product's life? Are you really sure it's not just price gouging?

FWIW, the price differential I calculated is based on the UK price net of VAT.

Anyway, I've hijacked the thread long enough!

Cheers
Duncan

The difference between the states and most other countries is three fold,
a) It is a lot bigger market
b) because of the market size and stiffer competition they tend to start up with the 'street' price whereas in the UK (and other European countries) they charge a premium for early adopters.
c) The US prices you see do not include state taxes (whereas ours does).

There is also the exchange rates between each currency and the Yen to consider.

With Cameras the prices in both the States and in the UK tend to end up fairly similar after the initial rush and when stocks become plentiful.

BTW when you consider all the taxes payable, and postage costs to import one from the states you will not save anything!!!!

Sorry to continue the hijack, but a quick calculation - if I buy from B&H at USD 1,799 the cost of delivery to mainland UK is USD 77. Using an exchange rate of $1.6=£1, this is £1,172.50. There is no UK import duty, just VAT at 20%, giving total cost of £1,407. WEX is offering it at £1,599 - saving is £192.

If you buy from the US, presumably any warranty support would have to be with Canon USA - ie camera would have to be sent back to the USA with the extra postage costs and delays.

It seems Canon have got us UK/European customers by the short and curlies!

Roy, if your arguments about the US being a bigger market, more competition, taxes, exchange rates etc were valid, wouldn't the price differential be permanent, rather than just for the first few months of a product's life? Are you really sure it's not just price gouging?
Cheers
Duncan
Of course the retailers here are trying to take advantage of early adopters, we all know it is going to happen and there is nothing we can do about it so what is the point of harping on about it :cat: BTW it is not only the UK and Europe that this goes on but it is the same in many other party of the world. Even within the UK there are huge price differences on a whole range of goods between where I live in rural Devon and other parts of the country but that's life!!

I am most surprised that the UK starting price is so low as it very often starts off on parity with the USD so I would have expected £1799 (which, strangely enough was where the 7D mkI started).

I do not know the score these days but it used to be that the warranty on Canon lenses was good for any country but DSLR's were only good for the country of origin.

Anyway this is definitely my last word on this - life is too short to worry about things like this B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back