Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.95 average.
Old Saturday 28th October 2017, 12:52   #401
Ullades Naturals

Bramblings

Bramblings have also arrived to our hides in the Aitana mountain (Confrides, Costa Blanca)

HIDE "VENTISQUER" - http://ulladesnaturals.com/hide-ventisquer/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0956webbirds.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	644491  Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0966webbirds.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	644492  
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 11:50   #402
Brian Stone
A Stone chatting

Totally failed to connect with any Hawfinches in the UK so it was brilliant to pick up two flying south over the Carabasi Dunes this morning on my 6th day here in the area. Also saw a Bluethroat again at Clot de Galvany this morning. One briefly on the eastern end of the track just behind the overgrown central hide area. Also saw one in front of the western hide on 8th Nov. Neither was on view long enough to photograph. A single Redwing here on 7th, good views of a Purple Heron on same day and a mass arrival of Common Starlings on 10th. There are a few White-headed Ducks on the large central pool every day. Staying for nearly 2 months so hopefully more stuff to come.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 18:53   #403
Brian Stone
A Stone chatting

Heard a Wryneck on the Clot de Galvany this afternoon. One burst of song just west of the western hide. Couldn't locate the bird but a Dartford Warbler in the same area. Impressive numbers of Starlings seen distantly swirling somewhere over Alicante.

Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 15:20   #404
Bafty

Here you are Brian.....

https://rpswildlifetravels.blogspot.co.uk

Name:	_T6A0441.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	646338
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 18:06   #405
Brian Stone
A Stone chatting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bafty View Post
Cheers. 2 Siskins on the reserve today and 13 Turnstones and a Whimbrel on the beach. 9 White-headed Duck was my highest count in the 8 days I've been covering the site. 2 House Martins again today as well.

Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 18:58   #406
Ullades Naturals

At least 20 Citril finch in Aitana mountain on Monday, were saw from our hides.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	23518807_1368236373305536_495254677002082864_n.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	646505  
Old Sunday 19th November 2017, 11:52   #407
Brian Stone
A Stone chatting

Stone Curlew and Whiskered Tern on Clot de Galvarny this morning.

Old Tuesday 21st November 2017, 20:32   #408
Brian Stone
A Stone chatting

Clot de Galvarny: Whiskered Tern still today. 6 Stone Curlews. A Red-rumped Swallow (latish?) with Crag and House Martins.

Old Wednesday 22nd November 2017, 11:35   #409
Brian Stone
A Stone chatting

Another few additions for me at El Clot de Galvany this morning. Black-winged Stilt and Red-crested Pochard were not unexpected but a Subalpine Warbler sp. was a bit of a surprise. Bore some resemblance to the bird photographed here. First picked up on sub-song then gave brief views showing some limited brown on the tertials, pale pinkish throat with white sides before the greyish head, pale pinky-buff wash to the flanks, no noticeable colour around the eye. Not much else to go on really unfortunately but would welcome any thoughts on such a record. Cheers.
http://i0.wp.com/birdingfrontiers.co...ook-1-of-1.jpg

Old Saturday 25th November 2017, 12:19   #410
Brian Stone
A Stone chatting

A single Fieldfare over seaward end of El Clot calling this morning. A few more Siskins about and a Jack Snipe flushed from directly in front of the main hide. Landed very close by just to the right so is still there.

Old Monday 27th November 2017, 09:47   #411
rosbifs

Managed to get a short visit to the Clot reserve on the 16th November - chasing the White headed Duck down. I got one.

Other highlights were a Little Owl that flew over my head and into the bushes (it was 11am!), a Water Rail that crossed the pond in front of me, a Southern grey Shrike by the 'obsolete' hide in the middle, Gallinule, Red Crested Pochard, Teal, a common (would liked to have seen the red rumped) swallow. Lots of Sardinian Warbler and I thought I caught a glimpse of a Dartford Warbler around the corner before the first raised viewing point but it dissappeared into the scrub.

I am massively behind in sorting out pictures and notes from here and El Hondo, Calpe - pressure of getting restaurant back up and running!!!
Old Tuesday 28th November 2017, 10:36   #412
Mark Etheridge
Bird Shooter (With A Camera)

Subalpine Warbler is fairly regular though not common in the Clot. I have seen most in the Autumn, usually juveniles, but last spring I had adult birds present, particularly in the area around the 3rd hide (the "dry hide"), here's the best shot taken on 28th March this year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3097.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	647510  
Old Tuesday 28th November 2017, 22:11   #413
Brian Stone
A Stone chatting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Etheridge View Post
Subalpine Warbler is fairly regular though not common in the Clot. I have seen most in the Autumn, usually juveniles, but last spring I had adult birds present, particularly in the area around the 3rd hide (the "dry hide"), here's the best shot taken on 28th March this year.
Cheers Mark. The only thing that bothered me really was seemed to me a rather late date.

Old Thursday 30th November 2017, 10:52   #414
Brian Stone
A Stone chatting

El Clot de Galvarny

Fairly brief views of Bluethroat, Wryneck (and Cetti's Warbler) all showing at the western (dry?) hide. The views of Wryneck were stunning as you can see from this video still!

