• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acorns - everywhere! (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
We have three large oak trees along one of our boundaries (in our neighbour's garden), and I can't remember such a bumper crop of acorns before. I have just been out to take some photographs, and they were absolutely raining down as a gust of wind caught the trees. I saw a jay in a nearby road, where there is an enormous oak, but none in the garden so far - I'm still hoping!

Attachments

• Acorns 002.jpg
    Acorns 002.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 91
Thats some shower of acorns EB. The jays will have a field day with those, will keep my fingers crossed for you.
bert.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
We have three large oak trees along one of our boundaries (in our neighbour's garden), and I can't remember such a bumper crop of acorns before. I have just been out to take some photographs, and they were absolutely raining down as a gust of wind caught the trees. I saw a jay in a nearby road, where there is an enormous oak, but none in the garden so far - I'm still hoping!

I've only got the one oak tree along my boundary, there must have been lots at one time, the close that I live in is actually Oak Tree Field in Welsh. The have been dozens of acorns coming down with the strong winds we have been getting this past few days, they were all over the lawn, but mine are still very green, yours look ripe - you must have had better weather than me! I was only thinking where are all the jays when you need them? Never seen one in this village at all.

There were even more after a particularly windy day - nearly all well ripened. We have had a big sweep up today, and now I have a large carrier bag full of acorns which I shall store in a mouse-proof bin in the garage for some while. We have had jays in the garden at times, so now if I see one I can offer it some food..

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back