• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird Nest - Parents Gone (1 Viewer)

Aimi

We have a blackbirds nest in our back garden. Yesterday all 6 eggs hatched and the mother and father took it in turns to keep the nest warm. We saw the parents returning to the nest with food on many occasions. However, last night when we had a quick look, neither parent was on the nest and again this morning, no parent to be seen. I reluctantly looked in the nest to find all babies dead :( We are very disappointed as we wanted the nest to be successful. Does anyone have any opinions on why both parents have abandoned the nest at this stage?
Thanks

Hi Aimi and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

What a shame that you have lost that nest. Unfortunately nature can be very hard to observe at times. There could be as many reasons for the failure as there are birds in the nest. The young ones might not have been healthy and the parents realised this so moved on with their own lives. The adults may have been predated by cats/Sparrowhawks, or even killed by a car. However, it is unusual for both to be killed at the same time.

Disturbance could be another factor, but it doesn't sound from your post that you constantly went near the nest, so I don't thank that was the issue this time.

Failure rate in nests is actually quite high, which is why our garden birds usually lay so many eggs.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us. All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we usually have one or two meets each year and they're all great fun. We had one recently and you can read all about it in this thread. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

Hi Aimi and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

What a shame that you have lost that nest. Unfortunately nature can be very hard to observe at times. There could be as many reasons for the failure as there are birds in the nest. The young ones might not have been healthy and the parents realised this so moved on with their own lives. The adults may have been predated by cats/Sparrowhawks, or even killed by a car. However, it is unusual for both to be killed at the same time.

Disturbance could be another factor, but it doesn't sound from your post that you constantly went near the nest, so I don't thank that was the issue this time.

Failure rate in nests is actually quite high, which is why our garden birds usually lay so many eggs.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us. All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we usually have one or two meets each year and they're all great fun. We had one recently and you can read all about it in this thread. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)
I have actually just noticed the father in the garden but nowhere near the nest. It is such a pity. I will have to bring myself to remove the chicks later on today. I was aware that success rates were low so I suppose it's not too much of a surprise.

This may seem a bit strange, but I'd suggest you leave the nest alone if you possibly can, Aimi. It may seem wrong to us, but the bodies will provide sustenance for other species, that may also have young to feed. Nothing goes to waste in nature.

Aimi has Delia has said sometimes nature can be sad and cruel, I record nests for the British Trust for Ornithology, Nest Record Scheme (BTO, NRS).
Firstly leave the dead young were they are, they will become food for some other critter. Secondly Blackbirds have up to 3-4 broods each year.
Also how did you know it was the same male Blackbird, did it have any unusual markings, mainly all Blackbirds look exactly the same ??

Damian

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back