• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Turkey (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Anyone been birding in the usual holiday resorts around S. Turkey in early March? Failing that, how about Egypt`s Red sea area. Enjoyed Eilat but found the airport interrogation very intimidating.

Any info gratefully received.

Mavis.

I did some birding in Turkey in April 1996 - so maybe a bit later but probably still relevant. I'm not absolutely sure where you mean by 'the usual holiday resorts' but I stayed at Dalyan and Antalya for a few days each, both of which are quite touristy.

Dalyan was good, although probably with the same birds that you could find right along that coast. Krupers Nuthatch was fairly common in the pine forests and Rock Nuthatch common in, well, rocky areas. Otherwise there were a lot of migrants going through (as everywhere in Turkey) although you might be a bit early for most of the summer species.

I'll maybe try and post a bit more when I can get my hands on my records for that trip (probably not till Christmas) but I would say that generally Turkey is terrific for birds and you'll see a lot wherever you are. If you can find even a small bit of fresh water, trees or open farmland then there will be good birds. I saw species such as Collared Flycatcher and Eastern Bonelli's Warbler in the middle of Antalya so anything's possible anywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back