• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

JTMB's Bird Art (3 Viewers)

Nice to see you back John. We've gone straight from rainy spring to hot, humid summer. I hope you fare better there.

I've struggled much with house sparrows. You did a good job on these. As with Colleen I'm eager to see the Grosbeaks.

Love the house sparrow (spuggie) - truly excellent. Eldest daughter complains of the noise from our roof 'cos of these. I wouldn't mind a grosbeak or two . . . ;)

Have missed seeing your great sketches John.

But looking back thru them has filled me with the Lemonade of Delight. And you have shaken the bottle before pouring...B :)

Sage Thrasher is my favourite sketch...Of recent ones...

Keep up the good work!:t:

Good to see you back drawing the important things in life John! I'm lucky enough to have a colony of 20 or so spuggies visit my garden feeders and bath regularly. They're bringing their babies at the moment too.

Mike

Peregrine Youngster at the Ugly Stage

Our terribly wet spring weather continues to put a damper on sketching the Peregrine chick at the nearby falls, but of course he/she continues to grow very nicely. The youngster is probably rather pampered, considering mom and dad fledged three and four birds in the previous two seasons and only have the one to contend with this year.

The baby has reached that gangly/ugly stage where the down is more dirty gray than white and the emerging feathers create splotches here and there all over the bird. The other thing that is obvious at this stage is the massive size of the feet relative to the body size. Of course, the adults have very large feet and long, strong legs, but because of the way they are carried or held when perching, it's not something you notice as much as on young birds.

This is a quick sketch I did this morning, using a friend's reference photo in addition to visual memory from a field trip I led last Monday in which we stopped and scoped the youngster for some time - to the ooohhs and aaahhs of the participants and tourists that came by as well.

This is graphite in an 11 x 8 1/2 inch Robert Bateman sketchbook.

104-0136-PAN-PEFAChick-SDPhoto-May29,11.jpg

Not ugly in the least! It's amazing how big peregrines' feet are. If you paint 'em actual length it can sometimes look totally wrong! The eyasses have a way of sitting back on their haunches and putting their feet out in front of them, just as you've captured here, that accentuates the length. I'd welcome more sketches of these birds John, they make a great subject.

Mike

Very fine work indeed, John. Bob will be wanting that back, y'know.

There he goes again: making me spill my first cup of coffee all over myself!

Well now that I've cleaned that up I can only echo what others have said: a very, lively drawing and full of character. I think it is one of your best in terms of having your own personal feeling to it. Let's hope that rain finally ends.

Thanks Colleen, Gaby, Tim, Mike and Ken!

Tim - Bob said I could use it for a couple weeks, just as long as I autographed it for him before returning it...! ;):-O

Thanks, Phil!

Here is a quick watercolor sketch of three Evening Grosbeaks from among the flock of 40 or so that has been visiting our feeders for the last week or so. Boy, can they eat! And they are quite vocal, chattering away from dawn to dusk. This was done in a 12 x 9 inch Aquabee Deluxe sketchbook, with the initial drawing done in gray ink, then watercolor washes.

104-0221-PAN-EVGRsFromYardPhoto-Jun4,11.jpg

Great composition John - love the foremost character peering into frame. There's a very deft touch of brilliant spectrum yellow highlight on the rear bird's crown - nice!

Great composition John - love the foremost character peering into frame. There's a very deft touch of brilliant spectrum yellow highlight on the rear bird's crown - nice!

Very nice John. Lovely work, what a cracking bird to have in your garden. Never seen one of these:(

A nice sense of life to this John. And as others have said well composed to boot. Looks to me like a very promising direction for your work.

very expressive and the birds have great character,

I have to step out of line with the rest and say putting the bird smack in the center and further making a wall of division between the two sides of the background with the birds, does not give my eye a path to travel around very easily, and in fact creates some difficulty making a jump in background and subject. In rare instances the subject smack in the middle may work in the hands of a great painter who knows how to break the "rules" but it is called dead center for a reason. Many paintings of the birds here are done this way, so maybe it works for you. By training and nature I prefer the paintings that let my eye move throughout the composition like the ear hears music, one of plan and design.

It is an issue to think about and study from the masters, maybe you can find a Lars where its in the middle like this, but I would be surprised, Its just something to think over and study from painters you love. I realize this was more of a quick sketch. But if you worked it up you may wish to reconsider the composition.

Very nicely done, John! I particularly like the way you've captured the 3/4 view of the bird's head. With bills this big, I imagine that these are blighters to get right. Nice frame fillers, too - not some farty little things.
Russ

Thanks Tim, Alan, Ken, Colleen and Russ!

Colleen - This one really wasn't intended as a prelude for a finished piece, it was just done as a sketch/quick study - and Russ actually hinted at my primary reason for doing it...that being the massive bills on these birds. I have issues with bills anyway - maybe because I know birds well enough that I can instantly tell when things aren't 'right' - but doing the Evening Grosbeak bills in other sketches has been a challenge, particularly straight-on views. So here I tried to get a few different angles on the bills for practice. It's certainly not a conventional composition, and sometimes I think that's a good thing - otherwise compositions can get too formulaic; sometimes different is good. I probably wouldn't consider doing a studio piece with this composition, although I like the unusual arrangement of the three birds, because the two sides are pretty empty of other elements. I might consider cropping it to a slightly vertical, or square, format with the three birds dominating. More likely, I would come up with a completely different composition showing the birds in a bit more expected habitat - here they were chowing down on seed I had spread on our gravel walkway.

And Russ, you are definitely correct - getting those bills correct is a big challenge!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back