• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Something nasty to be aware of. (1 Viewer)

Mickymouse

Ubuntu Linux user
I received this warning in my Email at work so I thought I would post it here and maybe prevent someone doing them self a mischief.

There have been a number of instances recently where members of the public
and organisations have received telephone calls purporting to emanate from
either Visa or MasterCard Headquarters. The calls follow a similar pattern.
The caller identifies themselves as a member of the card security/fraud
department. They enquire as to whether the card holder has made a recent
high value purchase of goods. The caller provides details of the purchase
and when the card holder confirms that they have not made the purchase the
caller asks for the 3 or 4 digit security number printed on the reverse of
the card in order that they can validate the card is still in the card
holders possession. The caller will never ask for any other details of the
card, they already have these in their possession. The caller will provide a
fraud reference number and a telephone number on which they can be
contacted.

These calls are not genuine and do not come from the card companies. They
are a fraud and the result is that a purchase is then made via the internet
or telephone for high value goods.

If any member of staff receive such calls they should not provide any
details of their cards. They should arrange to call back the credit card
company concerned. If the caller is genuine they will have no objection to
this.

This fraud has been operating successfully in surrey and the south east.

That's a direct copy paste job, hope I am not breaching copyright, the warning is valid however.

Mick

Thanks Mick,

I have heard about this one thanks for the warning though it may keep a few more people aware of this scam.

My other half keeps getting ones supposedly from banks stating that they need to varify the details on the account - the scammers that have tried it have been using banks which we have never had any dealings with ever.

At home we have lots of scam emails purportedly from banks saying we need to visit the site (and a link is given) to confirm our details. They have been from Barclay's and Lloyd's mainly, neither of which we bank with. I suppose they just send masses of these emails out, hoping that some hit the right people and that they will follow the link. I had to warn my sister about these emails, as she banks with Lloyd's and would tend to believe that the email came from them.

I work for a bank and this crops up quite often. No Bank or credit card provider wil EVER ask for passwords, PIN's, etc in a phone call or Email. Its ALWAYS a scam. The fraudster are always looking for new angles ans avenues of attack, and they are a persistant and inventive crowd. After all, there is money to be made.

They only defence is to NEVER disclose information to anyone. At all. Ever.

AndyC

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back