• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

400 f5.6 vs 300 f4 IS & 1.4xtc (1 Viewer)

Bish said:
I was wondering when you were going to post some images! Looks good

300 2.8L IS arrived today :bounce:

Thanks - not spent much time using it yet, but I'm already glad I got it.

Glad the 300 arrived - looks like a fantastic bit of glass - hope we see loads of photos in the gallery.

There was no way I could afford a 300mm f/2.8 or 400mm f/2.8. However, I have really been wanting a prime lens. After watching this and other threads, decided that I could afford the 400 5.6. Soooo, I bit the bullet last night and bought it. Should be here by Thursday. Can't wait.
You guys are really bad for my pocketbook.

:bounce::t:

Lisa W said:
There was no way I could afford a 300mm f/2.8 or 400mm f/2.8. However, I have really been wanting a prime lens. After watching this and other threads, decided that I could afford the 400 5.6. Soooo, I bit the bullet last night and bought it. Should be here by Thursday. Can't wait.
You guys are really bad for my pocketbook.

:bounce::t:

You won't be disappointed .. it's a great lens! :clap:

I have now tried both and to be honest, in my opinion, this is a no contest. The 400mm prime without converter is streets ahead.

Max (or anyone else),
With the pins taped, are you getting decent autofocus with the Canon 1.4 attached to the 400mm? I know it has to be in good light, etc, but am looking for something to give me a little longer reach.
The 400mm came in to late last night to try out, can't wait to get home today and see how it does.

Last edited:
OK, gentlemen (haven't seen any other women on this thread),
Attached are pictures from today. Probably shouldn't post as they aren't very good, the light was definitely in the wrong place when I got home.
1st picture is of a white crowned sparrow, cropped and I tried to sharpen - don't think I did a great job on it. This was taken with the 400mm and a Tamron 1.4 with pins taped.
2nd picture is of a flying house finch, cropped and sharpened. Taken with the 100-400mm IS and Tamron 1.4 with pins taped.
They aren't the best due to light and the photographer, but do show a little about the lens' both were taken from the about the same distance from the birds.

Attachments

• 400mm w 1.4 Sparrow.jpg
    400mm w 1.4 Sparrow.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 138
  • house finch 100-400 w 1.4.jpg
    house finch 100-400 w 1.4.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 140
Lisa W said:
Max (or anyone else),
With the pins taped, are you getting decent autofocus with the Canon 1.4 attached to the 400mm? I know it has to be in good light, etc, but am looking for something to give me a little longer reach.
The 400mm came in to late last night to try out, can't wait to get home today and see how it does.

Hi Lisa W,
well, as you say, this kit is known to hunt a bit with poor-lit subjects and/or low contrast ... I found that it helps prefocussing manually and then fine tune with AF (I always use the centre focus point) ... I'm quite satisfied with its AF performance, and the TC is actually glued to my lens since I mainly shoot in wetlands, marshes etc. where a long reach is often needed. Sometimes I switch to MF, especially when shooting passerines at short reach among twigs and branches - where AF isn't very precise and quick
Cheers,
Max

Hi Max,
Thanks for the hints. I put my Tamron 1.4 on and it seems to be doing pretty good. I am manually prefocusing if there are branches. Should get a good workout this week as we are off school for "spring" break. I plan on birding at least 4 days.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back