• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

Cheers all.

In terms of wildlife art let me tell you all that the painting of bathroom doors and doorframes with one-coat, non-drip gloss can be considered as one of the least artistically satisfying forms of painting known to man!...

Tomorrow I refuse to do any more DIY!

Mike

Cheers all.

In terms of wildlife art let me tell you all that the painting of bathroom doors and doorframes with one-coat, non-drip gloss can be considered as one of the least artistically satisfying forms of painting known to man!...

Tomorrow I refuse to do any more DIY!

Mike

Hi Mike. when I lived in London to break the boredom of house painting I did this on the inside of the loo door to remind me of the village I grew up in. When we sold up and moved back to Norfolk the door came with us.

Attachments

• scan 19-02-2011 20h07m42s.jpg
    scan 19-02-2011 20h07m42s.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 52
  • scan 19-02-2011 20h12m32s.jpg
    scan 19-02-2011 20h12m32s.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 46
Just to prove I've not died, here are some sketches of a fab little male sparrowhawk from this morning's Elmley trip along with a snipe who was one of a group of eight or more well hidden in the dead vegetation and sheltering from the cold. The spar was on a kill (possibly a starling) and a couple of crows were giving him a hard time. He was a fair distance away but he hung around for a while so into the book he went!

Mike

Attachments

• spar2.jpg
    spar2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 62
  • spar1.jpg
    spar1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 57
  • spar3.jpg
    spar3.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 53
  • spar4.jpg
    spar4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 57
  • spar5.jpg
    spar5.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 58
More spars and the snipe and a really quick JD and coke inspired lapwing painting I got done last night when I had an hour or so.

Mike

Attachments

• spar6.jpg
    spar6.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 43
  • spar7.jpg
    spar7.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 43
  • spar8.jpg
    spar8.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 46
  • andasnipe.jpg
    andasnipe.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 47
  • lapquickies.jpg
    lapquickies.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 67
Finally, although I said I wouldn't do it here's a quick preview of a couple of works in progress; The fox is part of the oil painting that I may or may not finish and the snipe is a little acrylic that will get done!

Mike

Attachments

• foxwip.jpg
    foxwip.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 86
  • snipewip.jpg
    snipewip.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 80
Starting to look like a famous Derry Torrent! Nothing for a long while, then an explosion. I have to say that I just love your field sketches. I think I could look at and enjoy them all day long. Of the bunch I think I like the last snipe best. Also love the lapwing paintings. And hope you finish both the other paintings. Really an enjoyable collection.

The 'explosion' of sketches are great, your fingers were more more switched on and warmer than mine to produce those quick lines....damn that cold wind.
Lapwings are looking very windblown as per the orig sketches, and the last two are coming along fine......good to see life in the beast still....!!!!!

Wow, a burst of artistic output! Wonderful stuff, all of it. The loo door is great, of course, and I really like the lapwing painting. And the sketches.

Years ago, I had a unique 'loo view' after climbing a mountain to a fire tower lookout. The ridge the lookout was on was pretty much solid rock, so no chance to dig a pit for the head there. So, they had built the throne in such a way that it was, literally, hanging out over a precipice, thereby 'solving' the disposal issue vertically. (No rock climbing routes on that cliff...!) That was weird enough (and of course probably was discontinued years ago as well, for ecological reasons) but what made it doubly strange was that the throne was not housed in anything - since only the fire tower crew were regulars there I guess they figured modesty was not a requirement of the specs for that particular installation. Just the open-air throne and a great mountain view. So if you were acrophobic and/or modest, this was not the place to be...!

goodness me- that JD and coke does seem to have done the trick in the grand derryesque manner

I might as well be the first to say the fox is finished..n'y touche pas

in the same spirit, I'm home alone this evening with half a bottle of rose, a can of stella and two spaniels, so I'm wondering whether to go exercise some muntjacs with them in the shrubbery, or make them sit down and watch me paint something

good
in the same spirit, I'm home alone this evening with half a bottle of rose, a can of stella and two spaniels, so I'm wondering whether to go exercise some muntjacs with them in the shrubbery, or make them sit down and watch me paint something
Do both, old boy - then down with the Stella and out with the media - can't wait to see the results!
Great drawings Mike - I can see the underlying forms in these sprawk drawings as though shot through x-ray. Wonderful.

Thanks folks.

For those that remember the Paddington pair from last year; They're back! Well, truth is they never went away really. All through the winter they've been around from time to time, usually singly and always intermittently. But now I've seen the tiercel display to the falcon and they're around, mostly together, pretty much the whole time. They're feeding well, on pigeons mainly by the look of it, and I hope they will make a breeding attempt this year. I've informed the London peregrine partnership and they've been in contact with the building management so hopefully there'll be no disturbance.

I'm keeping an eye on them whenever I can and I'll no doubt be sketching them too. I might even bring the scope in and get some better views. Anyway, here's a couple from this morning, like I said, they're feeding well on the local skyrats!

Mike

Attachments

• padpairnotes1.jpg
    padpairnotes1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 64
Very nice sketches, Mike! Great to have a pair available to sketch. Definitely looks like momma got the bulk of the most recent meal - she's looks rather like she's about to burst. :-O

We are fortunate to have a local pair nesting on the cliffs at famous Snoqualmie Falls, which is about a mile as the falcon flies from our house. They are on cliffs across from the falls viewing areas and there are some local 'grin groupies' who park there with scopes and follow (and photograph and videotape) the nesting cycle. This pair is now in its seventh year on the cliffs (they rotate scrape locations on the cliff face each year) and have successfully fledged around twenty young now, including four in each of the last two seasons. This pair is (most likely) the pair I have sketched in my thread when one or both show up to rest or scan for prey on the raptor snag tree near our house. This year, I'm going to take the scope to the falls and take advantage of the incubating bird's immobility -and the eyasses should be good subjects as well - and really try to push up the sketching skills.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back