• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

20x or 27X for ED50? (1 Viewer)

I use, and recommend, the 27x. I have a number of fieldscope eyepieces because I have several fieldscopes, but I always use the 27x on the 50 mm to match the 30x that is my favorite on my 78 mm ED. I find that this power works very well on a tripod. Any less and you aren't getting the full benefit of a scope, any more and the viewing is less comfortable (FOV and DOF restricted, harder to eliminate shake) and usually doesn't contain significantly more detail anyway due to atmospheric limitations. At first, I wondered if the 27x would be uncomfortably dim on the 50mm, but I haven't found this to be the case (unlike in lesser quality scopes).

--AP

I´d back up Alexis 100% on this. I also have the 27x on my ED50, I find I don´t bother with the zoom anymore. It stands up well to comparison with the 30xw on the ED82A, so well in fact that the bigger scope stays at home usually nowadays.

I use the 20x, which I chose over the 27x. I am, however, going to also agree with the 27x advocates! Not due to any regrets I have, but because the ED50 can be used in two ways. I use mine handheld or with a shoulderpod, and for that the 20x is the better choice - wider fov, less susceptable to shake and so on. If you intend to use your ED50 with a tripod, the 27x is the better, as Alexis has said.
As another alternative, there is the 13-40x zoom. Its very much a 'love it or loathe it' eyepiece, but it does give you huge flexibility if you get on with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back