• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost Land of the Tiger camera traps (1 Viewer)

What fun - I didn't realize how cheap these cameras are - especially in the US - by the way you can also buy security boxes for them.

Or maybe ;)

But certainly would be interested in the exact details of locality where you will deposit it, preferably with co-ordinates and the dates/times that you plan to leave it unattended.

Yes, I'd be interested. I've given the details of the camera traps to my wife and reminded her of my 40th birthday in January, so fingers crossed. However, she's due to give birth three days before my birthday so it may not be top of her priorities!

A thing to be wary with is the start up time. Some of the cheaper ones can have a time of three seconds or more between detecting something and taking the first picture. It might not sound a lot but it is easily enough for a creature to walk past or to grab some bait and run off to cover. I have one I brought for use on a conservation project in Africa and the only success I had was at a small watering hole. There is a frustration about setting them up, I would defiantly take a laptop with you into the field when you are setting up, as most don't have anyway to view the pictures. It can be very frustrating to set it up, leave it out for a few days then bring it back to base, whip out the SD card and find that it isn't pointing where you though it was.

If you get a camera with an IR flash bear in mind that the flash is just on or off there is no metering going on, so experiment with range it is easy to get things washed out or too dark.

Best of luck!

A thing to be wary with is the start up time. Some of the cheaper ones can have a time of three seconds or more between detecting something and taking the first picture. It might not sound a lot but it is easily enough for a creature to walk past or to grab some bait and run off to cover. I have one I brought for use on a conservation project in Africa and the only success I had was at a small watering hole. There is a frustration about setting them up, I would defiantly take a laptop with you into the field when you are setting up, as most don't have anyway to view the pictures. It can be very frustrating to set it up, leave it out for a few days then bring it back to base, whip out the SD card and find that it isn't pointing where you though it was.

If you get a camera with an IR flash bear in mind that the flash is just on or off there is no metering going on, so experiment with range it is easy to get things washed out or too dark.

Best of luck!

Thanks for that, Bushnell claim start up is less than a second so hopefully that'll be quick enough... as for getting the right position, I did wonder about that. I thought about first just practicing to get an idea of field of view, then taking a camera along to the set up point to try and get the right angle. This camera also has a light sensor so hopefully the IR won't cause too many problems like you mention. Practice makes perfect I guess and thanks for the tips!

So I've had the camera for a week now and it's not had an idle night...

Best night was last night, rigged near a composter to hopefully get some footage of wood mice. I wasn't amazed at how good the sensor was before, but on these closer shots it's managed to trigger and start filming before a mouse even appears in the frame on a few videos. Quality is great, I've got a nice little video of a wood mouse playing with a couple of slaters which is quite impressive, and the infra red is not so strong that you just get glare in the middle of the film. Very easy to set up, it comes with it's own long strap, the best thing is it's so dinky and unobtrusive. A reasonably observant person could walk past it in the woods a couple of metres away and not notice. It does give out a faint red glow at night though.

I'll start a proper thread of my endeavors at some point (mission 1: stoat in local woods, first attempt unsuccessful), but if anyone is sitting there just pondering, stop pondering and just go for it. It cost me about £200 with a new 8gb SD card (nearly 4 hours of high quality video) and 8 batteries, but well worth it.

Does it have a setting for taking stills? Eg. every 5 seconds or something when triggered.

Yes there's a setting for still photos though I haven't tried it yet. You can set it to take 1, 2 or 3 photos at 3, 5 or 8 mp, then same as the video I think, you set an interval time before it will trigger again. The default is 10 seconds but I just have it at 1, the lowest. I'll stick it out in the garden tonight on stills and see what happens...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back