• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (4 Viewers)

wow! slow down Mike me ole' mate! Going back up - the sparrowhawk on kill are among your finest field sketches ever - really, really! Such tension, composition, clear lines - just brilliant. I really like your JD and coke lapwings too - get onto the RSPB catalogue department - I could imagine that being on wrapping paper - it's such a strong design.

I have to agree with Nick D about the sparry sketches - quite superb. For me, this is the standard to aspire to. How to get loads of life without over-egging the pudding? - take a look at these. I still keep chucking way too many eggs in!

Russ

Right then...

The lappies have been consigned to a cupboard probably never to see the light of day again, the fox has been put on the 're-think' pile, and the snipe is on the backburner 'to do, (possibly)' pile.

It feels like I've been fannying about for ages, never getting over the painful hump that appears in the middle of every painting, so I took a couple of steps back from it all and worked on something simple and straightforward.

No frills, nothing clever, just a heron in the reeds. The question is; Do I 'do a Keeble' on it or no?

Mike

Attachments

• in-the-shallows.jpg
    in-the-shallows.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 61
  • in-the-shallows-crop.jpg
    in-the-shallows-crop.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 55
  • in-the-shallows-detail.jpg
    in-the-shallows-detail.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 47
The question is; Do I 'do a Keeble' on it or no?

Mike
Oi - This is a family Forum, mate - dont be provoking me into saying something my kids can beat me with! You so much as plug in anything other than a hairdryer and I'll be sending the boys round, ok?
It's a simple, elegant and beautifully crafted celebration of a single, albeit ubiquitous, image; it's a triumph -masterfully handled.

Right then...

The lappies have been consigned to a cupboard probably never to see the light of day again, the fox has been put on the 're-think' pile, and the snipe is on the backburner 'to do, (possibly)' pile.

It feels like I've been fannying about for ages, never getting over the painful hump that appears in the middle of every painting, so I took a couple of steps back from it all and worked on something simple and straightforward.

No frills, nothing clever, just a heron in the reeds. The question is; Do I 'do a Keeble' on it or no?

Mike

since you ask, I would say NO crop, as it get its special atmosphere from the summery bits floating about in the air around the reeds to left of bird as we look, so the more of that, the more atmosphere

Here's what's been happening with the 'Grins' over the last couple of days.

(Yesterday is missing because I had a dentist appointment so didn't go to work.)

Mike

Attachments

• pere1-23-02.jpg
    pere1-23-02.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 51
  • pere1-01-03.jpg
    pere1-01-03.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 55
  • pere1-03-03.jpg
    pere1-03-03.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 60
Could turn into something akin to Tunnicliffe's Peregrine Sketchbook -- lovely documentation of the comings and goings of this pair. Hope they're successful this year.

Could turn into something akin to Tunnicliffe's Peregrine Sketchbook -- lovely documentation of the comings and goings of this pair. Hope they're successful this year.

Ooooh I wish!

It would be good to see some eyasses around later in the year but they failed last year and nothing's different this year.

Apparently the building's management have declined the offer of a purpose built box 'in case they want to do any building'. Which sounds to me like they're none too happy about the presence of a protected species interfering with the important business of making profits. I hope the birds hang around and breed just to spite them!

Mike

something as beautiful as that heron must NOT be touched - don't even entertain the idea of getting out the black and decker. It's beautiful and needs the space around it to create that humid, warm atmosphere that is so pleasant in summer marshes.

Must be really nice to watch the comings and goings of the peregrines, and I'm sure you'll fill many more of these lovely narrative pages over the next few weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back