• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Access to the Farnes in late August (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
I asked this question on the Northumbrian Birding thread, but didn't get a reply, probably because there are so many other things happening on that thread (3000+ posts), so perhaps somebody here can help me.

I'm off to Lindisfarne for a few nights next week. Very often at this time of year, reports of rarities or semi rarities come from the Farnes. For example, within the past two weeks there have been reports of Barred Warbler and Greenish Warbler on the islands.

Obviously staying so close, if the right bird appeared, I might be tempted to visit the islands if it is possible. So the question is, can general birders visit the islands at this time of year? I thought that boats only landed during the seabird breeding season, which has now finished for the year.

I suspect that the reports are put out by ringers who have special access to the islands, and are meant for information only.

There is a small team of resident wardens on the islands. I know this because I applied for a post there myself once, and nearly got it, if it wasn't for.......

Anyway, that's old history. I'm not bitter. Well, maybe a bit. They stay there till well into the autumn and now the seabirds have gone, they turn their attention to seals, and find some rare birds in the meantime. How quickly the info would get out and how easily you'd be able to get there in the event of something good turning up I couldn't say.

I appreciate this doesn't really answer your question, but could I be cheeky and add a second question of my own, relating to the same area? How easy is it to visit Coquet Island and see - and photograph - the Roseate Terns? I thought that it was possible to get a boat trip that passed, but didn't land, there. If so, does anyone have details, and does anyone know how close the birds can be seen?

I asked this question on the Northumbrian Birding thread, but didn't get a reply, probably because there are so many other things happening on that thread (3000+ posts), so perhaps somebody here can help me.

I'm off to Lindisfarne for a few nights next week. Very often at this time of year, reports of rarities or semi rarities come from the Farnes. For example, within the past two weeks there have been reports of Barred Warbler and Greenish Warbler on the islands.

Obviously staying so close, if the right bird appeared, I might be tempted to visit the islands if it is possible. So the question is, can general birders visit the islands at this time of year? I thought that boats only landed during the seabird breeding season, which has now finished for the year.

I suspect that the reports are put out by ringers who have special access to the islands, and are meant for information only.

There is not usually special access provided to the "off-islands" e.g. Brownsman, but tourist boats continue to run as there is local/historical interest to the islands as well as wildlife (Grace Darling etc.....).

Special charters for twitches have been arranged in the past e.g. for Yellow-breasted Bunting on Inner Farne (a tick for me and sharing the island with a Red-backed Shrike as well as some zonking Brambling). It just needs the right bird on the right island.

John

There is a small team of resident wardens on the islands. I know this because I applied for a post there myself once, and nearly got it, if it wasn't for.......

Anyway, that's old history. I'm not bitter. Well, maybe a bit. They stay there till well into the autumn and now the seabirds have gone, they turn their attention to seals, and find some rare birds in the meantime. How quickly the info would get out and how easily you'd be able to get there in the event of something good turning up I couldn't say.

I appreciate this doesn't really answer your question, but could I be cheeky and add a second question of my own, relating to the same area? How easy is it to visit Coquet Island and see - and photograph - the Roseate Terns? I thought that it was possible to get a boat trip that passed, but didn't land, there. If so, does anyone have details, and does anyone know how close the birds can be seen?

"Puffin Cruises" at Amble (01665 711975) is what you're looking for.

http://www.northumberland-coast.co.uk/amble.php

I've never needed to use them, so I've no idea about seasons, times etc, but they are popular. They can't land on Coquet Island, but they get close in for good views of the birds & seals. Too late for puffins now, I think, but still worth a trip maybe. The island's only a mile offshore.

Cheers Alan, I'm thinking about the Farnes next year and I was wondering if it was possible to visit Coquet and get Roseate photos whilst I'm up that way. Looks like Coigach is probably going to be satisfied too.

For boat trips around Coquet Island;

http://www.omegacharters.co.uk/

This company operates the RSPB approved charter boat for cruises to Coquet Island and their trips include an up-to-date commentary by one of the resident wardens. A very good way to avoid believing all of the wildly inaccurate info about Roseates posted elsewhere on BF;)

cheers
martin

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back