• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (14 Viewers)

He was seen sunday afternoon and also heard shooting in the fields by transmitter, from the bangs it definitely not .22 more like 12 bore. Whilst i am here, small gripe. What happened to the "quality cake" i was promised? its alright determining who goes for light or dark biscuits but i am more of a homemade cake man myself. Dennis

I only just managed to get the last piece Dennis, I did look for you to share it but you had gone8-P honest.
We will have to have a cake fest on the May 'all-dayer'.
I am also a home made cake boy..see if we can get some made for us.:t:John

generous Donation

I would like to thank Rob E (forgetfulelephant) for the very generous donation he made today. This will go with the other donation towards a new strimmer.

B :)Rob, from all of us

john i really think your comments are scraping the bottom of the biscuit barrel!;)
OH crumbs I won't do it again8-P,
Unfortunately the 'underclass' for which there is no hope go for hob-nobs, of which I am a proud muncher
I take it Trace like me you eat hob-nobs :-O

Last edited:
Yep - that's a thoroughly well-patted back, Bobby Boy! (anyone I know who calls themselves Rob, really hates being referred to as Bob or Bobby).

Tuesday work party at Amy's marsh 6th March 2012

Today 13 of us continued preparing Amy's marsh for the coming breeding season.
Work included:
1.Clearing the Broadmeadow Island, this involved lopping all the emergent willows and alders and 'treating' them. We also did the same with the bramble patches. This opened up the shingle for breeding waders to utilise.
2. The whole of the grassy area on the east and west bank of the broadmeadow was strimmed and many willow saplings were treated.
3. The brash was burned on site.
The work on Amy's marsh should be completed next week.

The 4 photos show areas after the work.
1. The Broadmeadow island
2. east bank
3. west bank
4 shows the new bridge and boardwalk behind the tool shed.

Attachments

• BR Island (2).jpg
    BR Island (2).jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Br Med east bank (2).JPG
    Br Med east bank (2).JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 65
  • West bank BrM (2).JPG
    West bank BrM (2).JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Forum B walk (2).jpg
    Forum B walk (2).jpg
    293 KB · Views: 70
Birding today

My car registered 17 degrees C at 2pm, but still too early for any migrants.
Species counts at the MOORS
GCG 5, Shoveler 14, Teal 10, Shelduck pr, Tufted c40, Pochard 8, Oystercatcher 2, Snipe 5, water rail calling from north moors. At least 10 Bullfinch on the feeding station.

At the Flashes the temperature dropped as the SE breeze freshened.
From 4pm to 6.20pm the roosting flock built steadily.
With totals as follows:
Mute swan pr, Teal 30+, Shoveler 1 male, Shelduck pr, Gadwall, Mallard 30, Coot 10, Lapwing 24, Curlew 24, Oystercatcher pr, Snipe 1, BHG 1100 min, LBBG 26, Herring Gull 4,
Fieldfare, redwing 15. several reed bunting roosting in reed beds -
Other the roosting species were: Green woodpecker, water rail calling on 3rd flash, Raven,
B :)John

Last edited:
GCG 5, Shoveler 14, Teal 10, Shelduck pr, Tufted c40, Pochard 8, Oystercatcher 2, Snipe 5, water rail calling from north moors. At least 10 Bullfinch on the feeding station.

With totals as follows:
Mute swan pr, Teal 30+, Shoveler 1 male, Shelduck pr, Gadwall, Mallard 30, Coot 10, Lapwing 24, Curlew 24, Oystercatcher pr, Snipe 1, BHG 1100 min, LBBG 26, Herring Gull 4,
Fieldfare, redwing 15.
Other the roosting species were: Green woodpecker, water rail calling on 3rd flash

I know it did'nt roost John but don't forget the transient Collared Dove, a very unusual sight at the flashes (at least for me) :t:

Today 13 of us continued preparing Amy's marsh for the coming breeding season.
Work included:
1.Clearing the Broadmeadow Island, this involved lopping all the emergent willows and alders and 'treating' them. We also did the same with the bramble patches. This opened up the shingle for breeding waders to utilise.
2. The whole of the grassy area on the east and west bank of the broadmeadow was strimmed and many willow saplings were treated.
3. The brash was burned on site.
The work on Amy's marsh should be completed next week.

I'm tempted to say nice work and it's looking good for the forthcoming breeding season, but I wouldn't want to be accused of being over-congratulatory or indulging in excessive back-slapping. So ... it looks OK. ;)

OH crumbs I won't do it again8-P,
Unfortunately the 'underclass' for which there is no hope go for hob-nobs, of which I am a proud muncher
I take it Trace like me you eat hob-nobs :-O

i would appreciate it if you could retract that last comment, anyone reading that message between john and tracy and don't know us! think of the scandal!;)

cheers for the info had a look through 1st on must be a collectable its £120 was'nt planning on spending that much on the hol!! will check through others later, cheers again.

Hi Trace - I saw that on Amazon and couldn't believe it - it was only about £12 new if I remember - must be out of print. Absolutely brilliant site guide though. They should reprint it.

I'll refrain from patting anyone's back as I understand it doesn't go down too well with some people. Nah, who cares? - Nice one Rob for the donation and to John and the Tuesday crew for all the great work!

With totals as follows:
Fieldfare, redwing 15.
Other the roosting species were: Green woodpecker, water rail calling on 3rd flash

Hadnt realised Sys's weather station had been fitted to cars, can i have one please cos my Punto is only the basic model but modify so that it doesnt register wind. Dennis

I'd like to echo Dennis's comment re cake ;)

Btw I understand that some people have complained there is too much 'patting each other on the back' in this forum. (Why anyone would complain when we're all on the same side is beyond me..) I have made a quick calculation of the man hours put in by volunteers in work parties, report writing, background meetings with the trust etc etc and I reckon that if you applied the minimum hourly wage then the work put in by volunteers calculates shy of £100k a year !!

I think all those that contribute to make the reserve the best it can be for wildlife and everyone else should be very proud of that - sorry if that sounds like a pat on the back 8-P

There is a fine line between being proud of the good work you have achieved (which does merit praise) and becoming mutually congratulatory. At times it becomes very saccharine and bordering on sycophancy.

I dont know to whose comments you are refering but I do recall the word 'Tolerance' being used a few weeks back when a lively discussion about the work parties ensued.

Come on guys, there is nothing wrong with being proud of what you achieve but dont go OTT and certainly don't go letting yourselves down and taking the P**s out of an individual because they voiced an opinion about it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back