• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hawks (1 Viewer)

I'm new here, and hope this is the correct place to ask this question. I feed ~40 # black sunflower seeds and ~40# classic bird feed every 2 weeks in metal feeders, in my front yard. I've been doing so for 25+ years. Lately, I have a red tailed hawk, and looks like a blue tailed hawk, feeding here. I see feathers sometimes, under the feeders. my question is, how do I deter these birds? I don't want to shoot them; illegal, and not my way, personally.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob

I've moved your post to the Garden Bird forum, as I think you're more likely to get the help and suggestions you need in there, particularly in providing cover for the small birds.

Do remember, that hawks have their part to play in maintaining a healthy natural balance though, and have their own chicks to feed as well.

I've subscribed you to this thread, so it's easy for you to keep track of it.

Blue-tailed Hawk is a new one on me - can you get a picture of it?

Hi Bob

I've moved your post to the Garden Bird forum, as I think you're more likely to get the help and suggestions you need in there, particularly in providing cover for the small birds.

Do remember, that hawks have their part to play in maintaining a healthy natural balance though, and have their own chicks to feed as well.

I've subscribed you to this thread, so it's easy for you to keep owl and a track of it.

Blue-tailed Hawk is a new one on me - can you get a picture of it?

This may actually be a sharp shinned hawk. My grandfather used to call them skimmer hawks, as they soared so close to the ground. Around our part of the world, they are aggressive, and will actually go into a thicket, after prey, fascinating to watch. I have never, and will never kill a bird of prey. I watch a Great Horned Owl and a Barn Owl, just before dark, too. Occasionally, Bald Eagles will appear. I live about 3 miles from the Lake Gaston and Roanoke River Dams. They're after my rabbits, field mice, rats, etc. These "guys" have a tough way of "making a living". Guess I'll keep observing them. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back