• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fat Balls! (1 Viewer)

Talon 1

What are the ingredients. The birds seem to love em. I have been offered 100 fat balls for £12 so thats about 12p a ball. That can't be bad can it?

Hi Free
You can make your own version by using lard, melting it in the microwave, then mixing seeds, insects, etc to create your own favourite recipe and pouring it into a mould (like half-coconuts with a bit of string through them). Hey presto, yum yum...

Gus

Free said:
What are the ingredients. The birds seem to love em. I have been offered 100 fat balls for £12 so thats about 12p a ball. That can't be bad can it?

The basic ingredients are fat and seed - different brands use different mixes and the quality of the seed mix will vary, some include berries and/or dried insects. If you make your own then melted suet and seed mixed together and allowed to cool will do the trick. 100 for £12 seems very good.

Richard D said:
The basic ingredients are fat and seed - different brands use different mixes and the quality of the seed mix will vary, some include berries and/or dried insects. If you make your own then melted suet and seed mixed together and allowed to cool will do the trick. 100 for £12 seems very good.

Thats what i thought. I weighed it all up and at 12p a ball and no mess it can't be more expensive than making it yourself plus without the mess.

Suet is a £1 a 500mg so how many balls out of that. With the seed i think there can't be alot in it.
I popped into my pet shop and they where charging 55p for 1 !!

I wonder what Mary thinks as she has her own pet shop? :h?:

Free said:
Thats what i thought. I weighed it all up and at 12p a ball and no mess it can't be more expensive than making it yourself plus without the mess.

Suet is a £1 a 500mg so how many balls out of that. With the seed i think there can't be alot in it.
I popped into my pet shop and they where charging 55p for 1 !!

I wonder what Mary thinks as she has her own pet shop? :h?:

Hi Free,

The fat balls are well worth it and so much cheaper, when you buy them in bulk(very little profit).
Much better to keep them in a cool dry place as opposed to a fridge though and preferably in the box they come in.
They are extremely popular here Free.
Hope that helps :flowers:

Forgot to say.Not a Pet shop Free,we don't do livestock :bounce:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back