• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

A Water Rail showed well in front of the West Hide on the moors this afternoon.

Also, a couple of atypical Lesser Black-backed Gulls with pinkish legs rather than the more usual bright yellow (probably slightly immature).

This is probably the same bird ( on my flickr page) that peaked my interest Dave and lead to me phoning you later ? Been forced to do some much needed Gull referencing today..actually enjoyed it.. :t:

This is probably the same bird ( on my flickr page) that peaked my interest Dave and lead to me phoning you later ? Been forced to do some much needed Gull referencing today..actually enjoyed it.. :t:

I would say definately the same bird Mark, it's the all black primaries that give it away, it was the eye that threw me, but reading up on it it appears that the iris developes from brown to yellow, blimey are'nt gulls awkward 8-P

Nice early morning on The Moors today. Texted Dave when the Egret came over and saw Phil in the car park.
As promised here are a few piccies...

A shabby Reed Bunting eating caterpillars out of the sapling Willow.
The Little Owl (I saw two) on Hobden Hall Farm (please remember the range).
A Heron taking one of numerous tiddlers.
And a couple of the Little Egret that came over at 0622 and headed North...

Attachments

• Reed Bunting Male_resize.jpg
    Reed Bunting Male_resize.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Little Owl_resize.jpg
    Little Owl_resize.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 68
  • Heron_resize.jpg
    Heron_resize.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Little Egret_resize.jpg
    Little Egret_resize.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Little Egret2_resize.jpg
    Little Egret2_resize.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
The male Redstart showed well - sunning itself on the pile of cut grass by the flashes hide this morning. Common Whitethroat and Lesser Whitethroat also in that area. 2 Peregrines flew over (the female had a kill). A Little Owl was on Hobden Hall chimney again.

Lots of Brown Hawkers around - they were too quick to photograph but I managed to get a shot of a Southern Hawker.

Attachments

• Redstart Flashes 240711.jpg
    Redstart Flashes 240711.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Southern Hawker UW 240711.jpg
    Southern Hawker UW 240711.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 68
Sunday 24th July

Today's sightings so far:

MOORS POOL
Little Egret over at 6:22am as per SiVi (nice photos), 4 GC Grebe + 1 young, 2 Cormorant, 16 Tufted Duck and 3+ broods (8:3:3), 1 Teal, 1 Common Sandpiper (coloured ringed), 105 Coot, 9 Moorhen, 6 LBB Gull, 2 ad + 1 juv Common Tern, Kingfisher, 6 Grey Heron, 2 Little Owls on Hobden Hall Farm

FLASHES
33 Curlew, no Avocet, 14 Green Sand (only 4 visible when first entered the hide), 4 LRP, 29 Lapwing, 1 Teal, 1 ad + 1 juv Common Tern, 3 Coot, 8 Moorhen, male Redstart showing very well sunning itself on the pile of cut grass in the hedgerow to the right of the hide, 2 Peregrines on the masts, 2 Grey Herons, notable increase in Pied Wag numbers (incl several young), 6 Raven over as per Clive Lee & Brian Richardson

SAILING POOL
16 Greylag Geese (the first sightings for nearly two months)

Belated news from the week was 4 Black-tailed Godwits at the Flashes on Tues 19th and 2 there on Thurs 21st, plus 2 Little Egrets at the Flashes on 19th.

Last edited:
hi every one I was wondering if anyone be able to identify this picture of a Dragonfly of Damselfly taken at Upton Warren today.

also took this photo of a Broad bodied Chaser i think?

Attachments

• Broad bodied Chaser.JPG
    Broad bodied Chaser.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC02886.jpg
    DSC02886.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC02885.jpg
    DSC02885.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 94
Please note that the Flashes will be disturbed on the evening of Tuesday 26th July for a ragwort pulling session in anticipation of livestock potentially being introduced into this side of the reserve later in the year.

Last edited:
Photo 1- Black-tailed skimmer (??)
photo 2+3 - female Beautiful demoiselle (??)
Wait for the experts ;)
MB

Correct on all counts.

For those who have not seen a Bank Vole at Upton, here is one in front and below the Flashes hide. The image was taken by John Sirrett.

Des.

Correct on all counts.

For those who have not seen a Bank Vole at Upton, here is one in front and below the Flashes hide. The image was taken by John Sirrett.

Des.

The image as promised.

Des

Attachments

• Bank Vole Upton Warren 19-07-11 (2).jpg
    Bank Vole Upton Warren 19-07-11 (2).jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 108
Correct on all counts.

Des.

Thank you for identifying them me and also to Midlands Birder. I've just started looking at Dragonflies and Damselflies so i'm bit green at the moment.

Apparently the Bank Vole is one of the most common mammals in the UK, so it can only be enough suitable nesting sites that keeps Barn Owl numbers down.

Des.

Suitable sites for nesting and roosting are disappearing all the time - I fondly remember the large willow trees next to the Sailing Pool that held a wintering Barn Owl until the erection of the climbing masts meant the end of that roost.

Two of the "commoner" species yet to be recorded at Upton Warren in 2011 are Garganey and Pintail. For both numbers seem to have declined in recent years with fewer long-staying pairs / flocks.

Below are the stats year-on-year and also in blocks of four years of the culmalative daily totals for both species (missing data for '95 and '96):

Attachments

• Garganey - annual.jpg
    Garganey - annual.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 81
  • Garganey - 4 year totals.jpg
    Garganey - 4 year totals.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Pintail - annual.jpg
    Pintail - annual.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Pintail - 4 year totals.jpg
    Pintail - 4 year totals.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
The sun brings out the birds and butterflies.

Just a quick post with a few shots taken yesterday and today. Yesterday a shot of a Scraggy looking White-Letter Hairsteak taken by river Salworpe. Today Kingfisher and Juvinile Water Rail taken from Water Rail hide this afternoon. Juv Water Rail now flying and seems to be getting colour on beak.

Simon P
:news:

Attachments

• Kingfisher-Juv-With-Fish.jpg
    Kingfisher-Juv-With-Fish.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 88
  • White-Letter-Hairstreak.jpg
    White-Letter-Hairstreak.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Juv-Water-Rail-1.jpg
    Juv-Water-Rail-1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 101