Also 2 Black-necked Grebes at the first (main) hide. Not seen them here in nearly 4 weeks of watching most days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wryneck_30nov17_still_6868.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	647663  

Old Friday 1st December 2017, 23:29   #415
Brian Stone
A Stone chatting

Some vegetation has been cut around the main hide at El Clot and a Bluethroat was showing well there to the right today. Also the 2 Black-necked Grebes and at least one White-headed Duck still on the water.

https://youtu.be/34robhs1zVU

A Stone Curlew flew over towards the Central Charca where a Whiskered Tern and a House Martin showed.

rosbifs: I've now seen Dartford Warbler in at least 4 areas on the reserve and outside on the rough scrub on the southern side west of the housing in the past 4 weeks.

Old Saturday 2nd December 2017, 13:32   #416
Mark Etheridge

If they start to cut down the overgrown scrape area while you are there Brian, it will definitely be worth watching, last year it became a magnet for all sorts of interesting birds when it was cleared! It should be due its "annual haircut" any time now, it's just a pity they don't manage it very well, although I am sure that breeding birds did very well this year. Just keeping a clear space in front of the hide would make all the difference.
Old Sunday 3rd December 2017, 19:54   #417
Brian Stone
A Stone chatting

Thanks Mark. I keep checking every day. The reserve goes on giving though (despite hoards doing some sort of treasure hunt there today). The first Golden Plover of my stay flew over today calling but stayed fairly high. 2 Barn Swallows (seen very few in the past four weeks) and a House Martin were also good as Crag Martin numbers way down following the recent cold weather. Wryneck calling again by the 'dry' hide but not showing. Black-necked Grebes still there. White-headed Ducks on both lagoons and Red-crested Pochard numbers building on the central lagoon. Saw my first Fox here today too.

Old Sunday 3rd December 2017, 21:46   #418
Mark Etheridge

If you're after Golden Plover in winter, the best place to look for them is to go north of Gran Alacant on the N332, pass through the tunnel at El Altet and straight on past the airport junction, the low lying land on your right between the main road and the tower blocks of Urbanova is called the "Humedal Urbanova". I think I've read somewhere that it's going to become another nature reserve - not a lot has been done so far but there is a track crossing it from the N332 towards the towers and flocks of plovers gather here at this time, particularly in colder weather.

It can be a bit of a dodgy turn off to get onto the track from the N332 with fast traffic coming up behind you, you might do better to continue towards Alicante and take a sharp right turn at the traffic lights, heading back towards the towers where you can access the track from that road.
Old Monday 4th December 2017, 21:33   #419
Bafty

Will be back out in five weeks, I'll bring my woolies !
Old Monday 4th December 2017, 21:42   #420
Brian Stone
A Stone chatting

I know the spot you mean there. Looks like old (perhaps very old) salinas. Seems to be some standing water but I've only really seen it from the bus to Alicante as I'm not using a car much while here. I'm happy working the local patch on foot and it threw up another new one for my stay today when 7 Cranes passed over heading south. Thought it was too late for much Crane movement so this was another welcome surprise.

Still Whiskered Tern and 3 House Martins today over the large lagoon and had 15 White-headed Ducks there (highest count so far). Bluethroat showed very briefly again at the main hide where 2 White-headed Ducks and at least 1 Black-necked Grebe remain. Plain Tiger butterfly was also a nice addition to my sightings here.

Middle hide is still fully hirsute!

Old Thursday 7th December 2017, 10:03   #421
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Hola All,
Just to let you know, Tonn the G S Eagle should be with you soon, he's just gone past Toulouse after a right old dawdle through Switzerland and Eastern France!
Old Thursday 7th December 2017, 15:00   #422
Torchepot

Been following his progress with some concern - considering his earliest arrival at El Hondo was September the 1st in 2013 - if I remember rightly!

No idea why he's so late this year - just hoping he's in good health. At his current rate of progress he should make it before Christmas at least.

Recent news of yet another LSE continuing the recent trend and several sightings of a Black-winged Kite. Incidentally there have been 4 B-W Kite seen together in the South of Limousin last month - maybe part of a more widespread dispersal?

Last edited by Torchepot : Thursday 7th December 2017 at 15:41.
Old Thursday 7th December 2017, 15:31   #423
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Tonn's wanderings

He's certainly wandering all over the shop, today he's tracking WSW towards Pau/Lourdes instead of cruising SE towards Perpignan and the Spanish border.
Old Friday 8th December 2017, 22:41   #424
Brian Stone
A Stone chatting

On Wednesday I took a trip inland with some friends and jammed in on two Golden Eagles over Sax Castle. They drifted off in the direction of the sierra to the SE.

Yesterday had 4 Crossbills early morning over NE end of Gran Alacant then a flock of 6 over the market at the south end of town. 2 Firecrests at the east end of El Clot were the first I'd seen here although I'd heard a calls a few times before. 2 Siskin flew inland in the morning and had a Bluethroat by the path overlooking the central lagoon where there were 2 House Martins in the afternoon.

Took a scope down this afternoon and pulled 3 Gadwall, a drake Pintail and a very elusive Greylag out on the main lagoon (all new for me for the past 5 weeks, although maybe overlooked as I'm normally only with bins). 218 Cattle Egret to roost at dusk. Still Black-necked Grebe from the main hide.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	golden_eagle_6dec17_640w_6980.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	648245  

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: