• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr bird video thread (1 Viewer)

Got this Barn Owl yesterday.
I only see about 1 a year so am pleased to get stills as well as this video.
(warning its a bit gruesome at one part)

http://vimeo.com/10458764

Couldn't do anything about the IS noise as was trying my best not to shake hanging out the car window and balancing the lens on my wing mirror :)

HokkaidoStu You are becoming the Brent Geese video expert love it, the Barn Owl is very good too, you must know their territory very well, to get video like that peteh......

Nope, I was just very very lucky.
It was hunting in daylight at my local patch (for the first time ever)
I saw it go down after being mobbed by gulls and hoodies so I approached in the car slowly and spotted it in the bush doing that.
By only moving when it had its head down feeding I was able to open my window and get the lens out and video it.

Nice video Pete.

I watched a baby Ural Owl decapitate some kind of rodent last summer, shame I didn't have a video capable DSLR with me.........

These videos are great, especially love the one of the Dipper, that constant bobbing motion is something that only a video can capture and it's fascinating to see behaviour attributes like that that you can't get from photographs. I will be watching... :D

Azzy. Totally agree about the behavior capturing that stills cant do .

Rob shame about the shutter speed you can definately see the affect it has. Lovely colours on that vid though. you will just have to go back with the correct setting and do it again :)

ps. i take it you like Anne Hathaway then ? ;)

Azzy. Totally agree about the behavior capturing that stills cant do .

Rob shame about the shutter speed you can definately see the affect it has. Lovely colours on that vid though. you will just have to go back with the correct setting and do it again :)

ps. i take it you like Anne Hathaway then ? ;)

Yes I WILL lol
As for Anne yes i do a very fine bird .
Rob.

Very long distance Black-throated Divers.
I would guess 200-300metres away so had to stack the 1.4 and 2x converters onto the 500mmf4.
I should have put the tripod behind the car to get some protection from the wind by the look of it though as it seems the video is shaking with the wind hitting the lens.

http://vimeo.com/10900785

Haha yeah i kept that in so it gave a better idea of where the bird was.
At one point i had 20 calfs staring at me at the gate and they had completely blocked my view of where the yellowhammers were landing.

Smart bird!
what shutter speed were you using? The birds movement looks a bit jerky but it could be flickrs hosting doing that.

Have been experimenting a bit with HD video on the 7d. Took some video of garden birds: Greenfinch, Robin and Coal Tit. All taken at 24fps at 1/50 sec and crudely edited together with MPEG Streamclip.

Found it hard to maintain 1/50 shutter speed. Tried leaving the ISO at auto but it tended to overexpose, so in bright sunlight in the evening I found that ISO 125 to 200 seemed to work. I used an old digiscoping trick of a 2x plastic slide viewer velcroed to the LCD screen to help with the focusing, some was manual and some auto. All taken with 300mm f4 lens with 1.4x.

TS

nice clips.

I have the video set to M mode with 1/50 set and iso 100 set then to get the exposure right I adjust the aperture only.

Also what picture style are you using? You might want to try a custom style and drop the contrast right down. Which helps to minimize the overexposure.

Got this of a Wheatear the other day but was balancing on a beanbag so had to run it through a stabiliser program. It seems to have lost a bit of sharpness doing that though.

http://vimeo.com/11403973

Also did some test pans of gannets flying past. With a Wimberley head pans seem possible and with a bit of practice could be good. My only problem is i shot it at 50fps to do some slomo tests and everytime i export the mp4 file its getting a wierd shadow effect. Soon as I work out how to fix it ill upload it.
I also tested some iso12800 in near darkness video last night. Its only of bats and you can hardly see them but from the tests I reckon dusk videoing of nightjars etc will be possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back