• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help please. Chickadee nest in my bird feeder. (1 Viewer)

NCbirdwatcher

A couple of weeks ago I found that a pair of black-capped chickadees built a nest in my bird feeder when I went to refill it. So I left it alone and have been watching them. It's difficult to see much through the plastic but I think the eggs hatched a couple of days ago as both parents are now going in and out every few minutes. I assume they are feeding the chicks. My concern is if the chicks will be able to get out of the feeder when it's time. The nearest hole above the nest is about 5 or 6 inches up from the top of the nest. Should I take the feeder down at some point so they can get out, and if so, when? Or should I just leave it alone? Thanks for any help.

Well, this is a new one on me. Never heard or have seen anything like this. I've moved your thread to a section of the forum that will probably get more attention and hopefully some suggestions as to what to do.

A warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

Gosh!! Just when you think you've heard it all... along comes another surprise LOL.

Probably best not to interfere at this stage i think. Just keep watching and see if they seem to be in difficulty when they're trying to get out.

Please let us know what happens.

The parents will try to lead them out when the time is right. If you watch the nest, you will probably see and hear their attempts to do this.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back