• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

25-56x / 25-75x zoom eyepiece for 78 ED (1 Viewer)

cirrus said:
Just bought myself the 78ED with a 25-75x eyepiece....... what a difference to my old Opticron Classic ! ( stolen on a trip to France ) I did some research and testing myself and came to the conclusion that for the price ( huge discount at Warehouse express ) the Nikon could not be beaten.

The price has dropped £50 since I bought mine in mid March, so the price is now even better.

Regarding Stay on Case for ED78, In Focus do a black nylon padded SOC for around £45, if I can find my reciept I will confirm the price, its not a skua but its more than adequate and helps protect the scope

HTH
Will

willimac said:
Regarding Stay on Case for ED78, In Focus do a black nylon padded SOC for around £45, if I can find my reciept I will confirm the price, its not a skua but its more than adequate and helps protect the scope

I rang and asked In Focus if they did a case they said not so I would be very interested in just which case it was they found for you. The carry case it comes with is usable but a SOC would be better.

Bill
Will try and find my receipt and PM you if I do, i purchased it around six months ago after a day of phoning round everywhere, the case is a black nylon SOC(it does not carry a brand name or logo) It has most of the features of a Skua but not the quality , but there again it was substantially cheaper than an equivelent Skua.
Regards
Will

Bill
Found purchase on old bank statement, it was in September 2003 from In Focus, Denby Dale and cost £51 including P&P

Regards
Will

willimac said:
Bill
Found purchase on old bank statement, it was in September 2003 from In Focus, Denby Dale and cost £51 including P&P

That's interesting because it was Denby Dale that I spoke to in March. Perhaps I'll have another go. Thanks for the information.

Thanks for this gem of information Willimac, been using Nikon 78 since it first came on the market, and always wanted a stay-on case. Just ordered mine from Denby Dale. Birdforums is a brilliant source of invaluable tips like this one. Thanks again.

Clive

Stay on case for ED 78

I have had an angled ED78 for some years and couldn't find a stay on case in the UK. I found one in the US - via Discover Birdings website. They make a range of generic stay on cases. They are well made and well padded. Not a perfect custom fit but functional enough. And affordable. I think mine only cost between £20 and £30 plus customs/import duty. All ordered online. Hope that's useful.

David Chandler said:
I have had an angled ED78 for some years and couldn't find a stay on case in the UK. I found one in the US - via Discover Birdings website. They make a range of generic stay on cases. They are well made and well padded. Not a perfect custom fit but functional enough. And affordable. I think mine only cost between £20 and £30 plus customs/import duty. All ordered online. Hope that's useful.

Hi Dave, do you have the web address, I've searched but can't find it. Just bought a 78ED and need a case (already lost the lens cover - somewhere between Zaragoza and Trujillo, in case anybody finds it!!). As I am THE worlds clumsiest birder a SOC is a must.

thanks

Nick

Nick-on said:
Hi Dave, do you have the web address, I've searched but can't find it. Just bought a 78ED and need a case (already lost the lens cover - somewhere between Zaragoza and Trujillo, in case anybody finds it!!). As I am THE worlds clumsiest birder a SOC is a must.

thanks

Nick

Hi Nick. I've searched too and can't find it. It was a few years ago now - I'm wondering if they have gone out of business (it was a pretty good price...). The badge on the stay on case says Discover Birding Products, and, from memory, I think they were based in California. If I find anything more I will post something up. Sorry.

william j clive said:
Thanks for this gem of information Willimac, been using Nikon 78 since it first came on the market, and always wanted a stay-on case. Just ordered mine from Denby Dale. Birdforums is a brilliant source of invaluable tips like this one. Thanks again.

Clive

Clive

Did you get your stay-on case from Denby Dale and if so would you recommend it to a more recent 78 owner (courtesy Warehouse Express) and very pleased with it.

Bill W

Watts said:
Clive

Did you get your stay-on case from Denby Dale and if so would you recommend it to a more recent 78 owner (courtesy Warehouse Express) and very pleased with it.

Bill W

Hello Bill

The answer is yes to both questions. Very pleased with it. It is a Opticron case and works well.

Clive

Watts said:
Clive

Bill W

The case that Denby dale suggest is the case for the Opticron Imagic 80 and costs £49. They suggest that since the Imagic scopes are being phased out that now would be a good time to buy one. They seem to be the same price wherever you look.

bill lord said:
The case that Denby dale suggest is the case for the Opticron Imagic 80 and costs £49. They suggest that since the Imagic scopes are being phased out that now would be a good time to buy one. They seem to be the same price wherever you look.
Bill, thanks.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back