• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

around Beijing airport (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I'm transiting through Beijing on my way to Bangkok on December 30, will have quite a bit of time as I'm landing by 12am and depart by 10pm.

Would anyone have some good spots to recommend in a reasonable vicinity of the airport for some birding (even without any outstanding species)?

How much should I expect to pay to rent a taxi for half a day to wander around Beijing airport? If anyone has a reliable company or driver to recommend I'd be much interested.

Thanks!!

Hi,

I think this should be quite manageable. I don't have lots of info at hand, but will comment that you should only take a taxi from the taxi queue, not from people asking you "taxi? taxi?." When I have more time, I could give some guesses about a good destination, but hopefully others who know more will chime in.

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

Any further ideas?

- how much driving does it take to reach Miyun?
- should I expect difficulties to drive from/to the airport (jammed traffic etc) on a January 1st?
- any further good places? I looked at Terry's website, suggests Olympic Park, Summer Palace, Wenyu river - are they still ok in winter? I'm not targeting anything but birding instead of wasting my time inside the airport.

Thanks!

Pretty long range to be accurate on the weather, but at this point it looks good. Predicted to be about 5 degrees and "abundant sunshine". Or at least by Beijing standards. January 1st is kind of, sort of taken notice of, at least up here in the North-East, so I wouldn't expect a lot of difference in traffic from normal. Having said that, Beijing traffic is a nightmare normally. I believe there is a subway line from the airport now and if I am correct about that, that is the way to go. I don't know anything about Olympic Park, but the other two should be good locations. The Embassy area in Chaoyang district seemed good when I was there about 8 weeks ago. All the embassies are basically adjacent to each other.

There's definitely a train line from the airport which connects with the subway. Take that train to the #10 subway line (outer circle line) at Sanyuanqiao. The subway will get you to Olympic Park (connect to #8 line) and to the Summer Palace (connect to #4 line). It's probably 45 minutes to an hours' ride on the subway to the Summer Palace once you get to the subway.

I'd have to think those places will be crowded on a holiday though.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back