• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

400 5.6 and 1.4 (1 Viewer)

graham catley

with the ID in theory the 400 5.6 should AF with the 1.4 converter--I have struggled to find any reports of this combo with wildlife photos attched to suggest just how good it is though--anyone have any experience of using this combo on the 1D's?

I Posted this on another forum Graham and got a couple of responses.
One guy with a 1Ds MII and a 1Dn MIIn said "I do not like it, I lose a lot of contrast and sharpness on my 400 + 1.4"
Another user said it was ok and posted a couple of pics which I did not think was that great (I have done better with the combo on my 350D).

I have got a 350D and the 400f5.6 and I recently bought a 1.4 converter but not the Canon I got the Kenko Pro 300DG.

Even with the pins taped the autofocus struggles a bit and the number of throwaway pics becomes higher when I have the converter fixed on.This might be because I did not get the Canon converter.

Max.

just did a test :) 1dmk2 400f5.6 +canon 1.4tc - 1/750 f8 iso 200 on 1shot
100% crop one sharpend one not , AF works fine but is a lot slower than bare len's but for none flight shots i dont think it would be a problem
ps c2 is sharpend just in case lol
Rob

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 171
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 171
GYRob said:
just did a test :) 1dmk2 400f5.6 +canon 1.4tc - 1/750 f8 iso 200 on 1shot
100% crop one sharpend one not , AF works fine but is a lot slower than bare len's but for none flight shots i dont think it would be a problem
ps c2 is sharpend just in case lol
Rob

Quality looks pretty good Rob and has sharpened up well. I guess the af is bound to slow up a bit as the bare lens is very quick at af.

What Canon has to say about af speed with a tc:

"the EF 1.4x or 1.4x II reduces lens drive speed by approximately 50~67% depending on the lens in use."

senatore said:
This might be because I did not get the Canon converter.

Max.

If you tried using a 1.4x Canon extender it would report the lens combo max aperture as f8, and you would not get AF on your 350D. (You'd need a 1 series body or an Eos 3.)

I bought the Kenko one with my 350D and 400 F5.6. I am honestly disappointed in the quality it delivers. I need to shoot atleast 1/800 for it to stay resonably sharp. Don't get that much light very often. Mind you, I always handhold my gear.

Peter Ericsson said:
I bought the Kenko one with my 350D and 400 F5.6. I am honestly disappointed in the quality it delivers. I need to shoot atleast 1/800 for it to stay resonably sharp. Don't get that much light very often. Mind you, I always handhold my gear.

Hi Peter,

It would be interesting to see an image posted, maybe just the converted RAW or JPEG straight from the camera to see if its an equipment problem or camera shake causing the problem. I'm only wondering because to go back to 35mm film terms you're handholding a 896mm lens (assuming the tc's a 1.4) and thats a bl**dy long lens to handhold!
Again in film days the rule of thumb was to make the shutter speed at least the same as the focal length so the minimum shutter speed would be 1/1000th to expect a reasonable image. I've been shot down on this before but it's mentioned in enough books and magazines for there to be some logic in it.

Just a thought

Paul

Peter Ericsson said:
Peter I use this combo but a Canon 1.4 tc. This is about the only time that I use a Tripod or Monopod. I have handheld this combo in good light (as Paul say 1/1000 or better) but in the main I find with this combo that support gives a much better image.

I have looked over my shots where I shot the same object with and without the TC. The pictures only differs substantially when not enough light is available and I shoot with too slow a speed. I simply have to learn the limitations of the set up and work within that.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back