• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Alicante Province (1 Viewer)

Hola All,
Just to let you know, Tonn the G S Eagle should be with you soon, he's just gone past Toulouse after a right old dawdle through Switzerland and Eastern France!

Been following his progress with some concern - considering his earliest arrival at El Hondo was September the 1st in 2013 - if I remember rightly!

No idea why he's so late this year - just hoping he's in good health. At his current rate of progress he should make it before Christmas at least.

Recent news of yet another LSE continuing the recent trend and several sightings of a Black-winged Kite. Incidentally there have been 4 B-W Kite seen together in the South of Limousin last month - maybe part of a more widespread dispersal?

Last edited:
Tonn's wanderings

He's certainly wandering all over the shop, today he's tracking WSW towards Pau/Lourdes instead of cruising SE towards Perpignan and the Spanish border.

On Wednesday I took a trip inland with some friends and jammed in on two Golden Eagles over Sax Castle. They drifted off in the direction of the sierra to the SE.

Yesterday had 4 Crossbills early morning over NE end of Gran Alacant then a flock of 6 over the market at the south end of town. 2 Firecrests at the east end of El Clot were the first I'd seen here although I'd heard a calls a few times before. 2 Siskin flew inland in the morning and had a Bluethroat by the path overlooking the central lagoon where there were 2 House Martins in the afternoon.

Took a scope down this afternoon and pulled 3 Gadwall, a drake Pintail and a very elusive Greylag out on the main lagoon (all new for me for the past 5 weeks, although maybe overlooked as I'm normally only with bins). 218 Cattle Egret to roost at dusk. Still Black-necked Grebe from the main hide.

Attachments

• golden_eagle_6dec17_640w_6980.jpg
    golden_eagle_6dec17_640w_6980.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 28
Had a mooch at the 'dry hide' at Clot De Galvany today for a Wryneck. No joy as usual, but a Green Woodpecker, Marsh Harrier, Crag Martins, Great Grey Shrike, Chiff-chaffs and lots of finches

Back inland at Tres Fuentes near Pinoso, Black Wheatear, Chough, around 300 Serin.

Hi Mark (et al!)

Great thread, full of useful information! I have just booked up to meet a friend in Benidorm for his 50th early/mid May but have 'book-ended' it with a couple of days in El Altet either side!
Rest assured I will be following with great interest and quite possibly pestering you for specifics nearer the time!

Best regards,

Chris

It's very quiet on here .... I'm keeping up to date on the Costa Blanca Bird Club site. I'm out next week for a few days but mostly committed to touristy stuff.

I'm back out in a couple of weeks and I'll try and post some reports, in the mean time there's some daily trip report and images from last January and usually monthly before that on.......https://rpswildlifetravels.blogspot.co.uk

Migrants are filtering through in the UK so I would expect it to be in full swing in Murcia

Migrants are filtering through in the UK so I would expect it to be in full swing in Murcia

I've been exchanging e-mails with Graham Critchell ("Where To watch Birds In The Costa Blanca") recently and can confirm Spring has certainly 'sprung' there! Plenty of Hirundines already sighted and loads of Alpine swifts a couple of days ago! Have agreat time Bafty, I look forward to your reports!

Chris

Just tree weeks to go.....

Here's an image from January of a Stone Curlew close to the property near Pilar

untitled-391-2.jpg

Last edited:
This time next week... :)

Can't wait to get out on my bike again around El Hondo and the Salinas, as it's a year since the last visit to the area (having missed out on a summer visit in 2017 in favour of a family trip to Orlando!)

Anything to keep an eye out for at the moment?

This time next week... :)

Can't wait to get out on my bike again around El Hondo and the Salinas, as it's a year since the last visit to the area (having missed out on a summer visit in 2017 in favour of a family trip to Orlando!)

Anything to keep an eye out for at the moment?

I'm out there the beginning of May so I've been keeping a close eye on Graham Critchell's website (he updates it frequently), I'd say most of 'the usual suspects' are there.

Chris

Last edited:
Lovely Stone Curlew pic there, was surprised to see one in the rough above the first pond at Clot De Galvany on Saturday. Other highlights of a five day trip a Booted Eagle flying low on the back rad between Cañada Del Trigo and Pinoso, a Blue Rock Thrush on the salt mountain, Encebras side and lots of Rock Bunting, Crested Tits and Crossbills at Tres Fuentes.

There doesn't seem to be a thread for Murcia, but just over the border saw an Eagle (looked Golden, but couldn't be sure) at the top of Pila and a fab Roller yesterday at the junction of A-9 and MU-9A just south of El Partidor.

Some interesting stuff reported at San Felipe couple of days back including, Spotted Crake still, GS Cuckoo, Hobby, Alpine & Little Swift, RF Falcon on Boundary Road

Will call in at El Hondo on Saturday, fingers crossed

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back