• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (49 Viewers)

fantastic day photographing the glossy ibis :t:
just uploading to my flickr

post code for anyone thinking of going is SY79AH will take you right to the bird if its still there guys n gals :t:

Hope you asked it to stick around till the weekend - heading there Saturday all being well (and present).

Phil I don't know if you noticed this (below). I posted it on Friday 4th Oct. I had a look through a few ringing schemes but couldn't locate this one.

The large gull were mostly juv LBBGs with 15 herrings, one of the LBBG was sporting a black darvic ring on its right leg with yellow letters 'K+P'.

This Lesser Black-backed Gull was ringed (as a male) in Cardiff on the 2nd July 2012. It was observed at Figueira da Foz, Portugal (approx 70 miles south of Porto) on 11th November 2012.

Birding after and during the work party at the Moors.
The wigeon that Bob O had in the morning had gone. A small amount of movement included: 7 siskin, 3 raven high up calling, meadow pipit and 2 mistle thrush. Just a handful of chiffchaff remained , a blackcap 'chacked' and a cettis sang. Water rails seemingly called from everywhere and at least 8 were seen or heard. At 4.30pm a flurry of activity, saw 28 shoveler and a ruff appear - from the Flashes (not sure why or what flushed them), also 2 common gulls joined the gull flock. I stayed until dark but the Bitterns never showed.
species count at the MOORS:
GCG 7 (3 juvs), little grebe 12 ( 1 juv still being fed by an adult), cormorant 9, grey heron 6, teal 20, shoveler 5 + 28 from the Flashes, tufted 32, pochard 9 (5 fems + 4 males), greylags 40, buzzard 4, pheasant, water rail 8, snipe 8, dunlin, lapwing 76, ruff, BHG 800, common gull ad + 1st winter, herring gull 20, LBBG 40, stock dove, kingfisher, green woodpecker, Raven 3, jay 2, mistle thrush 2, cettis warbler, blackcap, chiffchaff 3+, goldcrest, meadow pipit 2, grey wagtail, siskin 7, reed bunting 8,

work at Moors today

Today the 14 of us split into 2 groups. ( no photos)
The one group, cleared in front and to the sides of the North Moors viewing screens. The cuttings were used to thicken up the dead hedging.
The 2nd group: removed 2 years of growth, on the pollards along the salwarp track. These pollards have shaded out the 50 thorn bushes that were planted 2 years ago in this area. However they have all survived and doing well. Some of the willows will be treated and in a few years a viable scrubby area will result.
We also cleared the rank vegetation in front of the concrete hide, this will aid views for the togs and birders from this hide.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Ruff (3)---------------------Common Sand
Snipe (1)--------------------Curlew (8)
Lapwing (75)----------------Teal(57)
Shoveler (25)----------------Meadow Pipit (2)
Raven (2)-------------------Kestrel
Rook (3)

MOORS:
Pochard (6)-----------------Gadwall (pr)
Shoveler (6)----------------Water Rail (2)
Little Grebe (3)-------------G C Grebe (4)
Greylag Goose (31)---------Canada Goose (129)
Cormorant (12)-------------Common Gull ( 1W)

There was no sign of Bittern (s) by 19.05.

Des.

Great captures Vern, I've herd a few people talk about the Wryneck in Gloucestershire. I've been away on holiday so i've missed it. Does anyone think it will still be down there? I'm hoping to get over to Upton Warren again soon so i'll hopefully see you around. I'm also looking for Goshawks in the Wyre Forest if anyone knows anything about them?

Cheers,
Matt.

Paul A. Has just phoned to say, that there is some 'vis mig'going on at the reserve right now. Redwing mistle thrushes mostly. The NE winds are really bringing in wintering birds all alongthe east coast and some inland high points. 55,000 redwings recorded at one spot. I think tomorrow could bring something. On the east coast plenty of seabirds including pom skuas and leaches petrels.
At least 1 ruff on flashes. A few fieldfare just over.

Last edited:
survey at Flashes

Just received a text from the Trust. It states that there will be a survey starting at 9.15am tomorrown this survey will hopefully help formulate a stragedy to tackle the phragmites problem around the 2nd Flash.
This means I will have to get up a little earlier than I wanted to. There willl be something tomorrow. ...............I hope;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back